AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mini system running a PVR using server drives for storage. Problem I am having is I have mapped the network drives to drive letter and checked the reconnect at logon box. However when I reboot the network drives are not connected. As soon I click on them in my computer they connect. What I need to make this family friendly is for them to connect when booted. Anyone have any ideas why they are not conecting at Logon??? I am running XP pro and have a wired lan connection to the server.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevorsplace
I have a Mini system running a PVR using server drives for storage. Problem I am having is I have mapped the network drives to drive letter and checked the reconnect at logon box. However when I reboot the network drives are not connected. As soon I click on them in my computer they connect. What I need to make this family friendly is for them to connect when booted. Anyone have any ideas why they are not conecting at Logon??? I am running XP pro and have a wired lan connection to the server.
Are you running a server on your network, or just a bunch of standalone computers with shared folders? If you're running a server like Windows 2000 server, it could be that your DNS isn't configured correctly, which would prevent the drives from automatically connecting at logon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had this problem before. I cant say for sure I know what causes it, but I have seen a few patterns.

When I had some computers on a domain and some on a workgroup, the ones on the workgroup had to click the drive to mount it. People on the domain generally were able to just log in and access.

This always led me to believe that it was an authentication thing. basically the domain controller in a domain authenticates you so the drive has no reason (or authority) to stop you from accessing.

If you think about it, the authentication would normally occur when you OPEN the drive not just mount it. That is generally why it has no problem mounting when you click it.

As a test I would try the following:

On you local machine, get rid of your passwords. Then set the machine to not require any actual login just boot directly into the windows desktop. (directions at end of post).

On the machine hosting the mounted drive, make sure the user name has no password also.

See if this works. If it does, your solution will either be no password on the local machine, or running a domain to administer it.

AUTOMATIC LOGIN:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run...

2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2

3. Click OK.

4. A window will appear. Near the top, will be a checkbox for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." To enable automatic login, uncheck this box, and select the account you wish to have automatically login.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can try acouple of things:

1 - Set all XP machines to same workgroup name

2 - Put a batch file in All Users\\Start Menu\\Programs\\Startup

i.e. in a file called connect.cmd:

net use x: \\\\computername\\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES

3 - Assign static IP addresses to each computer, especially if you are using DHCP from a router, then in Explorer, map a drive to \\\\IP.Address\\share name

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
137 Posts
This seems to be a common problem with no good solution.

In my situation I want my htpc to have access to some shares on a separate media server, and I use myHTPC as a front-end. So here's what I do:

1. Suppose there are two shares named "Music" and "Photos" on the media server called "Server1" which I want to have mapped to drives X: and Y: on the htpc.

2. I have a batch file called "startmyhtpc.bat" with these 4 lines in it:

net use x: \\\\Server1\\Music

net use y: \\\\Server1\\Photos

cd "c:\\Program Files\\myhtpc"

myhtpc.exe

3. I have a shortcut to this batch file with a hotkey assigned to it (I use F10).

4. On my remote I have the "MyHtpc" button programmed to send a F10 keystroke. Of course I could just hit F10 on the keyboard as well.

This technique is a bit clumsy, but works reliably. One caveat: after a reboot, you must wait until networking is completely up before attempting to reconnect using this method.

-tom

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
i totally switched everything to UNC as I kept having random issues with maps. Specifying \\\\servername\\path keeps everything simple, and bypasses any map issues.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tom,

That worked with a couple of changes to my setup. It will not work from the startup directory, seems it try,s to load before the network is ready (I'm sure that is why the reconnect check mark does not work also).

Also had to change my directory names to DOS type i.e. no spaces etc.

I'll set it in a macro that will run prior to launching my PVR.

On the other suggestions: I already had both machines set to auto boot with no passwords and the PVR will not accept UNC addresses. Thanks for the ideas though I very much appreciate your help and if anyone has a better solution I'm sure Tom and I would like to hear it.

Thanks Guy's your great...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Trevor,

Yep, you're right about the startup directory, though a way to solve that would be to download a 3rd party app. that implements a "sleep" command callable from command prompt. Then through experiment you can find the right delay before the "net use..." commands execute.

Regarding directory names, as long as the path is enclosed in quotes you should be able to use names with spaces...

-tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.