AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me as I publicly air my Networking ignorance....

I have a home network that consists of a router that has a cable modem, a PC, and a 802.11b wireless access point plugged into it. I have three other PC's that access the network through 802.11b wireless cards.

I have two 5516's that I want to be able to steam video between, but have read that there's no point in trying that with 802.11b. I also don't want to run wire from the basement to my router upstairs. So I was going to let them continue to connect to the RTV service using the modem and just hook the two RTV's together with some cable and an extra hub I have lying around, and they could use that to stream video between the two units.

My question is, can I hook an access point into the hub that the RTV's are using and let the RTV's access the Internet for their nightly updates? If so, would this also allow me use DVArchive to move shows to my PC?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Yes as long as you are able to bridge your current access point with another bridge that will connect up to the RTV hub (you should really use a switch instead of a hub for better performance) then each RTV should be able to access internet via 802.11b over the bridge, and of course stream to each other via the hub or switch. All you need at the RTV end is an 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Bridge such as Linksys WET11. I believe Dlink, Netgear and others also have such 802.11b bridges.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I recently picked up a cheap 5 port 10/100 b T switch from Office Depot for about $20 to expand my network.

You should be able to get one pretty cheaply.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As I have been finding out, you'll want to avoid the AP that has bridging capabilityies, and got with a regular bridge. They also call them "Wireless game adapters".

The Buffalo stuff that everyone around here talks about only works with other buffalo gear, and whatever that apple iThing is called.

It seems like the cost difference between B & G bridges is pretty small, so I would suggest buying G. G will downgrade itself to work with B. It won't get you anything extra today, but if you decide to upgrade your network slowly from B to G, just replacing your existing B AP/Router with a G AP/Router will get you an immediate gain with the bridge. Might be worth a couple extra bucks if you think there might be a chance of upgrading in the future.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Subrec
The Buffalo stuff that everyone around here talks about only works with other buffalo gear, and whatever that apple iThing is called.
Actually its probably one of the few Apple things that isn't an iDoohickey. I think you're probably refering to the Apple Airport or Airport Extreme.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good info.

So, tonight I decide to try the first step and just get the two rtv's to see each other through the hub. I hooked each rtv into the hub and turned everything on. The units are set to use the modem to connect to the rtv service. The manual says they will "automatically find each other". When I look on the guide screen I don't see Remote ReplayTV Finder. All the lights on the back of the rtv units are green, and the lights are green on the hub. I've rebooted everything, including the hub, several times now. Am I missing something, or does it just take the units a while to find each other?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatPyr
Thanks for all the good info.

So, tonight I decide to try the first step and just get the two rtv's to see each other through the hub. I hooked each rtv into the hub and turned everything on. The units are set to use the modem to connect to the rtv service. The manual says they will "automatically find each other". When I look on the guide screen I don't see Remote ReplayTV Finder. All the lights on the back of the rtv units are green, and the lights are green on the hub. I've rebooted everything, including the hub, several times now. Am I missing something, or does it just take the units a while to find each other?
You probably have to re-configure both RTVs to use ethernet, not modem connection. The manual alludes to the fact that you should be able to do as you are trying, but I haven't heard of anyone getting that to work. The main problem is each RTV needs to have a unique IP, so without switching to ethernet mode and configuring the IP information on each I don't see how to ensure each has a different IP. Note that if you do go ahead with the plan you would need to switch to ethernet configuration anyway.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Switching them from modem to ethernet will assure that your units no longer dial out to get updates.

Before you do that, reboot each machine (hold in the power button for ten seconds or so). This should let your units see each other.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree. I'm pretty sure you're going to need to give each a uniqe IP address, on the same subnet. However I think that once you get them to see each other you can just switch them back to modem nad they should retain their IP addresses. I could be wrong though. I haven't actually done that, I just seem to remember someone saying that is what they did to make it work.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No, you don't need to switch...

And, you shouldn't need to reboot..

Plug each each, verify you have link on the back each unit. Then, go to Menu, Setup, ReplayTVName, and pick a name for each box.

Finally, if you're running 5.1, go to 243+zones, and choose "Find Other Units." That will cause the box to re-announce itself on the network and look for any other box announcing itself on the network.

Or, once you have them hooked up with a name, you can just reboot. The boxes will default to an ip of 192.168.0.x if they don't find something handing out IPs.

But, there's no need to change your connection type. I'll add a FAQ item that talks about this in greater detail on the website.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the "Find Other Units" did the trick. I never would have found that. Since I got 5.1, I never go into 243-Zones anymore to force a connect. Seems strange that rebooting didn't seem to help. That was the first thing I tried. Thanks all.

I was wondering, instead of adding a bridge, or game adaptor, to this hub if I could just replace the hub with a wireless router? If I plug the two rtv's into the wireless router would this be able to access my existing network and Internet through the wireless access point I currently have? With sales and rebates, it seems like I could buy a wireless router much cheaper than a wireless bridge or game adaptor.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The problem with buying a wireless router is that it probably won't bridge to your existing Access Point. Depending on what you have you may be able to buy another Access Point that bridges to your existing one, though it's probably unlikely. So you are stuck going for a Wireless Ethernet Bridge or buying 2 Buffalo WBR-G54s - either way probably more expensive than you planned/hoped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's ok. I was just trying to save a few bucks. I'll probably go with the Dlink DWL-810+ bridge. I know someone who is using it with the same brand of access point that I have, and it's working well for him. I can get it for about $62 shipped. Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd recommend buying an 802.11g bridge if the cost difference isn't much. I just bought the dlink G bridge for eighty something at dell.

Even if you are not planning to move video over the network, should you decide to upgrade from B to G in the future for your other applications, you'll get better performance on the network by not having the B Bridge around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.