AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a new computer, and put XBMC on via live cd (which uses ubuntu 9.04 as a backend). No GUI is available or desired.

I want to be able to rip movies on my vista computer (something which I am familiar and comfortable with). My ubuntu computer is connected via ethernet to my vista computer. I want the hdd of my ubuntu computer to be shared in such a way that I merely copy the dvd rip to my ubuntu computer through vista.

When I installed the full ubuntu 8.10, I was able to share merely by going into the ubuntu folder I wished to share, clicking properties, and sharing it. Under network in Vista my ubuntu computer would show up.

I have tried manually editing samba.conf as described here , but to no avail as of yet.

The only other option I can think of is to install a gui for one session only and then after the hdd is shared, to somehow uninstall it. I am afraid to do this however, as I have a perfectly functioning xbmc and do not wish to mess with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I figured out that I probably need a static IP to get it to work...but in attempting to make a static IP I completely disconnected from the internet and cant seem to get it back.

Just another problem needing to be solved now

·
Registered
501 Posts
For a static IP without using any GUI configuration utilities, start by removing Network Manager.
Code:
Code:
# apt-get remove network-manager
Then edit /etc/network/interfaces so it looks something like this:
Code:
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.101
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
Change the 192.168.1.101 address to whatever you want. Make sure it's outside of the range of IP's assigned via DHCP by your router. (I'm assuming you have one. If not, then different instructions will be needed.) Make sure the first three octets match the range given by your router. If your router is on IP 192.168.1.1, for instance, only change the last number, to something between 2 and 254. The router might reserve 2-100, for example, for DHCP. So you would pick something higher than 100. And make sure "gateway" is set to the IP address of your router.

You also need to edit /etc/resolv.conf to have valid DNS servers. Usually you can set it to the IP address of your router. So /etc/resolv.conf might look like this:
Code:
Code:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
Hope this helps!

-- Kevin

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the help! I will try to see if it helps when I get back from work.

Quote:
(I'm assuming you have one. If not, then different instructions will be needed.)

I am actually connected to the internet through my main vista computer. Only an ethernet chord connects the two computers...no router is in between. My main computer is connected to the internet through wireless, if that makes any difference.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Not to send you off into a different direction but why not just share the rip folder on your vista box and mount it on your ubuntu one? Then just add the folder in XBMC and you're done -- no need to copy the files. Your crossover connection will be plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Not to send you off into a different direction but why not just share the rip folder on your vista box and mount it on your ubuntu one? Then just add the folder in XBMC and you're done -- no need to copy the files.

The issue is that while watching a movie I do not want to be dependent on my vista computer (which I have go to standby after a few minutes of non-use). A corollary of your suggestion would be if I could find, through xbmc, the files shared on my vista computer, and then copy them to the xbmc computer. However, I am not entirely sure if that is possible.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried dealing with files within xbmc and while it gives options, the "copy" and "move" options are greyed out....I assume because I do not have the correct permisions (though I could be mistaken).

I am still having difficulty with my internet....probably because I stupidly messed with my network connections file without backing it up.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/16909056

The issue is that while watching a movie I do not want to be dependent on my vista computer (which I have go to standby after a few minutes of non-use). A corollary of your suggestion would be if I could find, through xbmc, the files shared on my vista computer, and then copy them to the xbmc computer. However, I am not entirely sure if that is possible.

I see. Yeah, that's possible. I don't understand why people have their system set to standby though. It's not like you're going to save more than a few cents per month on your elec bill. Just have the monitor shut off so you don't get burn-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/16909221

I just tried dealing with files within xbmc and while it gives options, the "copy" and "move" options are greyed out....I assume because I do not have the correct permisions (though I could be mistaken).

I am still having difficulty with my internet....probably because I stupidly messed with my network connections file without backing it up.

Live and learn
Anyway, it should be easy enough for you to re-install your XBMC box to get back default settings.

Plus, I'm guessing, that if you're dependent on your Vista box for internet connection, then it prolly won't be available while it's in standby. Never had any reason to try it, so not sure.

Maybe you could set it to wake-on-lan.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, to add insult to injury, my vista computer's ethernet port has stopped working completely....the adapter is installed, but simply says nothing is connected, even when the ethernet cable is clearly connected. Tried different cables and even a different ethernet card with no results. The lights dont even come on. I have no clue how to fix this, and extensive online searching has not provided any solutions.

I am considering getting another wireless card for my ubuntu computer since I cannot seem to get it to function with my vista computer anyway, even before the ethernet problems. The only downsides are 1. cost, and 2. if I did end up having to stream from my vista computer, wireless would likely not be fast enough.

On a somewhat unrelated note...the suspend button does not work on my xbmc computer, and I suspect my computer does not support suspend....is there any way to "update" the bios or anything to support suspend?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Actually it sounds more likely that either the cable is bad, or the ethernet port on the Linux machine is bad, since I'm assuming you used the same cable and same connection on the Linux machine in both cases.

Edit: never mind about the cable, just saw you tried different cables.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
When you get your windows networking fixed (hopefully your mobo isn't going bad), here are the relevant parts of my /etc/samba/smb.conf file for sharing a folder. Note that my user name is "user" which might be confusing.

This folder (/home/user/encodes for me) will be freely accessible by any windows client on your network, so keep that in mind if you have a wireless router.

On second thought, I'll just attach the whole thing. I use this to share my encodes folder with XP (which I'm running in virtualbox, but it works the same way) because I have to use IE to upload stuff to livestream. I don't remember what all I had to change from the default, but look through it carefully for differences.

After you change /etc/samba/smb.conf you'll need to restart samba:
Code:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

smb.conf.txt 12.2060546875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I managed to get my network back to working. I think for now I will simply use my windows computer to hold the hard drive and share it with my xbmc computer. The samba way simply seems too much work for little to no benefit over a networked connection, though I might try it again in the fuutre when I am in the mood for a headache
Thanks to everyone for their help.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spoke too soon...the network situation just got weirder. When I connected my vista computer to my girlfriends laptop, the computer detected the connection, and ethernet communication worked perfectly. HOwever, when I connected my vista computer to my xbmc computer, it still did not recognize it.

The weird part is that when I connect my xbmc computer to my girlfriend's laptop, connection is again established. This makes no sense to me.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
If it were me, I'd have the XBMC box connected to the internet and the vista box getting it's internet through the XBMC box.

That said, the only thing I can think of is if you have internet connection sharing running on the vista box, something may not be 100% configured right.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
If it were me, I'd have the XBMC box connected to the internet and the vista box getting it's internet through the XBMC box.

My wirless card does not work with linux unfortunately
. This problem is driving me crazy, there is no logical reason that they would not connect.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/16915475

I spoke too soon...the network situation just got weirder. When I connected my vista computer to my girlfriends laptop, the computer detected the connection, and ethernet communication worked perfectly. HOwever, when I connected my vista computer to my xbmc computer, it still did not recognize it.

The weird part is that when I connect my xbmc computer to my girlfriend's laptop, connection is again established. This makes no sense to me.

What about the lights on the ethernet cards on both sides? Earlier you mentioned that the "lights do not come on." If the link light does not go on, no amount of software fiddling is going to make things work as the link integrity light is handled by firmware on the card and indicates whether the physical link is good or not.

One new feature that came long with gigabit ethernet is auto-mdix where the hardware figures out if you are connecting to a switch or another nic. If it is another nic then it reprograms the port to effectively act like a switch port (i.e. flips the transmit and receive wires like a null-modem or a cross-over cable).

If the laptop is gigabit but the other nics are not then it may simply be a case of needing a physical cross-over cable. But that would not explain how it ever worked in the past, unless you were using a cross-over cable and didn't know it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
What about the lights on the ethernet cards on both sides? Earlier you mentioned that the "lights do not come on." If the link light does not go on, no amount of software fiddling is going to make things work as the link integrity light is handled by firmware on the card and indicates whether the physical link is good or not.

One new feature that came long with gigabit ethernet is auto-mdix where the hardware figures out if you are connecting to a switch or another nic. If it is another nic then it reprograms the port to effectively act like a switch port (i.e. flips the transmit and receive wires like a null-modem or a cross-over cable).

If the laptop is gigabit but the other nics are not then it may simply be a case of needing a physical cross-over cable. But that would not explain how it ever worked in the past, unless you were using a cross-over cable and didn't know it.

When the two computers I own (xbmc and vista) connect, no lights go on on either computer. They used to however...something broke about a week ago. When either of my computers connects to my girlfriends laptop, all the lights go on.

In the past I also used this same ethernet cable and my vista computer to connect my xbox online. That worked perfectly (I do not know if it still works or not).

Later today I will do some more testing....try a different ethernet cable and connecting with the xbox, just to see if there is anything I am missing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.