AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know if this belongs here, but since a number of you run servers I assume you guys have some experience creating home networks.

Currently I have my main desktop PC, an HTPC hooked up the the tv in the living room, and I just finished building an unRaid server to store all of my media files.

My HTPC (running windows 7 home premium) sees everything fine. It can connect to the server as well as my desktop PC. The same is true with my laptop (macbook pro) and my girlfriend's iMac

My desktop, however, doesn't want to play nice with the network. It sees my HTPC, but when I try to connect to it I get a "Windows Security" prompt that, despite entering the password to my HTPC, won't allow me to connect to it (says "Login failure: unknown user name or bad password" )

My desktop doesn't even see the server. It did briefly last night, but whenever I tried to open it I got an error code of 0x80070035 "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network." I was getting the same error message this morning when trying to connect to the HTPC, but then I did something (I don't really know what to be honest), and now I'm getting the windows security prompt.

Everything is connected to the same workgroup. I've disable firewall and AV on the two windows machines. Networking stuff is really not my forte, and I don't even know where to go from here.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i love windows 7 but i have yet to figure out networking with it. setting are all over the place.

in an effort to make things they really made it difficult.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
How are you trying to connect to the server? Are you mapping drives or shared folders on the server? If you don't map the drives and/or folders you won't see it on the network. If you've set up a shared folder you can map it as "\\\ ower\\folder". Individual drives in the array are mapped as \\\ ower\\disk1, \\\ ower\\disk2, etc. You can even map the flash drive as \\\ ower\\flash, which comes in handy if you want to update the software across the network. FWIW, my PCs don't always reconnect to the server when I reboot until I open up one of the shared folders.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/19595261

How are you trying to connect to the server? Are you mapping drives or shared folders on the server? If you don't map the drives and/or folders you won't see it on the network. If you've set up a shared folder you can map it as "\\\ ower\\folder". Individual drives in the array are mapped as \\\ ower\\disk1, \\\ ower\\disk2, etc. You can even map the flash drive as \\\ ower\\flash, which comes in handy if you want to update the software across the network. FWIW, my PCs don't always reconnect to the server when I reboot until I open up one of the shared folders.

If I try to map using either the tower name or the ip address I get the error listed above (even though I can browse the to the ip address and access the files on the server)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts