AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain why some network HD shows look so dark and soft compared to other HD programming. I am mostly seeing this on NBC. Yet Leno seems well lit and vibrant? Why the difference?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by imdoug
Film vs. HDcams?
I don't have the same problem when I watch an HBO-HD film transfer (usually very crisp). So I assume it must be something more (lighting, type of film, type of transfer, etc.).

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
I've brought this up a few times- I guess it comes down to more of the director's preference and style than anything.

Take a look at the shows on ABC- NYPD Blue is sharp, bright and colorfull, while most of their sitcoms are soft, dark and muted.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've noticed I have to turn up my white level four or five notches (a lot) from "Avia disc setting" when watching ABC HD (dramas and comedies alike). If I don't, everyone's dark hair looks like one single mass as all detail is lost in dark areas.

I can't comment on CBS or NBC because my locals aren't sending HD out. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree, I find *most* HD programming very dark... Using a Samsung ts-160 connected to Tosh 50H82, and I've currently got my contrast jacked up 7 notches above avia calibrated DVD settings, brightness above optimal setting (i.e. the blacks are so crushed that I'm settling for a dark grey trying to pull the details out in dark scenes), but I still can't get the screen to "pop" like I'd expect on indoor scenes. Most nature shows et al on PBS or HDnet look fine, but network programming is dissapointing thus far.

It would be great if the PBS stations (or HDnet) would go "back to the future" and broadcast Avia-like test patterns when they're off the air (or latenight in HDnet's case).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.