AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large number of mp3's on my HTPC and currently to play them I have to turn on my projector to see and pick them from a list. What i'd like to do is be able to play them on my HTPC, but do it from my laptop when it's networked, or from a home office computer also on same network.

Is their a way in Windows to do this, or a simple program to allow one computer to control a program on another?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I use Microsoft Netmeeting, and I control the HTPC from my laptop all day long...never getting up to touch anything.

When the phone rings, it's just a click to stop the music instead of getting up to turn down the tunes to answer the phone.

·
Registered
918 Posts
VNC is pretty slick. It allows Linux/Unix/WINxx to interact. Netmeeting is simpler IF you have all Windows machines.

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also use WinVNC and its real good!!

PJ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jriver
Our software, Media Jukebox, can do this, using the Music01 server.

www.mediajukebox.com

It's free.
Jim,

This is the best MP3 jukebox I have ever seen. It may be the only one worth buying!

I really like the ability to choose the sound card you want it to play back from. I NEED that feature for my work. The media editor may also be very helpful in what we do with our MP3 files. Our editing software can't edit an MP3, it must first convert it to .wav.

Can you give more details about how to use music server 01?

Thanks,

~Jay

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a network of Macs at home, including a laptop. I use Airport (wireless networking) and just play MP3s from a netwok drive from a local player (iTunes2.) It's more or less like playing them locally, except the files are on the network as opposed to the local drive. Simple.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PortaPro
With Windows XP, you now have native full control remote capabilities.
This is only partially true, while both versions of XP allow for instant messanger to relinquish control to a remote user (while connected in a chat session), only winXP pro allows for remote desktop connection natively.

-nate

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess it depends on your OS. I put on Terminal Services on my Win2k boxes and can control them directly. Each server has like 2 licences for Admins. Before that I would use PC Anywhere from Symantec, also a VERY good remote control app.

I have a laptop out in my living room and I can connect to my other home computers and to a dozen or so work computers. All using Terminal Services. The nice thing about Term Serv. is that you can logon without disturbing the desktop, so if others are on the box, it is ok.

- Roger

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay M

Jim,

This is the best MP3 jukebox I have ever seen. It may be the only one worth buying!

I really like the ability to choose the sound card you want it to play back from. I NEED that feature for my work. The media editor may also be very helpful in what we do with our MP3 files. Our editing software can't edit an MP3, it must first convert it to .wav.

Can you give more details about how to use music server 01?

Thanks,

~Jay
Thanks, Jay.

Check under "What's this" on www.music01.com and set up an account there. Run M01 server on one machine (started from within MJ or from the Windows Start menu), then visit www.music01.com to connect. We could make this a little simpler, but we're wary of the music police.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have been disappointed with XP's remote control capabilities -- not because they're bad, but because they take a different approach than VNC or PC anywhere. When you connect remotely, you essentially 'log on' to the machine and the screen local to the machine goes to the 'logon prompt'. So, its not something you'd want to do to, say, remotely control your HTPC.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
jriver

I'm a little confused. If I want to set up a server on my home machine, and control it from another machine on my local lan, I need to set up an account on your central server, and connect to my machine through this server? Why do I need to connect to an external machine if 'm running everything internal? I'm not questioning your design choices, I'm just confused....

FYI, I use VNC to control my central mp3 server. It works, but VNC is clunky compared to running the app local to my machine. I'd love to replace this set up.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Work permit,

The short answer is copyright. You're doing something legal, but our service can be used for illegal purposes. Because we can't distinguish, we insert our server as a gate that can be closed in the future if necessary.

It is an Alice in Wonderland world we're operating in.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
jriver

Thanks a lot. Just so I understand: I can set up a music jukebox server on my HTPC, and control it with a music jukebox client on my laptop. The music will come out of the sound card on my server. The client is your native win32 client, NOT a web page or other sort of client?

One other question. I assume the server has to be running on my htpc in order to connect to it. If the server is up and running, but isn't playing any songs, will it still tie up my sound card? I use my HTPC as an mp3 jukebox AND as a DVD player for my home theater.

Sorry for being so dense. Your client looks great but before going to the trouble to set it up I want to make sure it works.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit

Thanks a lot. Just so I understand: I can set up a music jukebox server on my HTPC, and control it with a music jukebox client on my laptop. The music will come out of the sound card on my server. ]
No, the music will come out of the client.

Quote:
The client is your native win32 client, NOT a web page or other sort of client?

]
The client runs Media Jukebox. The server runs Music01 Server, a very small program.

Quote:
One other question. I assume the server has to be running on my htpc in order to connect to it. If the server is up and running, but isn't playing any songs, will it still tie up my sound card?
No. It just sits there, minding its own business and waiting for requests from clients.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
No, the music will come out of the client.
Oh, ok. In that case, it doesn't solve the problem originally posted on this thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.