AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quickie question here. Asked before - I'm sure. What do I do about those logos on a new plasma display. I feel as if I have to shift channels back and forth to refresh the picture so as not to get burn in or IR. Not very relaxing to say the least. Some quick reassurance or tips would really help? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Most plasmas have a zoom function that allows you to crop the screen to remove the station logo. This is what I did to break in my plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 /forum/post/15458175


Quickie question here. Asked before - I'm sure. What do I do about those logos on a new plasma display. I feel as if I have to shift channels back and forth to refresh the picture so as not to get burn in or IR. Not very relaxing to say the least. Some quick reassurance or tips would really help? Thanks.

Don't worry about it. I have one of those so-called horrible Samsungs that never had an IR issue with those logos in nearly 2 years of use. I use the anti IR feature in the set, pixel shift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/15458228


Don't worry about it. I have one of those so-called horrible Samsungs that never had an IR issue with those logos in nearly 2 years of use. I use the anti IR feature in the set, pixel shift.

you are one of the lucky few...i have last years sammy and while the picture is very good, it gets IR rather easily. pixel shift is also enabled at the most aggressive setting. now, all the IR goes away fairly quickly and its nothing that I worry about but its there. for clarification purposes, the IR is only visible on a black or white screen, it is not visible if you change the station during normal tv viewing.


my best examples of when this occurs are the news channel tickers (cnn, fox, etc.) and espn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Nothing to worry about, especially if it's those weird semi-transparent logos that a lot of stations use.


I've never had IR on my Panny 42PX80U, have had it for 3 months now. Not even on the Fox logo (solid, not transparent) when watching hour-long programs, plus on most channels you've got commercial breaks which remove the logo for a minute or two.


My friend has an older (2006) Samsung. When they got the set, they set it to torch mode and started watching with no break-in. They have had absolutely zero IR problems, and that's on a 3 year old Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 /forum/post/15458816


you are one of the lucky few...i have last years sammy and while the picture is very good, it gets IR rather easily. pixel shift is also enabled at the most aggressive setting. now, all the IR goes away fairly quickly and its nothing that I worry about but its there. for clarification purposes, the IR is only visible on a black or white screen, it is not visible if you change the station during normal tv viewing.


my best examples of when this occurs are the news channel tickers (cnn, fox, etc.) and espn.

What you have speaks for your set. You don't speak for a majority of Sammy owners. Don't hate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Well I see lots of Sansung Plasma Owners complaining about IR. If anything it's the Majority of people out there having a problem and only a few that don't. That's how I see it. Which is why I almost right away rules a Samsung off my list of HDTV"s to buy.


I don't worry about IR on my Panasonic. Hell I've left a Static Image on the screen for Hours and yet no IR at all. Quite a few times in fact. Channels Logo's is nothing to worry about, besides when the Commercials come on they go away. I really didn't do anything special to break in my plasma either. Mostly full screen stuff. I've read so many new messages here and they are complaining about IR, and I think that it must be another Samsung, and Sure enough as I continue reading the message it is, Well golly, another Samsung and IR problems. One after another. If you got a Samsung and your happy with it, great. I'd never buy one. At least so far. Maybe the next new Models will be better.

For me, for Plasma's, it's Pioneer or Panasonic. That's it. I know in my Family alone we all have 50" Panasonic Plasma's. In fact my brother and I end up getting the same one and my Dad ended up getting the Costco version. I didn't say a thing about HDTV's to ether of them. I don't HATE Samsungs, I'd just never own one. To me Bad Reputation for getting IR and easily, and well I game on mine. No thanks, I don't want to risk it and I should'nt have to put up with it. Who cares if it goes away fast, it's better if it wasn't there to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,447 Posts
What you read is a lot of people like you who get on the Sammy and non Sammy threads spread misinformation.

I see a lot of complaints about Pannys as non-operational, flashing blue lights, bad pwer supply boards, etc. The Pioneers have lengthy threads with buzzing and blotching. Would it be fair to assume these complaints represent the vast majority of Panasonic and Pioneer units respectively?

In fact speaking of Panny, many of the threads about them here are about some fault or defect. Using your logic one should run from the Panny brand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Sammy 50a400 bought it right before black Friday have never had ANY issue with burn in. Hell i never even went through the burn in set up stuff. Right out of the box it was playing Need For Speed thanks to my 10y old. Again IR is a non issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/15460785


What you have speaks for your set. You don't speak for a majority of Sammy owners. Don't hate!

my post isn't even close to hating. I didn't put down samsung, I just spoke of my experience with the set and what was read from a bunch of the posts from the XX54 thread.



your examples of pioneer and panasonic are valid only to the extent that when people are looking into a large tv purchase, they should be aware of existing issues.


summed up:

- if looking at pioneer, there is a possibility your set may buzz. I have a pioneer 60" and the only buzz I hear is when the tv is on with no input and no volume and I'm standing 2 feet from the tv. From reports, some may have it worse but it doesn't seem like an issue when watching tv or a movie at "normal" volumes (which is a subjective standard).


- if looking at panasonic, you may have a power supply issue but it is not a wide spread issue per consumer reports and posts on this forum. I have a pioneer 46" and haven't had 1 issue so far (knock on wood).


- if looking at samsung, my experience tells me to be weary of IR. I have a samsung 42" and it has IR. As stated, it is not noticable when switching channels but only on a black or white screen. It does go away rather quickly.


Its all about making an informed decision and how you value or discount the "flaws."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyhash /forum/post/15463686


Sammy 50a400 bought it right before black Friday have never had ANY issue with burn in. Hell i never even went through the burn in set up stuff. Right out of the box it was playing Need For Speed thanks to my 10y old. Again IR is a non issue.

burn-in and IR are 2 seperate issues...they are not interchangeable terms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Because of a few issues in which several members come and post their problems does not mean it gives them the right to post comments like 'stay away from Samsung, get an X brand instead' which I have read numerous times from many AVS members.


I can write up a list of issues with every plasma brand and then tell everyone don't buy this one because of X issue(s), don't get that one because of X issue(s) and so on...


For example, I find it rediculous when someone gives advice to another member to stay away from X brand because of IR. It is clear that IR is a non issue (meaning if it's there it will not affect TV viewing quality) and is affecting every plasma brand out there today. Some more than others and as a few others have claimed not at all. I would never tell someone not to purchase a plasma because of IR.


A purchase is based on several factors. First and most important; being price. Not eveyone has 3K+ to spend on a plasma. Your average TV viewer will likely spend far less than that. If the set he/she is interested in has a little more reported IR than the slightly more expensive one (or as some AVS members will put it, the better brand), who cares!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN /forum/post/15464062


Because of a few issues in which several members come and post their problems does not mean it gives them the right to post comments like 'stay away from Samsung, get an X brand instead' which I have read numerous times from many AVS members.


I can write up a list of issues with every plasma brand and then tell everyone don't buy this one because of X issue(s), don't get that one because of X issue(s) and so on...


For example, I find it rediculous when someone gives advice to another member to stay away from X brand because of IR. It is clear that IR is a non issue (meaning if it's there it will not affect TV viewing quality) and is affecting every plasma brand out there today. Some more than others and as a few others have claimed not at all. I would never tell someone not to purchase a plasma because of IR.

I never said "don't buy X tv because of IR." I am stating my experience.


However, and specifically to your point, there are a lot of threads that ask "which tv would you choose" or "what should I get". Most people will answer those questions by putting themselves in the situation and giving an answer based on what they know (or perceive to know). It isn't the most helpful answer because no one really knows what the poster who posed the question truely values, and how they rank their values, when it comes down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN /forum/post/15464062


A purchase is based on several factors. First and most important; being price. Not eveyone has 3K+ to spend on a plasma. Your average TV viewer will likely spend far less than that. If the set he/she is interested in has a little more reported IR than the slightly more expensive one (or as some AVS members will put it, the better brand), who cares!!!

This again goes to how a person values certain flaws. For some, it may not be an issue. For others, it may be a deciding factor. From your post, I gather it doesn't make a difference to you. However, for me, I may reconsider my choice as to whether to purchase that set.


I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your post, but more expanding on how I think people should make their tv buying decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 /forum/post/15463801


my post isn't even close to hating. I didn't put down samsung, I just spoke of my experience with the set and what was read from a bunch of the posts from the XX54 thread.

I was one of those complaining about IR in the xx54 thread, though looking back at my posts, I really downplayed the problem quite a bit. (it was easily visible over normal content) I really wanted to love the Samsung and was trying to ignore the mountain of problems that it had and kept praising it on here, after three weeks, I couldn't ignore it anymore and returned it. I listened to all the Samsung fans saying that it wasn't an issue, and it was a problem, a very big problem. A good bit of the problems that I had with it are still issues today (like the full screen static dither pattern that Samsung uses)


I was almost scared away from plasma completely thanks to Samsung, but I gave plasma one more chance and got a equivalent Panasonic and it had none of the issues that the Samsung had and has been the most problem free TV I have owned so far.


Has Samsung improved on their IR problems? Probably, but after being burned (literally) by Samsung, I doubt I will get another one of their plasma sets again. (If I need an LCD though, they are one of the first companies I would check out)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't h8 /forum/post/15464305


I never said "don't buy X tv because of IR." I am stating my experience.


However, and specifically to your point, there are a lot of threads that ask "which tv would you choose" or "what should I get". Most people will answer those questions by putting themselves in the situation and giving an answer based on what they know (or perceive to know). It isn't the most helpful answer because no one really knows what the poster who posed the question truely values, and how they rank their values, when it comes down to it.




This again goes to how a person values certain flaws. For some, it may not be an issue. For others, it may be a deciding factor. From your post, I gather it doesn't make a difference to you. However, for me, I may reconsider my choice as to whether to purchase that set.


I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your post, but more expanding on how I think people should make their tv buying decisions.

I never claimed you said, don't buy X brand, I am saying what others have quoted saying which has been mentioned many times.


And I agree with your other comment that the person that replies does not know what the OP values.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/15464388


I was one of those complaining about IR in the xx54 thread, though looking back at my posts, I really downplayed the problem quite a bit. (it was easily visible over normal content) I really wanted to love the Samsung and was trying to ignore the mountain of problems that it had and kept praising it on here, after three weeks, I couldn't ignore it anymore and returned it. I listened to all the Samsung fans saying that it wasn't an issue, and it was a problem, a very big problem. A good bit of the problems that I had with it are still issues today (like the full screen static dither pattern that Samsung uses)


I was almost scared away from plasma completely thanks to Samsung, but I gave plasma one more chance and got a equivalent Panasonic and it had none of the issues that the Samsung had and has been the most problem free TV I have owned so far.


Has Samsung improved on their IR problems? Probably, but after being burned (literally) by Samsung, I doubt I will get another one of their plasma sets again. (If I need an LCD though, they are one of the first companies I would check out)


it's unfortunate you've had a bad experience but good to know that your happy with the end result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
If i was you i would be careful on break in. I was for about a month or two. I had no problems at all. Then last week and this is after a year or two of my plasma i just noticed MSNBC on the right and a small peacock logo. Msnbc news.


I thought when did i get that? Then i thought, i watched like three shows or four of lock up and it was very few commercials or news breaks. This was in pure full and it is on sd tv. I also fell asleep and woke up a few hours later. So i thought this just happened.


I am not sure what i did was right or wrong but worked for me as i read about JScreenFix. It runs like 20 mins at a time and after about 5 runs, i no longer see msnbc and the logo. I figure they have improved burn in since my Pioneer FHD1 but it taught me that burn in or retention is real. This is way after a break in.


In defense of plasma let me also say this, i have watched cnn news, fox news, msnbc news, espn, discovery, history ch and other's for long periods of times and never see anything. I use to try to flip when a commercial was on some to give it a break for a min but i don't near as much as i use to. I left mine on msnbc for hours without moving not long ago when i noticed this the next day. I do not run mine in vivid torch mode either. Like some have said, try wide, zoom, differ modes like this and it is not a bad idea to flip ch's sometimes on commercials and come back.


I just turned on the plasma using it as a monitor and looking at it as i type this in pure white you can barely see something where the S was on msnbc. So if i was you, i would be careful but i wouldn't let it stop me from buying plasma either. I love mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 /forum/post/15458175


Quickie question here. Asked before - I'm sure. What do I do about those logos on a new plasma display. I feel as if I have to shift channels back and forth to refresh the picture so as not to get burn in or IR. Not very relaxing to say the least. Some quick reassurance or tips would really help? Thanks.

After reading through the bickering about Sammy plasmas I started thinking you were in fact seeing image retention. But now I'm wondering whether you actually do have IR or are just worried about it. If you're just worried about it then stop. The logos go away quickly because of ads and things like that so don't bother switching channels. If you DO have to switch channels regularly to avoid IR then I'd return the tv. You should not have to do that.


Also, IMO, if the IR is only seen on a blank screen and never when other material is being displayed then its really a non-issue.


Lets face it. The burn-in (not IR) issue is what scares people away from plasma (it did me for a while) and I'm not sure if plasma will ever recover from that stigma. Its a shame because its really a better picture for a better price than lcd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I don't presently have an issue with IR, just wanting to do some primary prevention if I needed to. Looks like it's okay though. Thanks again!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/15464388


I was one of those complaining about IR in the xx54 thread, though looking back at my posts, I really downplayed the problem quite a bit. (it was easily visible over normal content) I really wanted to love the Samsung and was trying to ignore the mountain of problems that it had and kept praising it on here, after three weeks, I couldn't ignore it anymore and returned it. I listened to all the Samsung fans saying that it wasn't an issue, and it was a problem, a very big problem. A good bit of the problems that I had with it are still issues today (like the full screen static dither pattern that Samsung uses)


I was almost scared away from plasma completely thanks to Samsung, but I gave plasma one more chance and got a equivalent Panasonic and it had none of the issues that the Samsung had and has been the most problem free TV I have owned so far.


Has Samsung improved on their IR problems? Probably, but after being burned (literally) by Samsung, I doubt I will get another one of their plasma sets again. (If I need an LCD though, they are one of the first companies I would check out)

I had the same problems with a Samsung 5054 at the same time you did. It had terrible IR and terrible dithering. I can't speak for all of them, but the model I had was not something I could tolerate. At the time I wasn't sure if the dithering was actually a combo of 720p and my viewing distance, but I now know for sure it was their dithering.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top