AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I know all the risk of buying a used pj, no history, lack of warranty, etc, but I like taking risks, I hate buying anything new.

However, I did buy my current 720 pj, Acer PH530 new, when it was at that unbeatable price of like $530. It has been a great pj, but I think 1080p is finally becoming affordable.

My question is, if my risk went well, would I get more bang for my buck on a used 1080p that cost $3-4k a few years ago like HD80, or the one of the new or upcoming 1080p that are $1k new like the HD20.

My guess would be that older pjs are still going to have more features like lens shift than the new ones, but has there been any major technological advances on the new ones that make the olds one obsolete for a good reason, or are we just seeing cost reduction because the technology isn't cutting edge anymore?

What would be some recommendations for high end pjs that would now be going for around 1k on that big auction site?

What has proven to be reliable over the years, and what has failed?

Lets factor in bulb cost and availbility also

I know that the HD80 had some fan issues and auto shut off for example.

thanks for the feedback

Brian

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
It depends on what older projectors you can find for $1000. Personally I'd lean towards one of the new $999 projectors over an HD80. I think they are probably very comparable and brand new.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the HD80 had lens shift. It was pretty bare bones just like these new $999 units.

Now if you're talking about one of the higher end 1080P DLP's that had a longer zoom lens and vertical lens shift for about $1000, then I'd probably lean towards that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Even with considering the rebate deals which are always changing, the only one thats really going to be 1k or less is the optoma hd20 which will be out very soon. By then though there could be other options. Things happen fast. Vivitek is also coming out with a dlp 1080p for 999 maybe in a month or so.

But there are several right now that are pretty close to 1K. Check out the infocus dlp x10 dlp. the viewsonic pro 8100 has been on sale for 1300 from tigerdirect this week. The epson lcd ones have had some tempting deals a few months ago but since then the rebates have been too great for their 1080p models. Sanyo has a 1080 projector lcd thats on sale now for around 1300 I think at best buy.

So far the lcd ones have run a bit more expensive than the dlp options. But while some people prefer the dlp picture, in this price range especially lcd offers a lot more in terms of placement options with lens shift. Except the 1080p from mitsu which is surprisingly limited even though its an lcd.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's what I don't understand: why don't the DLP machines have lens shift? It seems like a lot more flexibility of placement comes with this feature and their market would open up to those people who have limitations on projector location.

Blato

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blato /forum/post/16941649

Here's what I don't understand: why don't the DLP machines have lens shift? It seems like a lot more flexibility of placement comes with this feature and their market would open up to those people who have limitations on projector location.

Blato

Better let the experts handle that one.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

Quote:

Blato

I'm not an expert, but...

It has to do with the light path of a reflective chip projector (DLP) compared to a pass-through chip projector light patch (LCD). It's much easier to have lens shift (and lots of it) on LCD's by design.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts

Quote:

Blato

The better ones do! It's only a matter of time until all PJs have lens shift, the LCDs have had it for awhile and people want it!

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/16956685

The better ones do! It's only a matter of time until all PJs have lens shift, the LCDs have had it for awhile and people want it!

Yes but the DLP's with lens shift aren't that adjustable...like the large adjustment range LCD's and LCOS's have.

I don't know of an DLP that has the adjustment range of an LCD.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
I would go new. You don't want to be stuck buying a used projector and then have to replace an expensive bulb within 6 months. IMHO, projectors are getting better, not worse, so a newer projector may actually offer a better image and features (along with a warranty and new bulb) for nearly the same price. Unless you can find a used projector on a screaming deal with a brand new bulb, I would go new.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why do you want a 1080p? There is not a huge difference between 1080p and 720p. Even in sidebyside blind comparisons many people can't identify the "superior" machine. So unless your machine is dying, I would wait.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion456 /forum/post/16971894

Why do you want a 1080p? There is not a huge difference between 1080p and 720p. Even in sidebyside blind comparisons many people can't identify the "superior" machine. So unless your machine is dying, I would wait.

If the OP is like me then he is sick of seeing screendoor. It's the biggest complaint I have with my projector.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion456 /forum/post/16971894

There is a huge difference especially if you use your rom as a computer and gaming machine. Lemme see 1024x720 or 1920x1080 hmmm

Gotta remember people have different uses and 720p on a computer screen 120" sucks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For 1000, I would go for a really high end model with 720P that will be packed with features (like a used Runco, Samsung,

Sim2, etc.). For that price, I dont think a used 1080P will give you that much more feature wise than a new 1080P. If you bumped the price up a bit to say 2000, than I think the used 1080P would make more sense.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 /forum/post/16972070

There is a huge difference especially if you use your rom as a computer and gaming machine. Lemme see 1024x720 or 1920x1080 hmmm

Gotta remember people have different uses and 720p on a computer screen 120" sucks.

I don't know about 1024, but I have seen 1280x720 sidebyside with 1920x1080 and from 10' away they are very similar. Yes the 1080 is better, but only in an incremental way that is subtle. If you show only one of the projectors at a time, then most people are unable to decide which is the superior one, because they both look amazingly good (assuming blu-ray type material).

Closer than 10', SD starts showing up, and then yes the 1080 is that much better. If you plan to stand 6' from the screen, I would go 1080, otherwise it isn't so clear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.