AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it interesting how alot of (not all) network HD programs look a little on the dark side, like their purposely turning the brightness levels down. Artistic reasons perhaps?

The most recent glaring example I found was earlier tonight when I was flipping through all my HD channels just to see what was on. I came across "Gilmore Girls" and almost had to squint just to see what was going on. Granted, it was a dimly lit evening scene indoors, but jeez, it doesn't have to be that dark.

FWIW, my set is calibrated correctly and when I flip to D*'s HD channels, they look fine. Heck, not even all the network shows look dark, but it's strange to me just how many of them do.

A great example of the opposite of this, however, is George Lopez's show, and the UPN show "Kevin Hill". These shows look absolutely brilliant with none of the low brightness issues.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
They're trying to create realistic lighting. It's the same reason windows showing daylight look so bright and shadows are often very pronounced. Gone are the days of the light-washed sets that revealed too easily they were sets. Blue lighting was always a giveaway for night shots (especially when it would turn on a second or two after the set lights turned off). Day for night shooting usually had mixed results and is seldom used on high budget shoots.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I ain't the nets, it's the producers.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Realistic lighting? Ha ha ha ha ha. Each crime show has a "tint" to it. Red, blue, green. They're all copying the Matrix, which had a very green tint throughout for a very good reason.

The lighting these days is less realistic than Kansas being in black and white in The Wizard of Oz. I've been to Kansas....

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
They're trying to create realistic lighting....
Sorry, I don't agree. I have been in actual courtrooms. They are very bright places, unlike any current tv show (Law& Order, Judging Amy, etc.) shows them.

Do you think CSI investigators actually work in dark offices?

Come on. This isn't realistic. In fact, it's anti-realistic. Totally contrived. But very very chic. It's like a contest for who can make the most dark and unwatchable program.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
All the lighting guys for these shows should watch "Deadwood". Absolutely the best lighting I've ever seen.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Some producers are trying to be more realistic and some are trying to be more dramatic. They're all trying to create distinctive and creative looks since that's their jobs. I'll gladly take this dramatic lighting over the flat dull lighting that made every TV show look the same when I was growing up.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I have the same problem with Joan of Arcadia. The HS looks like it's in a permanent blackout. How do the kids learn anything if they can't see? Everybody on CSI has huge flat panel displays, but nobody's discovered the flourescent bulb. It's not TV, it's The Godfather.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PRMan
They're all copying the Matrix, which had a very green tint throughout for a very good reason.
What was the reason?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The green tint in the Matrix was not throughout, but only in segments taking place "in the Matrix" meaning in the artificial computer generated world, not the real world. It was a deliberate visual cue to let us know what was taking place in the computer generated world and what was taking place in real life. The majority of the action, especially in the first film did take place "in the Matrix" so the green was present most of the time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k
I have the same problem with Joan of Arcadia. The HS looks like it's in a permanent blackout. How do the kids learn anything if they can't see? Everybody on CSI has huge flat panel displays, but nobody's discovered the flourescent bulb. It's not TV, it's The Godfather.
You made me laugh out loud! Too funny.

Saw "Kevin Hill" again tonight. I wish every HD program looked like this one. The lighting levels are spot on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k
How about the Police Dept offices... They must not have paid the light bill, either that or Arcadia PD is trying hard to conserve tax money. This may be artistic, but I don't like it. I also don't like the fact that too may shows, JOA included, have "background" music that drowns out the character's lines.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL
Sorry, I don't agree. I have been in actual courtrooms. They are very bright places, unlike any current tv show (Law& Order, Judging Amy, etc.) shows them.

Do you think CSI investigators actually work in dark offices?

Come on. This isn't realistic. In fact, it's anti-realistic. Totally contrived. But very very chic. It's like a contest for who can make the most dark and unwatchable program.
You obviously haven't been to an truly historic courthouse then (and possibly watching too much Judge Judy). Those antique oaks an mahogany's just soak up the light like a sponge. Even during the day the lights need to be on because even the gigantic windows some of them have aren't nearly enough. Add to that, many of the light fixtures are often converted gas or oil lamps. As a former news photog in the Northeast, I have been in many such places, from upstate New York and Pennsylvania to many locations in New England - including Hartford, where Judging Amy is set.

The few times we interviewed judges, we had to do it in their chambers (much smaller area) instead of the empty courtroom. A truck full of lights wouldn't have made a dent in that gloom.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL
I have been in actual courtrooms. They are very bright places
Well, I am a litigation attorney. I have been in a few courts myself. Not all of them are brightly lit. In fact, most of them that I have been in have had terrible lighting.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PFC
Well, I am a litigation attorney. I have been in a few courts myself. Not all of them are brightly lit. In fact, most of them that I have been in have had terrible lighting.
I can verify that jail cells are not brightly lit. :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
i too wonder why some shows are like they are taking place under attack conditions! lol--CSI is the worst-it amazes me they can get ANY work done in those dimly lit spaces-HDTV is gorgeous-why are they mucking with it?guess its just some college boys trying to justify their mega salaries by trying to make whats perfect look better lol-same old story-just flip through the hd stns--some are ok and some are dark--the dark are the college boys at work-and while were at it--how come SOME shows at prime time are HD and the next one isnt?just makes me change the channel is all

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
Topics merged.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Back in my day we had Kojak and Barretta and CHiPs and Streets of San Francisco and no part of my screen was ever dark during those shows, not even during scenes that were happening at night!

And we loved it! That's why I'll never buy a plasma -- the black levels are just too dark! Flibble-dee-floog! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.