AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have been the happiest of punters with my 818 and Dali 7.1 set up. I enjoy films and music in all formats.

this is where I have just started with an issue. normally Flac files show in display as Flac 24/192 etc etc but for no reason at all ( honest ) these now display as PCM 24/192 etc.. not that I have noticed and difference in sound at all, I cannot for the love of it find why this is showing as pcm. I have checked ALL settings twice and cant find why the change has happened. I have updated to the latest updated firmware and have as a last resort done a factory reset... these flac files still show as PCM ?

are the flac files being converted some how ?

please help as my hair is hurting from me pulling it out

simon

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It could be that the server you're streaming from is automatically transcoding the FLACs to WAVs (PCM). Since FLAC is a lossless format your and server and receiver would decode the FLACs the same way, producing the exact same PCM values that the FLAC file was originally encoded from. So it wouldn't result in any lose of audio quality, just your server doing the work rather than your receiver.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge  /t/1523746/network-flacs-showing-as-pcm#post_24516707

It could be that the server you're streaming from is automatically transcoding the FLACs to WAVs (PCM). Since FLAC is a lossless format your and server and receiver would decode the FLACs the same way, producing the exact same PCM values that the FLAC file was originally encoded from. So it wouldn't result in any lose of audio quality, just your server doing the work rather than your receiver.

Ross you were spot on. turns out that the sinology nas server had decided it was best to fiddle with formats, after your comment that it would be doing the work ... I noticed it was taking longer for songs to start etc..as if they were having to be processed elsewhere... simple un check of a tick box and hey presto the norm is restored.

I hate change.. thanks again :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts