AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have:

Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> 2 outputs

1) wired to Gigabit Switch -> 3 wired computers (each with specific IPs)

2) Wireless to 3 Laptops

I can VNC into each computer perfectly

Each are on HTPC workgroup

On my laptop (Vista) I CAN NOT access my main HTPC (XP Pro) (haven't tested others) using Network (my network places).

I CAN NOT ping COMPUTERNAME but I CAN ping IP

Once I do ping -a IP the computer shows up in My Network Places but after some time it becomes inaccessible until I re-ping.

I found a small thing about shutting off remote access in the services but that hasn't helped.

Any Thoughts?? This is bugging me

[EDIT] I must add that this is a new switch Linksys SD2008 Rev3 to replace a broken one, before this I THINK everything was working fine, but I'm doing new stuff now, so I can't be 100%[/EDIT]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have one of the drives on my HTPC mapped to M:\\ on my laptop - and

this is the error i typically get after the connection has dropped and I have to re-ping

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is showing when I ping - i can't ping by computer name - but can by IP

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info

Laptop (Vista) Setup

Laptop Network Connections

Server (Server 2003) Setup

Server Network Connections

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Two things to try first:

- Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP ("Advanced" button in your first screen shot) on all systems. Verify it's on with ipconfig /all.

- Verify that Windows firewall isn't on on either side of the connection, or if it is, make an exception for file sharing ports (TCP and UDP 135-139 and TCP and UDP 445, limit it to your subnet for security). Same for the router, if you have firewall rules (by default it should be OK if you're on the same subnet).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have not heard too many good things about that switch.

But as another option, eliminate your network by running vista directly to your HTPC with a cross over cable. make sure to set your IP's correctly.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK /forum/post/14280984

Have not heard too many good things about that switch.

But as another option, eliminate your network by running vista directly to your HTPC with a cross over cable. make sure to set your IP's correctly.

yeah - when I bought it, it was before they all started breaking, which mine recently did - was getting

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i forget if i mentioned this (to lazy to look) but if I ping the HTPC using "ping -a IP" - everything works great. Then after an unknown amount of time, when I try to go back into explorer and access the HTPC again, I get computer can't be found. Then I re-ping and it works again.

Something..somewhere is dropping my associations...don't know where to look though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've done some more troubleshooting:

I removed the switch, and just have the wireless router wired to my HTPC and wireless to my laptop.

My HTPC (XP):

My Laptop:

I still can't access the HTPC unless i go to cmd and re-ping the IP address

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is Vista turning off the device to save power...under your wireless device power management tab?

Does it happen when its hardwired?

Are your other PC's on the network doing the same thing?

Are the drivers up to date?

·
Registered
233 Posts
make sure the registry entry is: 0 and not 1

HKLM/System/Control/LSA/restrictanonomous ( both entries)

try flush your DNS, Change IRPStackSize to 18 or 21 in Registry or add it to begin with. Really starting to grab at thin air here...can't think what else

Check some windows services related to network???

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK /forum/post/14282064

Is Vista turning off the device to save power...under your wireless device power management tab?

Does it happen when its hardwired?

Are your other PC's on the network doing the same thing?

Are the drivers up to date?

it was set to power down, i changed it. We'll see.

Hardwired causes the same problems.

Haven't tested other computers yet b/c it's just these two that are needing to talk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from my server (server 2003) to my htpc - both wired through same wireless router switch, everything is working.

I'm starting to feel as if this is a Vista issue
- although I have not had it before. As I said, I've had this working perfectly, for a long time.

I also can not enter "\\\\Server" into explorer until I ping it first...so it's not exclusive to one "receiving" system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts