AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
bstards. If this delays the shipping date i'll be really pissed...

·
Registered
841 Posts
To celebrate this threatened law suit, my wife and I are going out this weekend and buy another VCR with Commercial Advance. Now, we were going to do this anyway, but now we have a reason to add a special celebration to the event.

Bye. :cool:

PS. When I spell checked this message, I had misspelled the word "suit" above. One of the suggested replacement words was "****". :D

PPS. OK, this is silly. The spell checker can suggest the four-letter word for fecal matter that begins with the letter "s", but if I dare include this information in a message, it gets **** out. Where did I put my copy of the 1st Amendment? :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
They can have my commercial skip when they pry it from my cold dead hand...

OK master hackers... How do we lock that feature in so that when the networks get their injunction, and ReplayTV goes to mess with our software, we can keep it?

Is the 30 second advance an inherent function that we can keep no matter what, or can some dweeb in pinstripes take it away?

R

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am having no luck loading that page, so someone give me a summary?

Let me guess: Upset about the commercial eliminating feature, they're trying to get an injunction to prevent RTV from shipping?

Wonderful.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't think their main concern is the commercial skip. There is already legal presedence concerning the VCRs that have that feature, so they will never get to win that one, however, their beef is about replaytv users being able to exchange content. Sonic Blue may be forced to temporarily suspend that feature on the units until a judge decides what will happen. This really pisses me off. We should all boycott the networks for this. When will they learn? They did the same thing when VHS came out...

Quote:
Originally posted by riffraf
They can have my commercial skip when they pry it from my cold dead hand...

OK master hackers... How do we lock that feature in so that when the networks get their injunction, and ReplayTV goes to mess with our software, we can keep it?

Is the 30 second advance an inherent function that we can keep no matter what, or can some dweeb in pinstripes take it away?

R

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I remember the TV series "Max Headroom" - seemed so cutting edge then, and so hopelessly naive now.

In that world, it was illegal to install an "off" switch on your TV set.

Fact or fiction?

These turnips really believe they have the right to control what you watch and when you watch it. And people, like the MPAA and RIAA's full-time lap dog (Aka Fritz Hollings (yes, but does it do tricks?)) are perfectly happy to help make this a reality for them.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
No, it mentions the commercial advance, and then at the end just says they're also concerned about the ability to transfer shows.

It's all nonsense. As if they can force me to watch commercials. The fact that they're calling it infringement is utterly ridiculous.

·
Registered
849 Posts
They don't have a leg to stand on. ReplayTV will honor the ESTABLISHED method of protecting content, which the providers can turn on if they so desire. If Replay were to circumvent or ignore the standard protection methods, then yes, they should be sued, but if a network doesn't want their shows to be copied, then they just need to say that in the signal and Replay won't allow it! So their suit is meritless and will not be successful, but that's not to say that they won't delay the release and if SonicBlue has to spend all their money fighting it, they may decide it's not worth the effort and scrap the 4K :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think SonicBlue will win this one, why?

First they can show that the feature is not strictly for the redistribution of TV content, i.e. a home user can load a home movie of the kids to be send to granny. Second some TV content producers will want their shows to be made available as much as possible(news, PBS, ...). Lastly, and most importantly a content producer and/or distributor can easily mark a show to be copy protected. When done so the ReplayTV unit will honor the copy protections.

A skillful lawyer may even turn this completely around and show that it's the tv industry attempting to constrain distribution. Some judges may not take too kindly to such monopolistic tactics.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Notice that they made a press release that they are "planning to sue", not that they have filed suit. This is a scare tactic, nothing more and nothing less. If it were real, they would go ahead and file the suit.

No matter how much they might want to sue over the commercial eliminator, they just can't. It's not copyright infringement, since it isn't being broadcast or distributed. It's an option that the consumer chooses to use when watching a show. It isn't forced upon the consumer, which might be grounds. They are full of it, and they know it, so they are publishing threats. "Me make big noise, watch SonicBlue run away".

Worst case is that they will go ahead an sue just to tie up SonicBlue's resources and divert media and market attention, trying to reach a settlement before they get their collective butts thrown out of the court.

While I don't expect any real legal action over the commercial advance, I would expect one for the "send a show" feature. I just don't believe that Replay will be allowed to get away with it.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's the same exact link... must have been a network hiccup...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yes, and it looked the same, too, but this second one had much better juju than the first one, 'cause my browser would open it, and not the first.

Go figure.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.