AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody dealt with dust blobs occuring on the AE200? I think I have one in the very bottom center of the screen. Panasonic says it's normal and all AE2000 eventually develop this?

Ted

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem, I thought dust blobs were covered under warranty. To sopend the kind of money that these things cost, we shouldn't have to deal with them. Panny seems to be notorious for dust blobs, and it doesn't look like they fixed them. It strange though since some people have never experienced this issue. I guess your best bet is taking that thing apart and blowing out the dust yourself, which ruins the warranty, but they aren't doing anything anyway, so might as well. I'd call and complain some more to see if you can get it fixed. Sometimes when you talk to someone differernt, you can get farther. I assume you have the AE2000, since I don't thin the 3000 has been out that long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worry if i open it up I may make it worse!

I can't believe it wouldn't be taken care of under warranty either! Given it's Friday, I'll try again monday and see if Panasonic USA is of more help maybe.

Does anybody have any email addresses for somebody at Panasonic that might actually care about this issue and not pass the buck, so to speak?

The sad/ironic thing is, I'm the go-to guy for home theater in my 'social circle(s)', and I'm also only 35. If I never buy panny again, plus tell everyone who will listen not to buy, well....let's just say I'm pretty sure over the course of the next 40 (knock on wood!
) years they will have lost in the 6 figures worth of sales over there stance on this issue. Plus, I'm sure my case here is most likely not an isolated incident.

(Tempted to just Ebay the projector and order a Sony LCOS model and be done with this!
)

·
Registered
157 Posts
tbadiuk, I am sorry to hear about your dust blob problem. I am a proud owner of a Panasonic AE3000 and, seriously speaking, I would buy another one in a flash if I needed it. While it's true that I haven't personally experienced this type of problem, the video image quality I get from it greatly offsets any potential issues like this. Why? Well, dealing with a dust blob is not as scary as it may sound. Read this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15390540

I agree with you that a piece of equipment at this price level should be way more reliable, but it's not the end of the world either. Coming from DLP, I thought I would never go the LCD route, but the AE3000 proved me wrong. And at its current street price, it is considerably cheaper than similar offerings from the LCoS and DLP camps and, IMHO, an excellent performer. I already have one of those dust removers, just in case.

So, now that you are mad after dealing with canned replies from factory warranty reps, relax, try the

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I used to clean my own panels all the time on an older Sony LCD projector.

Sanyo has a nice feature where you can access the panels without taking the projector apart. They had access panels on the bottom of the projector.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My Sanyo Z3 has a little cover that you take off, and then you just insert the air blower tool into the machine and blow the dust out. Considering how old the Z3 is I can't believe most LCD projectors don't have a similiar feature yet.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbadiuk /forum/post/15443595

I worry if i open it up I may make it worse!

That's pretty much how I felt last week when I tore apart my Panasonic AX100. Either I'm a freakin' genius or I got damn lucky (probably the latter) because once I got it all back together, all the dust was gone!

Sucks that you've got this problem after only 200 hours of use, but if you're at all mechanically or technically inclined, you can probably take it apart and blow the dust out.

As for dealing with Panasonic customer support, don't forget the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". They allegedly made a revision to the AE3000 to help deal with the dust blob issue, so in essence they have admitted there is a problem. I'd definitely make mention of that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Even though I have Lcos machine ( JVC HD1) I still ordered the CleanDR kit. Worth a try in your case. Sorry about the early issue, but some other owners are experiencing the same problems as you are also. Give the cleandr a try though.

http://digitalinnovations.com/Mercha...y_Code=CleanDr

·
Registered
235 Posts
You may have tried, but it really is worth taking a shot to call and try to actually speak with a real live customer service rep. My experience with many companies, they do have people somewhere in the organization (perhaps deep!) that truly care about the customer, but you need to be prepared to try a few times.

·
Registered
157 Posts
And don't forget that using CleanDR kit to remove the dust blob, as explained on the link in my post above, does not require you to open the pj. Just a few blows through the front exhaust vents near the lens, should do the trick.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaycurse /forum/post/15451571

My sister had a problem with her TV. On the first customer service call, she was told that she had to buy a new one. Call 2 and she gets a brand new unit sent to her doorstep. Just try again.

I agree. Try again and if it doesn't get anywhere request to speak to a supervisor.

Hopefully you'll be able to salvage something so that you won't have to shell out for another projector so soon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
IMO, the response you got from Panasonic is quite cordial. It sucks some dust got into your projector, but I can't see how you can legitimately expect "being clean" to fall under warranty.

If you want to fault Panasonic for failing to build a projector with enough protection against this, feel free to file a class action. But as they replied, this is something that everyone with a non-sealed light path projector has to deal with. Most of the time you never have dust get in. But once in a while a particle gets in somehow. And you deal with it by cleaning.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
I own an AE900 and I had a dust blob once. I carefully removed the cover and used air spray on the three panels. This removed the dust. I am not sure how you would do it on the AE2000/30000 but I don't think it should be that difficult. You just have to be careful that you don't tilt the spray to allow liquid to get into the unit. One could also use the cleaner in in the link a few posts back.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I just ordered the liquid/oil free cleaner. Should also be good for scaring the wife. She LOVES that. I've used a couple of methods on a couple of projectors to get rid of the blobs. My newish Panny 2000 fortunately hasn't had a problem yet.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
I've opened up 3 or 4 of my lcd projectors, mostly Panasonic's back in the earlier lcd days (AE100, AE200 etc). I successfully cleaned the dust blobs out each time, but it was un-nerving and stressfull. I had no choice because the lcd projectors were used or out of warranty at the time. I can't stand dust blobs anymore. There are ways to reduce their occurance, but to me, it's too much of a risk to take and put up with the hassle. I too am looking to LCOS sealed light path for my next projector.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.