AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that if you compare the TX-NR906 versus the Yamaha V3900 and the Denon 3808CI and 4308CI the following is rarely talked about but seemingly important:

The Onkyo is the only device that allows you to select HDMI up-scaling on an input by input basis. From reading the manuals, it seems that Denon and Yamaha only allow you set the scaling function on or off on a global basis. Also turning scaling on these units defeats the deep color video signals.

It seems like the Denon 5308CI may allow this on an input by input basis but it is hard to tell from the manual.

This seems like an important feature if you have a high end bluray player and want its video passed through untouched, but want your cable box, vcr, etc. up-converted. How is this handled by Denon and Yamaha owners?

The major downsides I see to the Onkyo is an almost useless web interface. Can anyone summarize if you can do anything other than assign the vtuner urls? Any screenshots?

Also Onkyo is the only one that does not support Rhapsody. Does anyone know if this will be added in the future? Would you let it effect your buying decision?

Also it appears that Onkyo rarely, if ever, releases firmware upgrades. So are the chances for new features and a more complete web interface hopeless? Seem like Denon and Yamaha have a more evolving approach to their products.

Thanks in advance for all input anyone can provide!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberens /forum/post/15581594

It seems to me that if you compare the TX-NR906 versus the Yamaha V3900 and the Denon 3808CI and 4308CI the following is rarely talked about but seemingly important:

The Onkyo is the only device that allows you to select HDMI up-scaling on an input by input basis. From reading the manuals, it seems that Denon and Yamaha only allow you set the scaling function on or off on a global basis. Also turning scaling on these units defeats the deep color video signals.

It seems like the Denon 5308CI may allow this on an input by input basis but it is hard to tell from the manual.

This seems like an important feature if you have a high end bluray player and want its video passed through untouched, but want your cable box, vcr, etc. up-converted. How is this handled by Denon and Yamaha owners?

The major downsides I see to the Onkyo is an almost useless web interface. Can anyone summarize if you can do anything other than assign the vtuner urls? Any screenshots?

Also Onkyo is the only one that does not support Rhapsody. Does anyone know if this will be added in the future? Would you let it effect your buying decision?

Also it appears that Onkyo rarely, if ever, releases firmware upgrades. So are the chances for new features and a more complete web interface hopeless? Seem like Denon and Yamaha have a more evolving approach to their products.

Thanks in advance for all input anyone can provide!

Some key points realized. Definitely seems more research is needed

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes the network is important, im looking for network reciever with thx and upscaling to 1080p.I've come down to two choices Pioneer SC-07 vs the Onkyo TX-NR906. Now that I understand that it does not work with Rhapsody I may wait till spring for new models. Why don't these companies listen to the consumers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts