Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TI announced a new DLP chip, the HD-1

Quote:
The HD-1 features an array of 1,280 x 720 pixels, allowing it to deliver both native support for 720p as well as 16:9 aspect ratio, giving it true High Definition (HD) capability. The HD resolution of the new device offers improved sharpness for all picture formats and sources such as NTSC- and PAL-originated DVDs. Graphics applications - such as PC games - are also supported, thus providing home users a `best of all worlds' solution featuring both outstanding video and exceptional graphics performance.
for more see this

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Interesting. They say this chip is a version of the one already used in the RPTVs from Mitsubishi and Panasonic, but optimized for front projection. This snippet really caught my eye:
Quote:
The HD-1 also benefits from a new production process which has enabled the XV-Z9000U to achieve a contrast ratio of 1,100:1, enabling it to deliver markedly superior image quality.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

That ain't bad. Now, if they could just allay the nagging concern about the DMD mirrors failing as the chip ages...

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Has there actually been an MTBF figure posted officially somewhere by TI? All the information I have is anecdotal.

The rap was that the failure time was in the order of years, but that number of years was actually smaller than the age of my current RPTV (7 years old), so that was what worried me. Then I walked into a store and saw a DLP Panasonic with a stuck pixel, so that didn't help my opinion any...

If the MTBF (where "F" is defined as the failure of a SINGLE pixel) was in the 8-year range, and the replacement cost of the DMD was a few hundred bucks, I'd sign off on it.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
148 Posts
From the TI web site

We have projected a lifetime of more than 100,000 hours based

on actual test results and modeling data developed for the DMD.

The only life-limiting failure mechanism identified to date is

temperature-accelerated hinge memory.

• We have demonstrated more than 1.7 x 10 to the 12th mirror cycles with

no hinge fatigue failures. This correlates to 95,000 hours of

normal operation.

full paper here
http://www.dlp.com/dlp/resources/whi...pdf/ieeeir.pdf

------------------

Rudy
My Home Theater

[This message has been edited by RudyT (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Not bad! Thanks much for the white paper reference.

------------------

Mike Kobb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.