AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I posted the following questions in the dedicated theater section along with some pics/info on my project. I got several responses about the look of the rack but I need some insights on these questions. I was hoping someone could give me a hand. Here goes...

1. Wiring on the rack: I have power going up center channel of the right post of the rack for everything. I have networking, HDMI that goes to main TV, Dishnetwork Cat 6 and IR blaster signals going up the center of the left post of the rack. Where would you suggest I run the speaker wires for the home theater? Left, Right post in the channel? Left/Right post down a race way at the back of the post? Dressed down the middle of the back of shelves on the rack?

2. I assume I am going to possibly need some active cooling even though I have carefully chosen green/low power/heat components everywhere I can. I was thinking about a low noise "bathroom" type fan or something tied into a thermostat and have it exhaust into the HVAC return air system. How does this look? Any other ideas/thoughts on the this?

Here is the link to the whole thread in case you want the details or to look at the pictures:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ack-closet-build-home-theater-networking.html

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
1. Not with the 110/240v. With the IR or wherever else looks pretty for you.

2. Maybe. Depends on the room. If you can run to HVAC why not run HVAC in the space.

·
Registered
383 Posts
2. Maybe. Depends on the room. If you can run to HVAC why not run HVAC in the space.
In most areas HVAC isn't the best answer, as it means you will be heating that closet for part of the year.

Bathroom fans are also not a great idea, as they typically aren't designed for near constant use.

If you are using a cabinet style rack, you can very easily get away with a passively cooled rack. With an open rack the room will matter more. Middle Atlantic makes a system called "Duct Cool" that can easily be used to vent your closet into a nearby HVAC return, which should be very effective, if not exactly cheap.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Good point. Though a passive louvre vent high (above the closet door) should also keep the heat down releasing trapped high heat to another room.

The fan and HVAC sounds a design problem. You are pushing are into a pressurized pipe unless this is return. But that is usually passive.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I think he is referring to tying the exhaust from a bath fan in the equipment closet into the return trunk of the HVAC system.

Not a bad solution energy-wise, but it may result in the warm air being blown out a nearby return when the HVAC system is off. It would depend on how the system is piped.

On the plus side, every time the HVAC system is on it would draw air through the bath fan even if the bath fan is off.

I put a regular 8x8 filter grill in my closet and tied it into the HVAC return. Then I have a pair of 12v fans on a temperature relay that exhaust from the closet through the wall into an adjacent (large) closet.

Tim

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU ALL!! I am finally getting some info on these two questions and I really appreciate it!

Since I only got one response to the first question then I am going to run my speaker cables on the "network" side of the rack but not in the channel with the ethernet cables but along the back of the post on the outside of the metal channel.

For the cooling, I will look at any option (the bathroom fan was an idea that fit the idea of the purpose) I am still thinking of apply "some type" of fan in the ceiling to pull the hot air out from the top. I do not want to just "dump" this in the attic though because that is wasteful of air conditioned air (I live in Florida) so I thought it would be best to plumb this into return air side of the heat pump system (The side that sucks air into the system, NOT the side that blows heated/cooled air into a room)

What would you guys do? BTW, the closet the rack goes into barely fits the rack. It is a tight space and the door is solid if that helps anyone.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
LOTS of info here on AVS about cooling a closet, much of it in the Dedicated Home Theater subforum.

Make sure you have an air inlet, usually down low. Outlet vent should be high.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've never used a 2 post rack before, so I am not sure what is available for wire management.

Most av companies use a traditional (4 post?) av rack.

like:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts