AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty basic (=stupid) question. I have Comcast internet. The service comes into a cable modem, and then into a wireless router. I just got a LCD and a blu-ray. I am running an ethernet cable from my router in the basement, and would like to plug both in, rather than switch the cable back and forth to use internet content. What is the best way to do that? Can I buy this, plug in the ethernet cable from the main router, and two extensions into the Blu-ray and LCD? Do I need another router? Or a hub? HELP!

Network Switch

·
Registered
364 Posts
That switch will do exactly what you are hoping and is all you need. You do not need another router. The switch will manage the traffic from both devices.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
+1. Yep, that's the one to get, can't beat that price. For our purposes, a "switch" is an Ethernet equivalent of a splitter. A "hub" is a simpler device that really doesn't apply any more, as they've been replaced by switches, and don't work at 100Mb/1Gb speeds anyway. (ok, there were 100Mb hubs, but you'd have to really try hard to find one now, and they'd be more expensive than a switch, which is silly...)

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts