AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice this? I NEVER get a single dropout when watching SHOHD. The signal is great on this transponder. I wish they would move HBOHD here.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I never get a dropout on HBO-HD or SHO-HD, so I don't know why there would be a difference.

The last time I saw a dropout on HBO-HD was several weeks ago.

bb

·
Registered
488 Posts
How is the video quality? Is SHO worth the extra money in your book?

Are the movies WS and do you get DD 5.1? I am contemplating paying the extra dough if it is worth while.

Thanks for any feedback,

Ernie

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ernie, in my opinion, NO... SHOHD is not worth the extra cash. They rerun stuff MUCH more than HBO and their content sucks. Most of the stuff is UPCONVERTS, and once in a blue moon we'll get some true HD.

They're not worth it right now, possibly in the future.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Get HBO-HD dropouts when using the Panny. Never with the DST-3000.
Sounds like it's the panny that is the problem.

bb

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

Sounds like it's the panny that is the problem.

bb
It is. If I'm not mistaken, it's a well documented issue.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomwid
Ernie, in my opinion, NO... SHOHD is not worth the extra cash. They rerun stuff MUCH more than HBO and their content sucks. Most of the stuff is UPCONVERTS, and once in a blue moon we'll get some true HD.

They're not worth it right now, possibly in the future.
Here we go again.

Showtime is most definitely worth it. Upconverted widescreen movies are often as good as many of HBO's supposed HD movies. Showtime maintains OAR for 2.35 movies whereas HBO disfigures 2.35 movies by cutting content to fill the screen. Of the widescreen movies on Showtime HD, about 40 to 50% of HD transfers and the rest are upconverted. I wouldn't give up Showtime for anything.

Showtime will also be debuting a new SciFi series in June done entirely in HD.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry, like I said, it's MY OPINION. That's all it is.

To me, it's not worth it. If it's worth it to you, more power to you dude.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've had a number of movies recorded from showtime and hbo that when run through ec (errorcount by balazer) have 0 errors. Very nice! I don't have that fantastic of a dish network reception strength either.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Smith
Is SHO worth the extra money in your book?

Are the movies WS and do you get DD 5.1?
Yes, yes, and yes. Enough said.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tomwid
Jerry, like I said, it's MY OPINION. That's all it is.

To me, it's not worth it. If it's worth it to you, more power to you dude.
Sorry. No offence intended.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sangs - I added a line amplifier - rat shack 15-1170 per Ken H's instructions between the Dish 5000 modulator and Tu-DST50. Rerecorded Apocalypse Now Redux. I did not notice a single drop-out. So if you have drop outs this may help you too.

Rick

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. More positive than negative so I think I will give it a go. What the hey, it's only money.

I bothers me that HBO doesn't give us more DD 5.1.

Ernie:)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ernie. I believe all new HD movies are 5.1 and of course in cropovision. A lot of the older movies do not have a 5.1 soundtrack. Unless they remaster the print and add 5.1 you will only get dolby prologic which was great when it was all we could get.

·
Registered
488 Posts
WEZAR:

I am confused then or I am misreading info from HDTV Mag, which in all likelyhood you are also receiving.

Today's choices on HBO are: THE BIG KAHUNA, ARTHUR, DR DOOLITTLE 2, BOYCOTT, CASTAWAY, SAVING SILVERMAN, AND SHREK. They are ALL listed as "HDTV STEREO" Yet there are a number of movies listed on SHO as DD 5.1.

I know that CASTAWAY and SHREK should be in DD 5.1.

Usually the proof of the pudding is in the eating and when my receiver informs me that it is playing in digital and I get action in my rear speakers, I know that I am receiving DD 5.1. When I do it sounds great and certainly enhances my watching and listening experience.

Explain what is going on, on HBO then, will you?

Ernie

:confused:

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Smith
WEZAR:

I am confused then or I am misreading info from HDTV Mag, which in all likelyhood you are also receiving.

Today's choices on HBO are: THE BIG KAHUNA, ARTHUR, DR DOOLITTLE 2, BOYCOTT, CASTAWAY, SAVING SILVERMAN, AND SHREK. They are ALL listed as "HDTV STEREO" Yet there are a number of movies listed on SHO as DD 5.1.

I know that CASTAWAY and SHREK should be in DD 5.1.

Usually the proof of the pudding is in the eating and when my receiver informs me that it is playing in digital and I get action in my rear speakers, I know that I am receiving DD 5.1. When I do it sounds great and certainly enhances my watching and listening experience.

Explain what is going on, on HBO then, will you?

Ernie

:confused:
Keep in mind that ProLogic can also produce some fairly decent rear channel sound. ProLogic will not have the dynamic range for the rears (actually side) channels that DD has and ProLogic will have the same sound in the right and left side whereas DD can have different tracks in the left and right side channels.

Most of HBO's newer transfers are done in DD 5.1. The older transfers are in 2.0 ProLogic. Showtime has been doing 5.1 longer than HBO. I find it amusing that HBO brags about "True HD" and yet destroys 2.35 movies. HBO is content to say "stereo", yet the newer movies are in 5.1. HBO just doesn't seem to care about these things.

BTW, Showtime has recently reaffirmed their intention to maintain OAR in a recent interview with HDTV magazine. This is terrific news. Yes, HBO has more HD transfers and most likely more popular movies than Showtime. But Showtime is still my favorite as I like many of the HD transferred and widescreen upconverted movies and OAR is maintained. Showtime also stated that when an HD transfer is available, that's what they will use instead of an upconvert. HBO does their own transfers. I suspect (unsubstantiated) that there is something not so pretty behind HBO's ability to do their own transfers and have more HD movies than Showtime. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ernie, I think Jerry said it all. I will repeat some of it as it relates to my equipment.

I use a Denon AVP 8000 preamp and it shows two lights for Dolby Digital in stereo which would include prologic audio comprised of three seperate channels for the front and a common rear signal for the two rear speakers.

5.1 Has five lights, one for each of the five channels and a LFE light for the .1 bass channel.

Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.