AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like lately I've dissapointed as much as I have been dazzled...

Everything from reception problems to lack of programming to non-OAR to NFL HD games blacked out to ridiculous over-compression(ie.LOTR II) has been very frustrating.

I understand that we are early adopters...but many of these issues seem to be more "policy" related than technology related.

I'm not going to give up yet..:) But I'm not holding my breath for things to change quickly either...

Just my .02...I could be wrong......

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometimes it's a frustrating hobby, but the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I had my set calibrated last weekend, and tonight's MNF game is dazzling here in Columbus. The players are more real looking than I am in a mirror. That's when it pays off.

-- Scott

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
My mirror is only 480P "enhanced definition widescreen."
didn't know FOX made mirrors

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Woo hoo, I got mine last november so that make me one (in his opinion, of course I didn't get my hd cable box till days before the superbowl). Wait, how does that help me. ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lets try to remember it's not the HD thats frustrating its.......

A. The company's that are willing to give you HD but only if they can

compress it enough to fit into their scheme of things.

B. The Local Stations that are only willing to abide by the minimal FCC

Guidelines for transmission of a DTV signal, while they build new sets for

their newscasts, and helicopters, and other equipment other than

HD equipment. (Then say theres no money in the budget for HD)!

C. And then of course there are those Cable outlets that either don't know

that HD exists or, Hmmmm...Just don't Care!

HD is not frustrating, Receiving it is!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If it were easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Anything worth having is hard to get.

When HDTV is easy, I will have to find something else to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Lets try to remember it's not the HD thats frustrating its.......

A. The company's that are willing to give you HD but only if they can

compress it enough to fit into their scheme of things.

B. The Local Stations that are only willing to abide by the minimal FCC

Guidelines for transmission of a DTV signal, while they build new sets for

their newscasts, and helicopters, and other equipment other than

HD equipment. (Then say theres no money in the budget for HD)!

C. And then of course there are those Cable outlets that either don't know

that HD exists or, Hmmmm...Just don't Care!

HD is not frustrating, Receiving it is!

Exactly...like I said it seems to be more of a policy issue..

Quote:
If it were easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Anything worth having is hard to get.

Well after you spend thousands on an HDTV television and HD receiver and multi-dish, etc... that's really little comfort..

I'm not looking for a challenge here.....

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Shoot, I feel like we're living in the golden age of HDTV compared to two or three years ago.

When I first adopted HDTV, we had to walk uphill both ways - in the snow - to mount the antenna... :)

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by factory15
Well after you spend thousands on an HDTV television and HD receiver and multi-dish, etc... that's really little comfort..

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here:

Now you know how stations feel after spending millions of dollars to send digital pictures and all the audience can ***** about is why isn't Survivor in HD? Why isn't this game in HD? Why isn't the news in HD? Why isn't Fear Factor in HD? Why isn't 54321 in HD? Why is ESPN stretching non HD material? I spent thousands of dollars, yada yada yada.

How would like to spend to spend millions of dollars and only have network programs available to you to send in HD? That is about all that is available currently so stations do feel your pain, they just can't do much about it and that is why you hear the line when more viewers/programs are available, we will spend the money to send HD.

It goes on adnausium.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Now allow me to play Devils advocate here!

We spent thousands of dollars to receive HD the right way, and stations refuse to pass thru the HD! We did the right thing Why cant they?

Is it not true that most "local" stations are only an outlet for the Networks signal. I say this because in reality I would guess that only 20% if that, for most local affiliates is original programming! Now I'm not suggesting that local stations do the news in HD! I get the argument! But at least send the networks programs that are in HD to us.

I happen to believe that there is alot of Network content in HD this year, so the argument about programming is becoming slim at best!

Just my .02!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by factory15

I can understand your position.

I would say 90% of people agree with you.

I haven't watched anything but Football, TechTV, and the History Channel for years.

But since I have bought my HDTV 2 months ago, I have been enjoying so much more programming.

For me the technology is fun.

My wife even kids me by saying

"You like to talk about HDTV more than you like to watch it"

I am enjoying it while it lasts, soon enough I will be bored with it, and have to find another over priced hobby.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What are the latest numbers on number of people with HD? I have a problem looking at my self as an early adopter and I bought my HDTV in february and have been enjoying it ever since. There are more and more channels coming on, I turn on the tv on a primetime night and there are more HD shows than not on the main networks (Fox of course doesn't have anything, but the math works counting them). CBS has HD on most every show, NBC is getting better and ABC is pretty darn good too. On top of this I can choose to watch an HBO movie or a SHO movie or maybe a nature show on Discovery HD and when I want to convince my Fiance how great HD is (so she can appreciate what I keep talking about) I find out when Discovery HD is going to show a trading spaces episode in HD and she is sold - the football she didn't get but to see that show in HD now that is amazing...........(no comments neccessary)

So my point is that there are some pains and most can be attributed from being between technologies but there is still enough great stuff out there to enjoy HD. Also if you did some research of how you were about to spend your thousands of dollars none of it should be a surprise and if you didn't do your research then I am going to assume that you have tons of money to spend for the fun of it and then you shouldn't complain..........

·
Registered
155 Posts
Location, Location, Location.

No frustration where I live. Every possible OTA channel through cheap antennas, plus the DirecTV HD package. I have more HD than I can handle! I keep surfing through the various HD channels that I end up missing the actual content - that's my only frustration!!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The most frustrating aspect to me is the fact that the HD stations broadcast HD all the time, even when the source is SD. It's worse when SD broadcasts are letterboxed. You end up with a signal that, because it's HD, can't be zoomed on the majority of hardware out there, so you end up with pillar-boxing and letterboxing at the same time. IMHO, if an HD station is going to broadcast SD material, they should either upconvert it at their end, or broadcast it at SD.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab
What are the latest numbers on number of people with HD?
There is 7 million displays in the country with only about 3 to 4 million with a HD signal connected to the displays. The rest are used for DVD's only.

Go figure! They spend all that money on a HD set and use it for DVD's only! What a waste.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.