AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to upgrade my mx-810 for something more flexible. I wanted a pronto 9400, and was about to, then the price went up on them. For the remote and extender I was looking at 700 dollars.

Then I started looking at the nevo sl, it came out 4 years ago, but was priced over a grand when it came out. I really liked the look of it, the current nevo s70 looks alot like it. Then I found a great deal on one, limited edition, in a piano black finish, i love black in my theater, and it looked spectacular. Pictures below.

http://www.avac.co.jp/pages/204/Black_Nevo_SL_7b.jpg

Suffice to say reading about it, my concerns were with wifi, im happy to say 4 days in i have had no disconnects. I guess we will wait and see long term, but my mx-810 always had problems with the rf base station, it would always occasionally miss commands when launching activities, the guy that sold me the nevo told me there must be interference. I checked the area where I had it, there was no interference, but there was interference right where I sit usually. I have no idea where it was coming from, it was in a random spot with nothing around.

The software is very easy, I dont know why nevo does not allow end users to use the remote. I would purchase this remote, but I wouldnt pay an installer to set it up.

Regardless, I dont have the remote completely finished programming yet, I have spent to much time playing. I love the fact i can launch music from the remote into my home theater from anywhere in the house. The signal for me is always strong.

My only problem is the touch screen could be a bit more responsive, but the hard buttons function mainly as the main buttons, such as up and down left and right, volume, channel up and down ok, ect... And the graphic buttons usually as special functions.

I even was able to put my favorite remote layout on it. This pronto layout I have been amazed at for quite some time, and it looks just like it did on the pronto 7000, except ten times easier to program. You can check it out below.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...lerot_pro4.zip

I was able to purchase this and the extender basestation for 299, from an authorized dealer. For those who are looking at harmony one or an mx-880, for the same price you can get a big step up in features, customization, graphics, if thats whats your looking for. If you like the simplicity of those other remotes, and lots of hard buttons, then it probably wont be worth it.

Just keep in mind, its still a great remote that can be found at a great price.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I guess the only thing that would concern me is that the SL is EOL. I got the Q50 and love it. Especially now that the 2-way Z-wave support is in place I can now configure whole home control.
Very easy to program. In fact, it is much, much more intuitive than my Logitech Harmony 890 Pro. All in all, I'm glad you found a remote you enjoy.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I liked the q50 quite a bit, and might have went with it, but the screen was such a downgrade, and I also loved how i could browse my media library using the wifi, i dont know if its possible with the q50 to do this, it was two big selling points. If the screen was the same i might have went with it. I like to do custom graphics, and like a great looking screen.

I like the transport buttons as well, but one of the great things about a touch screen is using it. I guess if people dont like looking at a remote its a different story. I have mine configured though so I dont really have to look at the remote if I dont want to. Theres 4 hard buttons, you can make ff rewind stop play if you wanted. I have button beeps and pressed and release states in the graphics so it feels proper when you press the touch screen. I dont really use ff rewind much, watching blue rays im not really trying to ff and rewind scenes. Because I like the pronto layout so much with the ff,rewind, play, stop, i decided to just use the touch screen with that. Again I dont really ff rewind much, and with my ps3 watching blue rays, i dont even think you can use the play button unless its paused. I just use the ok button usually to navigate.

Tv is a different story, so i have guide, menu, exit, info, tied to the hard buttons, so i can channel surf without looking.

I also have large buttons on the touchscreen so its easy to use.

I have not had one disconnect with my remote, my only complaint is battery life, I get about 5 hours out of the cradle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts