AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've been shopping around for a receiver, with a big emphasis on room correction. Based on what I've researched, I would go with option two for the sake of better room correction alone. The main focus of RC is low-end, but that includes some of what your LCR speakers handle, so that will in itself improve the sound of your LCR speakers, as well as your subs.

FWIW, as far as RC goes, I've basically decided on something that allows for XT32 Pro or go with Anthem's ARC in one of their receivers. I'd like to go the XT32 Pro route, but that is more expensive than Anthem's MRX300 (which is all I need since I have an external amp for the LCR speakers).

·
Vendor
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/0

Go the EQ upgrade route and get the XT32 AVR. Note however, that neither the 3008 nor the 5008 is Pro Installer ready so you would not be able to use the Audyssey Pro Installer kit for even more fine tuning as mentioned by skvinson.

I saw that, but again, the price of the 3008 on Amazon at the moment puts it as the only XT 32 receiver within reach for me.

Are there any "last year" model AVR's that have XT 32 and can be found new still?

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Hi. BCJ, I agree that XT32 should be your next upgrade. The Denon 4311 is the most capable AVR with XT32-it is 9.2 with int amps, but is the only 11.2 capable unit and it is Pro-ready. It also has the HT hobbyist-handy Denon Network save/load feature. It is usually around $1.5K street AFAIK from authorized dealer (Denon is fussy about this so unauthorized =no OEM 3 yr warranty). It is reliable and runs cool, a great value for the price. But it's not THX certified like the Onks, FWIW.

I researched all this months ago so I'll summarize. Other than the 3008 you've found,
Audyssey website indicates only the following AVRs have XT32:

The Onkyo TX NR5008, offering some possible SQ upgrades (toroidal transformer, etc) over the 3008 but of course for more $.

You're familiar with the elite Integra line, which offers versions of those Onk models (hard-to-find-discounted, more expensive, higher MSRP), the DTR 80.2 and 70.2 both of which have XT32.

That's it. Note the Onk SC5508 and Int DHC 80.2 are pre/pros, not AVRs.

The 3008 is a good value. Know that it needs some breathing space and/or a fan as Onks run kinda hot. Check on their thread as to whether you need buy authorized for the OEM warranty but in any case, do this:

Directly contact (call or chat) several authorized dealers to check their "best price" on the 4311, 3008 and 5008. Any would be good IMO, just pick one based on value to you and your budget. Call J&R, AVS, see this post for more info.

I decided I would spend the extra for a Pro kit (about $700 altogether) so the best value was the Denon. As jd pointed out, the Onk models don't have this capability. I am VERY happy with that decision. I got a cherry used A100 for around $1.5K and a used Pro kit and it sounds fab! Happy hunting!

·
Vendor
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MacMall.com has refurbished Denon 4311's for the same price as the Onkyo 3008 from Amazon.

Before my Integra I had a Denon AVR-1910, so I know they are good quality and run great....but how well can refurbished be trusted? I really want the Denon (so that I can use Audyssey Pro in the future), but not at the expense of sacrificing quality. Any opinions?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Refurbished can be "trusted" as much as the warranty. Dakmart also has refurbished Denon's (w. a 1 year warranty). Plus, you might still be able to buy 3rd party warranties. That way you save money and have just as much coverage as new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.