AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the new Replay 4000 is going to have the ability to send one from from one room to another via it's network connection. Does anyone konw if UTV might have this feature in the future since they plan on adding a network connection via the USB ports???

------------------

2LovTiVo(Previous 2.01 Beta Team Member)

MCSE, A+

1 Sony T-60 (UnHacked) 2.5

1 Philips 30hr SA (UnHacked) (Dead - Bad Modem) 2.0.1

1 Philips 30hr Paper Weight (Dead - Bad Modem) 2.0.1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone even speculate if this can be done??? UTVINSIDER????

------------------

2LovTiVo(Previous 2.01 Beta Team Member)

MCSE, A+

1 Philips 30hr SA (UnHacked) (Dead - Bad Modem) 2.0.1

1 Philips 30hr Paper Weight (Dead - Bad Modem) 2.0.1

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
they (UTV/UTVInsider) claimed that UTV has had Ethernet working with UTV for some time, but that it wasn't ready for prime time release, and wasn't high on the list of features to get released.

so, the answer is yes, it can be done. no, it is not a UTV priority for their development group...

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Whenever they release, I believe we still have little info on what features it might actually support.

WebTV access would be likely. Video transfer is less likely I believe. An API to control via a PC would be great, but I don't sense this is currently in the works.

Ed

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would expect that this is because a USB e-net connection would be great for DSL/Cable access for the WebTV but would be way too slow for show extraction or transfer. This will have to wait for the next hardware platform that could have a 10/100 e-net like the Replay 4000 does.

Todd

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yes it would be slow, however many would be willing to wait and let it run for long periods of time.

These units run something like 1 GB per hour for video. A USB network connection can run something like 5-10 MBits per second. That is about 500-1000K bytes per second. This amounts to a transfer time of something like 15-30 minutes per hour of recorded material. At that rate, starting it at bedtime would be able to transfer 5-20 hours of video by morning. Slow, but still useable.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.