AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KYW news radio in Philadelphia was running a story yesterday about a company that is going to be selling 27 inch web enabled high definition television sets for $199 with a 3 year $20/month internet service commitment. Maybe this will help start to bring down the prices for HDTV. (Sorry, don't remember the name of the company or know when sales will start).

Of course I still firmly believe that cable must carry rules are the only long term solution that will save HDTV considering 82% of American households have cable or satellite and very few will mess around with antennas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is some info from ZDnet

http://www.zdnet.com/special/stories...672366,00.html

NadaPC 27" HDTV

NadaPC announced plans to sell a 27-inch, HDTV-ready TV for $199. There's a catch, of course. You must agree to sign up for 36 months of NadaPC's ISP service for $22 per month. That totals out to $991, but that still doesn't sound like a really bad price. NadaPC didn't have a sample TV to show so we can't vouch for the set's quality. However, they are promising it will be capable of displaying 480p and 1080i video as well as SVGA computer graphics. The set has a built-in Web browser so owners can access the Web without a PC. When NadaPC begins taking orders in April, it may be reminiscent of the Free PC frenzy not too long ago.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
$991 plus you need a separate HD STB (+/- $500) for a 27" screen, not much a deal for me. Make it 40" 16X9 and they are game.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds kinda misleading to me, especially since they say "no clunky set-top box needed". It is definitely a 4:3. We will see what becomes of this. This is a $299 TV the same way The Wiz advertises free stuff when you purchase a MSN package. I'm not sure how they get away with this stuff without it being false advertising.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
HDTV ite 16X9 Aspect ratio not 4x3. This thing is junk, a ripoff etc and cannot received OTA HDTV.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
This is backwards!

We should be concentrating on the RECEIVER not the MONITOR!

Just about any TV or computer monitor will (after a fashion) suffice to present HDTV provided you have a RECEIVER to pick up and decode the signal.

We need more receivers and at lower prices!

Where is Moore's law when we need it!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I remember reading a review last year about some company that took cheap computer monitors, put them in a larger plastic case with some buttons, connectors, and a controller and made them look like consumer TVs. They sold them as high-end TVs at cheap prices.

According to that review, the picture quality was poor.

Then again I could be wrong. The price just looks awful low.

------------------

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.