AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two replays linked via a CAT5 cable using a small 5 port linksys switch. Which was hooked up to my DSL modem/router. I am moving my modem and it will not be availble to this switch (for the replay units) anylonger. can I use a wireless usb adapter on one of the replay's or an ethernet access point on the switch? my only use of this connection would for guide info -- or if I hooked up one unit to the phone line would the 2nd replay use the 1st replays modem?

thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can't use a USB adapter, because the USB port is not enabled (and likely never will).

So a wireless bridge is pretty much your only option....personally, I'm using a pair of Belkin F5D7130 access points set up in bridge only mode.

Both machines need to connect to ReplayTV on their own for gudie updates. But, there isn't any reason why you could connect both ReplayTVs by modem to the same phone line/number.

I once had 3 ReplayTVs all connecting by phone and no problems (I got those interrupt protecting line cords....but it was still quite infrequent that I would get messages of no-dialtone [meaning one tried to call while another was already connected].)

The Dreamer

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The USB port doesn't work, so you can't use it for anything. You also can't use the modem from one Replay on the other Replay, so those are out of the question.

The easiest thing to do is hook up both to the phone line. You won't be able to stream though, but you could run a crossover CAT5 cable to get them to stream between each other.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they do stream to each other via the small switch I have in place :)

can I add a wireless bridge on that switch to get an ethernet signal to them for guide info only, then they can stream to each other only 9NO IVS needed)

thanks guys.

Ohhh one room doesn't have a phone jack :-(

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnner1999

Ohhh one room doesn't have a phone jack :-(

DNNA sells a wireless phone jack (by Phoenix) for $49 on their website that might help with that issue.

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sho...del=179&cat=36

I've never used it, so I can't say anything about how well it works or if the price is accurate.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
YES you can use a wireless ethernet bridge to get guide info to the replays. read the VERY long thread about wireless networking for cheap. Then go buy two buffalo wbr-g54 wireless routers. They are so flexible that no matter how you change your setup in the future, they are bound to still be what you need.

Setup is easy, but not simple. read the "... for cheap" thread until you understand why you are going to want to setup the units in dedicated bridge mode, and which one should be the DHCP server, and how to use MAC filtering to keep your neighbors off your network.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.