AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of network do you have at your house?

I have a combination of wired and wireless. ReplayTV's are wired to 4-port Wireless Linksys 54g router. I stream video to my wireless laptop via DVArchive.

NOTE: Where it says this twice -

I have a combination 802.11B can CAT5 wired (through walls/attic)

the second one should be 802.11G

Hopefully a moderator will change this....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I actually have a combination of three types used in my ReplayTV Network.

CAT5 wired to a 5060

802.11B using WET11 to a 5040

Siemens Speedstream Powerline network to a 5040

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a combination of Cat5, 802.11b and 802.11g.

My (5) ReplayTVs (and a few other devices in my Living room) are wired to a Netgear 8 port switch....which is then connected to a Belkin F5D7130 802.11g AP bridged to another Belkin F5D7130 802.11g AP at the other end of my apartment. Where I have 3 computers, Vonage ATA and a Netgear 802.11b AP....a combination of a Linksys BEFSX41 router and a 5 port switch.

My (2) laptops are connected via the 802.11b wireless network.

One of the other devices in the Living Room is a Belkin F8T030 Bluetooth AP. Though I hardly use my Tungsten T through it anymore.

I don't stream from my laptop over wireless (though I did once wire it into the Living Room switch and stream HQ to a RTV.) I usually stream with one of my desktop computers....

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I have a wired CAT5, and 802.11b to my laptop. The wiring doesn't go through attic or walls. It goes around the baseboard. I got white CAT5 cable so it matches the wall and the eye easily ignores it.

router is behind the couch still

how do I vote?

cow

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
icecow - I would consider the baseboard a part of the wall ;) point is it isn't laying out in the middle of the floor...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have Wireless 802.11b for my computers and wired Cat 5 for my 3 Replays. I'm also a running the wires along the baseboard guy... too lazy to drill holes :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, I have two RTVs hardwired to a wireless router that communicate(d) with my DVA PC (when it was running) via Wireless G. The girlfriend has a laptop with 802.11g, but she doesn't have DVA on it, yet ;)

Since I don't really count the two units and router as being a "wired network" since they are all in the same place, I voted for Wireless G Network. The plan is to move one of the RTV units into the bedroom and connect it wirelessly with a game adapter or bridge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
5504 on Cat 5 to a cascaded hub (ReplayTV hates long cable runs).

DV Archive machine on the local net. Cat 5 to wireless hub 1 - 802.11b

(ADSL). Working with my laptop on a sub net which is not yet on an 802.11g hub.

I guess I can't count the copper fiber channel or the old optical yet since I have them only in one machine...

Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cat-6 option isn't there. I am doing construction on my house and got 1000 feet of cat-6, I never considered cat-5 because the labor is the same and I wanted the latest wire. I know it is an overkill but the extra expense was worth it to me so I won't be outdated in the future. Even if I won't be outdated if I used cat-5, I will chalk it up to a little gamble, no harm done.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I'm there with the others running along the baseboards. I also have 802.11b but don't use it for replayTV. Replays are all wired, I feel the need for speed!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Total of 4 desktops, 5 laptops and a Motion TabletPC in my house. They connect to my network thur both CAT5 wiring and 802.11G. Three Replays (5160, 5080 & 5040) all use the wired network and my Tivo SD-H400 has a wireless connection to the LAN. One 8 port switch, one 5 port switch, one 4 port HUB and one 802.11G WAP all connected to a server with Internet access to DirecWay (Two Way Satellite Access). With all that I still am missing something...................

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, you missed out some options here, so I can't vote as my config doesn't appear.

I have a mix of 802.11b, wired CAT5, and phoneline (HPNA), and a strange collection it is.

My internet connection come in over a micro-cellular link as 802.11b. With a recent ethernet bridge and router upgrade I'm getting a peak of 1.9Mbps - up AND down. Not bad, and amazing for only $30/month.

From there its bridged to HPNA using a software router in my desktop to 3 laptops and the RTV (via a Netgear ehternet-HPNA bridge). The HPNA stuff is almost as fast as the 802.11b bit. Having been able to pick up HPNA adapters off eBay for next to nothing, I've now got them all over the house, so I can play any where in the house I want to. Why are you still using phoneline networking, I hear you all ask? Because we mainly use laptops, and I have a wife who is very prone to breaking computer bits, and would go through wireless PCCARD n/w adapters ina heartbeat.

I use the CAT5 only if I really need to copy something from one PC to another FAST, which is not very often.

And then again, I was reading a thread from someone else today who uses powerline adapters, so maybe I'm not the only one.

Tim W.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine includes 2 Replays, a Mac G4 and a PC hardwired to a buffalo G router, a couple more Replays each with it's own Buffalo G router acting as a bridge, and 2 more Macs connecting wirelesssly through B cards. No visible cable runs (unless you count the mess beneath my desk)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My philosophy is that if a device isn't going to move, hard wire it if possible. I use a Cat 5 cable through the walls.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a Cat5 wired network for my main PC & my HP Digital Media Reader, with a wireless G router connecting B+ for my laptop, B for my MP3 server and G for my 5040. If my Showstopper had an ethernet port it would be hard wired.....but it doesn't........

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
icecow - I would consider the baseboard a part of the wall point is it isn't laying out in the middle of the floor...
I have the same set-up as icecow only my cat5 is laying out in the middle of the floor...how do I vote? ;)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MightyMoose
Cat-6 option isn't there. I am doing construction on my house and got 1000 feet of cat-6, I never considered cat-5 because the labor is the same and I wanted the latest wire. I know it is an overkill but the extra expense was worth it to me so I won't be outdated in the future. Even if I won't be outdated if I used cat-5, I will chalk it up to a little gamble, no harm done.
Kind of a moot point. For the purposes of the survey (and for the purposes of 10/100 Ethernet) I think it's safe to say that CAT6=CAT5.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.