AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i need some help with powerstrip. I am using a key digital vga to component transcoder and trying to display it on my hdtv.

My goal is to play this game (Neverwinter Nights) in high def (1080i or 540p) on my projection tv.

I have the following equipment:

Pana 4:3 PT-51HX40B (540p & 1080i) w/ componant, s, and rca inputs

Key Digital Transcoder (VTCA2)

Dell 600mhz w/256MB 40G&80G drives and a Hercules Prophet II 3d (nvida geforce II GTS Pro 64MB DDR with dvi-d, s, and vga outs

Windows XP Pro running powerstrip 3.x

I have FOUGHT with this for about 10 hrs and need some help.

The best desktop display i have found is 920x500p.

Nwn (Neverwinter Nights) has the following 60hz resolutions:

800x600

1024x768

1152x864

1280x720

1280x768

1280x960

1280x1024

1360x768

1360x1088

1440x960

1440x1080

1600x900

1600x1024

1600x1200

1800x960

1920x1080

1920x1200

The only thing that has worked for me is changing my desktop resolution to 960x540p, setting a powerswitch application profile for Nwn set to 1920x1080i and my Nwn game resolution set to run at 1920x1080. AHHHHH!!! and i found that on accident.

The first time i run the game it works GREAT, looks GREAT and is full screen, the only exception is slight overscanning which is very tolarable. When i exit the game the desktop resolution is at like 1920x1080(which i cant normally switch to with powerswitch)...i think i really dont know, i just know its way too small to see and very overscanned. So i switch back to 960x540p and run the game again but this time game runs in a very small, centered window and i have to restart the computer to play the game at full screen again. I have tried to restart powerstrip and change resolutions but the only thing that seems to work is rebooting.

I have read Karnis's Powerstrip how-to and have pasted his custom timings for the nvidia chipset.

I have tried a ton of combinations and am lookin for some veteran guidance before i chuck this out the window!! hehe

I have heard great things about this forum and am hoping that you can help me as i feel that im at an impass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I run it at 1024x768 in a 1280x960i fullscreen resolution - that gets me a great picture with easy-to-read text and no overscan. Just setup a working 1280x960i resolution, lock the settings and create a new resolution at 1024x768.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

Im really strugglin. Could it be my video card drivers? What is the best version of nvidia driver?

How do i completely remove powerstrip and video drivers and start over?

Is there a custom timing guide for nvidia cards like the one for radeon cards?

I can still take the Key Digital vtca2 back and get a better video card. The key digital cost me about $200 bucks. I would be willing to spend $300 - $400 for a KILLER video card that solved my problem as well as played great games.

Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
"well, it ran but it wasnt full screen or 1080i like i had it running before."

Well, it won't be at 1080i, it'll be at 1024x768 in the middle of a 1280x960i resolution picture. For full screen (as opposed to widescreen), just lower the scan rate to around 31.4 kHz.

As for my setup, it's an ATI Radeon 8500 hooked up to an AudioAuthority transcoder hooked up to a 36" Panasonic HDTV (one of the older models from when they still had vertical scanline compression for widescreen shows).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That didnt work either and i have passed the 24 hr mark and am really frustrated. I dont think what i am trying to accomplish is doable.

Like i said in my original post, i have gotten it to work once and the picture quality was FANTASTIC and i have no idea what i did. Well i do but i have no idea why it worked and it wont work untill the machine is rebooted....but i stated all that up there.

I am getting very eratic results and dont know how to troubleshoot them. I have removed my video drivers and powerstrip many times and have reloaded my os as well.

I have read the beginner meta faq , karnis's radeon/powerstrip faq, Mark Rejhon definitive guide and and countless others as well as searched this forum. I have learned a lot of what seems to be very good theoretical yet usless information to this point.

I am hoping that someone can help me put it all together and DISCOVER what the heck is going on. I tried to be very detailed in my original post...if im missing something tell me, if im being a retard tell me, if i dont know what im doing and i should stop tell me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dream, could you elaborate a little more on how you have it running. I'm not sure i interpreted it correctly and i am new at this.

Do you set the games resolution thru the "configure" menu option in the game to [email protected] and then set the game to run in a 1024x768i powerstrip application window all while launching the game from a 1280x960i desktop?

btw, I see many places to lock all kinds of things of different screens so i am a little lost.

This is what you wrote:

I run it at 1024x768 in a 1280x960i fullscreen resolution - that gets me a great picture with easy-to-read text and no overscan. Just setup a working 1280x960i resolution, lock the settings and create a new resolution at 1024x768.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I run it 1360x720 on my GW2 through DVI. When I added the resolution to powerstrip it now shows up as a resolution in the game. It looks great, but plays a little slow on my radeon 7500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drakken, could you tell me exactly how you do that?

What is your desktop resolution before you launch the game?

Do you have an application profile for the game? if so what is it.

What is your actual game resolution as set in the game?

and what is your desktop resolution when you exit the game?

my destop resolution changes to whatever the game resolution was.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Originally posted by dtdionne

What is your desktop resolution before you launch the game?

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakkenFire
I run it 1360x720..When I added the resolution to powerstrip it now shows up as a resolution in the game.

peace

·
Registered
193 Posts
I didnt really use any voodoo magic...

I set up a display profile in PS for my resolution of 1360x720. Thats what I run as my desktop. About a week later I installed NWN and when I went to the video options from in-game and hit the resolutions button 1360x720 was one of the resolutions on the list. I clicked it and after a screen flicker it came up fullscreen.

Maybe its because I set up my profile BEFORE I installed NWN? Maybe NWN checks the drivers for supported resolutions when it installs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i guess i kinda got it runnin, but im gonna redo the machine and put 98 and XP on it. I think the problem im having now is an issue with nvidia cards and the way they interlace. I cant read any text on my desktop or in the game.

Could someone verify this and let me know if there is a workaround for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump

is there a workaround for the way nvidia does interlacing? i have searched the forum and not found an answer

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry, I think that most HTPC users have Radeons. I know there have been a couple geforce threads tho... Havent seen any for a while... I would go back a few months...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i just went and got the 9800 pro to demo. I have just finished addin karnis's custom resolutions and it looks really good, alot better then the geforce.

I read a thread talking about waitin for the ati card that will support htpc directly and im wonderin what card i should get until that card comes out. My main application will be games but i do not want the 9800, its too expensive. What card should i get?

btw, does anyone else get the annoying "Display Settings" box pop-up upon XP startup that states "Your computer's screen resolution and color depth are currently set to a very low level. You can get a better picture by increasing these settings. To do this, click this balloon."?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.