AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Windows media center 7, with the following plugins: XBMC, Mediabrowser, and PowerDVD 10. I stream everything from a NAS, so I don't want to store anything on my local drive (ie movies, pics, music). I am able to browse for the NAS in XBMC in Music and Pictures, but not Video. (windows network-smb). How do I stream video on 7MC or XBMC? PowerDVD 10 does see the NAS in Video, but the other two programs cannot see the NAS in video. I hope this is making sense. If I am in XBMC and browse for video, the NAS does not show up. If I am in XBMC and browse for music or pictures, the NAS does showup, and I am able to successfully play that media. If I am in 7MC, I cannot find the NAS in any of them (video, pics, music). How do I stream my media from the NAS and not store these files on my local drive?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, 7MC doesn't see my NAS, it only wants to play files that are local (ie on my HTPC drive). If I go to Video and try to watch something, there is nothing there. If I try to browse for the NAS, it doesn't see it. I cannot play any videos at all.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You may find it extremely helpful (if not explicitly necessary) to perform a Map Network Drive to a local logical drive on your local computer. From then on the network drive looks and acts like a local drive to local programs/applications.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
You may find it extremely helpful (if not explicitly necessary) to perform a Map Network Drive to a local logical drive on your local computer. From then on the network drive looks and acts like a local drive to local programs/applications.

Thanks, I can do that. It just doesn't make sense to me that I can stream pics and music without mapping the drive, but with video apparently I need to. Also, the fact that I can stream video with Powerdvd without mapping the drive doesn't make sense. Either way, thanks again.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksull /forum/post/19640806

How do I do that? And if I do, will it try to transfer the media to my local drive? I have 5 TB full of stuff on the NAS and only a 60g HTPC drive.

if you open the video library in 7mc it should say you don't have anything mapped and ask you if you want to. if not, iirc you can press info and add a folder from the video library.

add the folder as:

\\\

as_name\\video_directory

it won't copy the files over.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksull /forum/post/19640806

How do I do that? And if I do, will it try to transfer the media to my local drive? I have 5 TB full of stuff on the NAS and only a 60g HTPC drive.

In 7MC, go to Tasks-Settings, and then something like "Media Libraries" or "manage libraries". I don't have it in front of me, so I'm going by memory. Locations added here will not copy any files. They're just telling Windows what locations to look in for media files.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts