Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest news:

New D-ILA 1080p 0.7" panel

From limited Japanese reading, it seems to be indicating that this new panel will be MP in August, and JVC plans on to introduce this 1080p on 61" and 70" RPTV. The benefit is that the same size of the current 720p 0.7", the 1080p model can be quickly implemented once the optics and screen upgrades to higher resolution needed for the 1080p.

Will JVC bring out a HD2K-mini using this panel? :cool: From the way JVC sets their HX2 pricing, I would guess they probably would set $12,000 for this HD2K-mini using this 0.7" 1080p.

It's getting interesting everyday when we get closer to CEDIA .... :p

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Ohlson?

Darin?

anybody?

;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, and for all the tech-hunger folks, here is a link with more technical details:

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/press/2005/d-ila.html

5000:1 panel contrast (why are they emphasizing this? we never saw any system contrast over 3000:1 ....)

0.7" size

89% aperture ratio

I certainly hope JVC can do away the ugly HD2K ID (which was carried over from their data projector ...) and incorporate HS51-like auto IRIS with multiple lamp settings ....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In a table in one of those articles 5000:1 is the rated CR for all JVC's panels; maybe someone can verify this is what JVC has always rated the panel in the HD2K "as a single device." We know the CR of the HD2K is really around 2000-2300:1 after calibration, so we'll see what the CR of this new chip is after it's implemented.

The 60" and 71" RPs would appear to be a response to Sony's upcoming SXRD RPs.

Dan

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It doesn't say anything about those chips being used in front projection devices.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's good to see both Victor and Sony working away at 1080p LCoS, but I do wonder how long it'll be before we see front projectors sub-$7000 with them. Not in 2006, that's almost certain.

I am curious what Canon could do if they OEM these off Victor. Maybe affordable 1080p LCoS is do-able in the near future after all. Of course, as well priced as Canon are relative to performance + build quality, they aren't exactly known for taking opportunities and running with them.

Anyone else notive the appature ratio has dropped below 90%? DLP seems to be going upward, and LCoS downward...

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It is new but is it news. Did we not expect a 1080p panel for rearprojection? Can a panel like this be equipped with either an analog or a digital back end. That is something I would like to know or if this is a panel for digital control only.

It is clearly lower in performance with the lower aperture ratio. JVC has stated that digital drive will be used for consumer applications. Is that only rear projection? I do not know.

I think the 1080p panel in hd2k is small enough and price would be best lowered by getting to sell and produce in volumes.

Still a 0.7 inch 1080p digital drive d-ila with a DI could do well if they can improve one the digital drive.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Ohlson,

I know what you mean.

HD2K panel was before JVC hooked up with Aurora, who provided the digital backplane for the newer D-ILA panels using digital drive.

With pixel getting smaller, acutally, I'm not too surprise to see the aperture ratio going down (just like Epson's D5 1080p aperture is lower than D4 1080p), it maybe due to physical limitations. But 89% is still pretty good, considering we are projecting 1080p in 120 to 150", if we don't see the SDE in 720p DILA at 100-120", we won't see them 1080p in 120 to 150" even if the aperture is lowered.

I would believe since JVC is targeting this lower cost 1080p in RP first (just like TI did to their 1080p strategy, xHD4 priority over true 1920x1080), it WILL be digitally driven, let's hope it's the 2nd generation from Aurora, with improved performance.

Even though front projection is not mentioned in the press, I would not be surprised that JVC is working on a HD2K-mini. The priority, however, is to push out affordable 1080p RPTV first. After all, it's where the volume is. TI did beat Sony/JVC to "affordable 1080p RPTV" using xHD4 diamond 1080p, so Sony and JVC are playing catch-up now.

Let's just hope that we will be seeing an early prototype from JVC (or even Canon) on the 0.7" 1080p D-ILA at CEDIA ...

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
TzungILin

The surprise might be that a JVC 1080p rptv ends up with a sharper look then the dlp with xHD4. We are not talking about SDE but the touch of sharpness any remnant of a grid adds to our perception. Without a DI JVC is shooting themselves in the foot. I hope they will not.

In applications for the chip home theater was listed separatly from rptv.

·
Premium Member
24,322 Posts
This is great news for FP - maybe.

It still remains to be proven that LCOS in any of its forms can be mass produced.

If JVC is going for volume and has the yields to back it up, then that's great; I don't see why they wouldn't want to compete in the volume FP market.

But that might not happen and we could end up with the RP equivalent of DILA pj's, very nice but at the rarified upper end of the market.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
They are still behind Sony, which released their new .61", 5:000:1 CR, 90% aperture ratio SXRD in their new 50" and 60" RPTV.

smaller chips means higher yield, so hopefully LCOS/SXRD devices for the masses.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm assuming that this chip will be the one in the JVC 1080p sets being released this fall? It mentions using them in RPTV's, but not when.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
There was definitely a rumor that surfaced recently about JVC coming out with a PJ to slot b/t the HX2 and HD2K but it wasn't clear what that would consist of. Some (me!) speculated that it'd have the HX2's resolution, the HD2K's CR, and the HD2K's 2 box design.

With this new chip, that adds a third possible element to the mix (i.e. resolution). Question is, what does JVC sacrifice from the HD2K to give us a (much) lower MSRP? The HD2K is not like the Qualia with its insane build quality, choice of lenses, and super premium priced bulb - any of which could be left out to make a cheaper sxrd PJ, even with the same chips.

CEDIA does indeed get more interesting by the day...

TM

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
it's time for 3000:1 real CR, lens shift, lower noise level

DILA is really an amazing technology compared to lcd (vb, shading, dust) and dlp motion dithering. besides,fill factor is amazing.

they just need some better marketing and more features.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
the panel in this thread does not have amazing fill factor.

I very much agree about lens shift,less noise and I will add a DI to the mix. How could JVC opt not to use a DI with a technology somewhat limited in contrast. With dlp it us not surprising that DynamicBlack is slow to catch on. The dlp contrast is high to begin with, not that it can not be improved though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiozik
Here it is the press release in english: http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...2005/d-ila.pdf

Regards.

Yiozik

I was just reading this English press, on the last part, JVC states that this new panel is using

"Optical stable inorganic alignement ..." and "vertical alignment"

Is this similar to Epson's C2Fine technology? (and Sony's Bi:NA?)

Epson claims that during off state, the vertical aligned liquid crystal will be very "black". So maybe this is why JVC is claiming 5000:1 contrast?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzungILin
Epson claims that during off state, the vertical aligned liquid crystal will be very "black". So maybe this is why JVC is claiming 5000:1 contrast?
I would say that's likely what the basis is for the claim.

Real-world proof will be terrific to see.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
TzungILin

D-ila has always been VA with inorganic alignment layer. I could be wrong but I do not think so. Lcd technology is now trying to bridge the gap to lcos in the form of sxrd and d-ila now that the latter technologies are threatening to go down in price. That is why Epson and Sony adopts VA and inorganic. This way they expect to hinder dlp world domination.

technical

With a very very low or no pre tilt angle the cr of d-ila can be very high. However a low angle causes other problems in controlling noise in the picture near the black state. JVC has been claiming greater than 5000:1 for a while. The cr is also dependent on the illumination.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.