AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a new replay with networking capabilities, but as I read some posts about it and heard some of the problems I thought I would throw this out.

I installed an AV Cast network in my house. This system takes your standard coax run into all your rooms and turn it in to a video network for sharing of playback devices(i.e. dvd, replay, sat receivers...)

I sit in my bedroom watching the replayTV out in the family room. It has an IR injector that transmits my remote commands to the replayTV unit for control. The response to the remote is slightly reduced having to go through the coax, but not badly at all.

No additional wire need be run. The single coax is both and input and output to/from the AVCast network.

How does this compare to the new ReplayTV networking?

·
Registered
427 Posts
You are getting the benefit of being able to watch a program on a different TV from the one co-located with the Replay, and that is one benefit of the Ethernet networkig of the Replays. Here are some others that go beyond your current setup:

1) No use of the phone line to dial in, uses your broadband Internet connection.

2) Multiple tuners for conflict resolution. If two units are in the house and you have a conflict between shows you want to record, you can schedule them on separate units and watch them on the opposite TV by streaming. This obviously requires the purchase and activation of two separate units to get this one. Caveat - currently this will not work in a mixed generation environment - no 4K to 5K streaming and vice versa. SonicBlue is projecting a fix in the first quarter of 2003.

3) Internet Sharing - again using the broadband connectivity, if you miss a show, you can ask someone to send it to you and still watch it.

4) (Unsupported by SonicBlue) DVArchive. A program that runs on your PC and emulates another Replay, allowing you to offload programs for later viewing or watch on the PC, or even burn to DVD.

I have probably missed some, but thats a start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.