Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello...

first i just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for all the fantastic info.

anyway, i'm desperate! i just got my new replayTV 5040 ( woohoo ) and really want to start enjoying this guy!

i cant seem to get the networking to run through my linksys router. i can assign an ip to the replaytv and get a ping... but it will timeout then pick back up then timeout again. it is trying to download data, it does make very slow progress. eventually the replaytv will report an error and tell me the connection failed.

however,

i can hook the replaytv directly to my cable modem and bam! it updates and works 100%.

i'm not quite sure what to do... all of my other devices on the same network all run perfectly. tivo, xbox, ps2, + computers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

i saw that someone else on the newsgroups was having close to the same problem and basically followed all of the same steps as this, but havnt been able to come up with a solution... this is the post. i thought it might give a little more background.

i also tried another router and powering everything off with no luck

thanks for any help!!!

>

> I have a new 4504 (one week old), I've been working on this since I got it

> and I can't get anywhere. ReplayTV tech support has been no help. Here's the

> situation:

>

> I've got my cable coming into the house in the living room. THe cable modem

> is connected to that (AT&T Broadband). I have a wireless linksys router with

> 4-port switch connected to the modem. I have my ReplayTV 4504 connected to a

> port on the router. I also have a WAP-11 wireless access point connected to

> the router. I then use my laptop wirelessly to connect to the

> network/internet.

>

> I've set up the RTV with a static IP (192.168.1.10). I've set the gateway to

> be the same as the router's IP. I've set the DNS to the DNS servers AT&T

> provided me with. The Subnet is 255.255.255.0.

>

> ReplayTV will not connect. It will connect to the internet if it's connected

> directly into the cable modem. I've tried:

>

> 1. assigning it a static IP

> 2. trying to use DHCP to assign IP

> 3. turning off DHCP

> 4. forwarding ports 29000-40000 assigned to 192.168.1.10

> 5. Hooked my laptop up to the router and gave it the same IP as reply

> (disconnected RTV first) and it was able to connect to the internet.

>

> I have the newest firmware in the router. I have version 4.3 of the

> software for RTV. I'm at a loss. Everything I have is Linksys (BEFW11S4,

> WAP11)... I cannot see the RTV on the network from my laptop, but I CAN ping

> the IP address I've assigned to the RTV.

>

> If anyone can help, I'd be SO grateful...

I used a static address through a router and it works fine. Given that your

unit is working with a direct connect I can come to the conclusion that it's

either

Some router problem

Some stale information in the routing tables

Try powering down everything router/replaytv/laptop/cable modem. Hook

the replaytv up to the router. Then power up cable modem/router/replaytv

in that order. Try connecting from the replaytv. If it does not work the

first time(assuming your still using static addresses), then give it a

couple of more trys before giving up.

If that still does not work try another router. Also check the replaytv forum

at:

http://www.avsforum.com

people there have more experience with different router configurations

©2002 Google

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by corro
i cant seem to get the networking to run through my linksys router.

i can hook the replaytv directly to my cable modem and bam! it updates and works 100%.
If it never works with the router, but always works without it, that sounds like a problem with the router. I know you said you tried using another one, but you didn't give any details on that one; was it the same model?

I would suggest that you make sure that your router has the latest firmware; there have been a number of reports of problems that were resolved with newer router firmware. You can download the latest LinkSys firmware here:

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp

If your ReplayTV still doesn't work when your router has the latest firmware, try upgrading your other router with the latest firmware as well. Perhaps your primary router is broken and the other one just needs to be upgraded.

Report back with your results!

Jim

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You should also check the cables and any physical connections that are different between using the cable modem and the router. I've seen lots of problems just because of one bad plug or cable.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Have you tried a different patch cable? If the patch cable is marginal you might get a some packets through but not all. Do you have a friend with another router you could try? You could also purchase a second router and see if that works. They're pretty cheap these days.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you tried placing the routers IP address in the "DMZ" for the linksys? This might eliminate the possibility that the problem is a port forwarding issue. I have a BEFW11S4 and I didn't have to do anything special to get updates. I *did* have to make a change to the port forwarding to get show-send to work. Also, when you remove the router from the system, what did you replace it with? If you remove the router and insert a hub, does the replay work? (This would rule out a bad ethernet cable issue)

I agree with the previous post (MNJim) it may very well be a bad cable someplace. Also beware of where the cable travels. If you have the cable running long distances parallel to power lines that can induce noise.

You mentioned the WAP11, is that part of the link to the Replay? If so, 802.11 is prone to interference from 2.4ghz phones and microwave ovens so, don't chat and make popcorn while you're updating! :)

PS: I know how frustrating this can be, so if you're *really* stuck, send me a private email (ilusionATmugbbsDOTcom) and I'll send you my phone number for brainstorming... Good luck! :)

Vern

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks for all the tips... here is what i have tried.

i dont think it is cables.. i unhook the replaytv and plug the network into the ps2 and get 100% ping w/ no packet loss. if i plug into the replaytv and assign an ip ( no dhcp ), i can get a ping, but it times out then picks back up, then times out etc.

i have tried both linksys befw11s4 v2 and a befsr41 with latest firmware. still no luck.

i was going to have a friend ping the replaytv from outside to see if i get packet loss

but....

my replaytv wont boot now! doh! it was stuck at a blank screen yesterday morning, i rebooted and all seemed fine. i got up this morning and it was stuck on a blank screen again, so i rebooted. things seemed fine all morning, but when i got back from the turkey dinner it was stuck in some sort of a video stutter loop, now after rebooting again it is just stuck in a loop on the please wait screen.

i think i got a replaytv with some bad mojo (sounds like the HD is dead - it has that sick clunk, clunk sound!) ... i'm going to return it on monday after work for an exchange.

boy am i glad this didnt happen in a week or two after i had cracked it open and put a 120g drive in, thus voiding the warranty.

i'll report back on monday or tuesday...

thanks for all of the help!

·
Registered
538 Posts
There have been reported problems with the Replay not booting up, um, correctly?, when the network isn't working correctly. If you pull the network link, leave it up over night, and see if its locked in the morning. Also, try the modem. I think the locks up are a result of the network issues you are having.

1) Are you sure nothing else on your network has the 192.168.1.10 address? Do you have the correct netmask set (probably 255.255.255.0). if you have a linksys, i think you can use the linksys address as the dns servers for the replaytv.. not sure..

2) Try pinging your replay when the unit is off. You should never have packet loss if you are pinging the unit from a wired connection and your replay is wired (no wireless networking between the two).

3) You don't *need* to have ports forwarded in order to use the basic features. PF is only for sharing showes. Taking the router out of the box, turning it on, connecting the ReplayTV to it should be all you need.

4) What is the link speed on the Linksys port connected to the ReplayTV? You could be having packet loss if the Replay and the Linksys aren't negotiating link speed and duplex correctly. Try hooking a hub between the Replay and the linksys... (and don't use port 4 on the linksys.. I have lots of problems with that one running 100Mb/s FDX).

I would try turning everything off, including the cable modem, and only turn on the CM, Router and the Replay.. then force a net connect.

Ghoul

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The most egregious and needless and really generally crappy bug in the ReplayTV that I am aware of is it's DHCP problem. EVEN IF YOU SET IT TO A MANUAL IP ADDRESS, it will talk to a DHCP server and negotiate some other address. If your router is running a DHCP server, then you should either make it work *that* way, _or_ turn of DHCP. You won't see the Replay reporting that it has switch to DHCP and you may even see it respond to ping at the appropriate (i.e. the static) IP, but it will drift to DHCP for its outbound communication (with SonicBlue servers).

I do not understand why it is so difficult to program a static IP address feature into a ReplayTV. It is pathetic, and it almost made me return the unit, since I can't give something with these kinds of bugs to my father for Christmas.

However, I perservered through 4 hours of hell and eventually just reorganized my network to disable DHCP. Sorry for ranting, but it is really a pathetic piece of programming. Other than that the Replay works pretty well.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
"And other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst

However, I perservered through 4 hours of hell and eventually just reorganized my network to disable DHCP. Sorry for ranting, but it is really a pathetic piece of programming. Other than that the Replay works pretty well.
For those users who have Unix machines at home, I highly recommend using ISC's dhcp server. I configured a "static" DHCP address so the replay will always get the same address.

In addition, running BIND9 for DNS and using "views" you can do some, um, rather interesting things with how the Replay sees the world. (Note: D-link routers like to re-write DNS queries..bad bad bad D-link).

I turned off DHCP on my Linksys wireless router since it had a very limited DNS server (but better than D-Link). Very soon, it will be just wireless as I transition everything over to the FreeBSD farm.

Karl the Ghoul

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
It is pathetic, and it almost made me return the unit, since I can't give something with these kinds of bugs to my father for Christmas.
Good thing you posted here, because most users have no idea :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
> i dont think it is cables.. i unhook the replaytv and plug the network into the ps2 and get 100% ping w/ no packet loss. if i plug into the replaytv and assign an ip ( no dhcp ), i can get a ping, but it times out then picks back up, then times out etc.

corro - I had what sounds like a very similar problem with a 4508 hooked into a smc router -- with and without dhcp. I could ping it just fine after rebooting it, but after some number of minutes or hours, it would start to miss one out of 4 pings, then 2 out of four, then I just couldn't ping it at all. Sometimes it would wake back up again, apparently by itself, but more often, not without a reboot and/or power cycle.

[my home network consistently runs fine, with three pc's on the lan side, all running at 100 talking to a motorola surfboard on the wan side -- it's a very solid network.]

I tried everything for around 5 days. I finally gave up, and I'm back to enjoying my 3030 -- with the 4508 back at CC. I was really looking forward to the increased record time, commercial skip and network connectivity. Now I'm just stuck back with my better picture...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.