AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to set up a network drive where I can store some dvd copies for access and playback with my Shield TV using Kodi as the controlling device. The problem is that when I look at network drives that are external they all use USB as a connection to the LAN. I’m assuming, I don’t really know, that the USB transfers data and is the power source.

But where does the USB connect? I don’t have a pc that can be connected so I need this to be standalone. What do I do?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some network routers have a usb port that could be used for that. See if your router has one.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some network routers have a usb port that could be used for that. See if your router has one.

I found an Asus R6600U in my closet that has two USB ports. If I connect it to an Ethernet distribution box and plug a disk drive into the USB port will that work without any router coding or do I have to do some of that. My current router system is the Google Wi-Fi bridge setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am not that familiar. Look up your manual for that router. It should tell you what the capabilities are of those ports.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you only want to playback your media on just one Shield, why don't you just use an External Hard Drive with a USB connection directly to the Shield? So it is not 'network' storage, but local 'attached' storage to the Shield.

First, connect the External Hard Drive to your PC and transfer your files to the HD.

Unconnect from your PC and connect to your Shield. Rinse and repeat when you want to add media.

Then point Kodi at your attached storage.

Something like this.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you only want to playback your media on just one Shield, why don't you just use an External Hard Drive with a USB connection directly to the Shield? So it is not 'network' storage, but local 'attached' storage to the Shield.

First, connect the External Hard Drive to your PC and transfer your files to the HD.

Unconnect from your PC and connect to your Shield. Rinse and repeat when you want to add media.

Then point Kodi at your attached storage.

Something like this.
I would rather do that but I have the tube version and it doesn't have a USB port.

·
Registered
37 Posts
By the way, if you do use the router with a usb port, make sure you set it up as an access point.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, if you do use the router with a usb port, make sure you set it up as an access point.

I reset the router to access point and it went away on me. I saw a quick message that the IP address was not longer 192.168.1.1 but it didn't tell me the new one. When I did an ipconfig I got an error message that said something about media breakage. At the same time the PC with the router program in it still can talk to my ethernet LAN so I'm going to mount the new HDD coming tomorrow and see what happens. I think, actually I know, I'm in way over my head. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need to give the access point an ip address that works in your current network.

Example: if your current network starts with 192.168.1.1, you need to assign the access point as 192.168.1.2 and make sure that address is not using that same address

Once you do that, then you can directly connect to that router by entering the address (192.168.1.2)

Look up the manual for the Asus router to see how to do that. You will need to connect directly to the Asus router to assign the new address.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to give the access point an ip address that works in your current network.

Example: if your current network starts with 192.168.1.1, you need to assign the access point as 192.168.1.2 and make sure that address is not using that same address

Once you do that, then you can directly connect to that router by entering the address (192.168.1.2)

Look up the manual for the Asus router to see how to do that. You will need to connect directly to the Asus router to assign the new address.

Right now I'm connected to the router via an ethernet cable and am able to access the web, ala this conversation. To test the possibility of seeing the HDD on the router usb port tomorrow can I put a usb flash drive I have that has some songs on it and see if I can find it? If so, how do I find it? Windows Explorer? Windows Media Player? I think I have a copy of VLC on this pc. Does the flash drive have to have some type of address in order for any of those programs find it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am not familiar with how to access the usb ports.

Look for those instructions in the manual for the router. If you don't have it, I am sure you can go to the Asus website and find it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me know how it works. Kind of curious myself.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just able to play a song off of the flash drive. I got there via Windows Explorer and the Network choice. This showed everything in the house that's on the LAN and addressable. The Asus router showed up with a small movie reel and music note icon on it. Clicked on that and WMP came up with a list of all the songs on the usb drive. Picked one and it played on the pc. Next step is to find it with Kodi and see if that will work. Luckily, somewhere the router showed up and I was able to bring up the router management program with the new address it was assigned when I switched it to an access point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like you are on your way to a networked movie and music server!

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sounds like you are on your way to a networked movie and music server!

Turns out that it looks like Kodi is overkill. In reading a Kodi for Beginners tutorial I found that Kodi is mostly for watching a lot of Internet free stuff. The author kept trying to sell ExpressVPN for shielding yourself from the government watching you stream stuff that probably was licensed. He did mention that a simple media player would work for local LAN stuff. So I downloaded VLC, a program I have used before on the pc. It worked like a charm. I'm listening to Streisand off the flash drive right now.

Have you done ripping of your own disks before? I've been promoted to use MakeMKV, I think that's the name, to rip. The biggest issue though is you get .mkv files and apparently no titles. Since I haven't done it yet I don't know how it will work. Is there any other ripper that preserves the titles and artwork that you know of?

Edit: Nevermind on the ripper recommendations. I found a website article that does a good job of reviewing a handful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what your goal is.

Isn't kodi easily set up for the shield? I thought that was what you are looking for.

My setup is different. I rip disks using Anydvd to the hard drive. It basically saves a whole movie disk to the hard drive. You can then use kodi, vlc or many other players to watch a whole movie. However, most players cannot play the extra stuff on a movie disk.

I generally don't listen music on the computer, just watch movies. I don't use kodi, however it is one of the most "polished" programs out there for what I think you are looking to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure what your goal is.

Isn't kodi easily set up for the shield? I thought that was what you are looking for.

My setup is different. I rip disks using Anydvd to the hard drive. It basically saves a whole movie disk to the hard drive. You can then use kodi, vlc or many other players to watch a whole movie. However, most players cannot play the extra stuff on a movie disk.

I generally don't listen music on the computer, just watch movies. I don't use kodi, however it is one of the most "polished" programs out there for what I think you are looking to accomplish.

I downloaded Anydvd and installed it How does it work? This is not obvious to a nimwit like me. It says it can rip a dvd from my reader D: to my HDD E:. What do I do to do that? Use the Copy/Paste function of Windows Explorer?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once you have the disk in the drive, look in your system tray (lower right hand corner) and left click on Anydvd. You will see a menu. Click on either make an image or rip video to hard drive. A Blu Ray takes about an hour to back up to the hard drive and a dvd takes about 15 minutes.

Once done, you can point kodi to the folder or file and it should play the disk.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once you have the disk in the drive, look in your system tray (lower right hand corner) and left click on Anydvd. You will see a menu. Click on either make an image or rip video to hard drive. A Blu Ray takes about an hour to back up to the hard drive and a dvd takes about 15 minutes.

Once done, you can point kodi to the folder or file and it should play the disk.

Being the impatient type I did a Copy/Paste as soon as I typed my previous question. I’m about to go out to the copying pc to see if it worked. If not I will create a system tray entry as the install didn’t automatically do it. I read some documentation and it mentions that it is for a Windows pc. My actual use is to move the HDD to my Asus router access point, which is working, and play the video using VLC on the Shield TV. Do you think that will work?

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well my Copy/Paste seemed to work. But the system tray technique did not. A left click gave me the normal tree window. I did drag the tray .exe and not the desktop .exe. I'll try dragging the other one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts