AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 1607 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelearth /forum/post/13630554

Looks good to me but id have to see it in person. ONe question tho, with the 120hz feature, is there any blurring?

There still is a little on SD analog due to the nature of the picture. There is a "little" here and there but you still hardly notice any even when you are looking for it.

Also, those pics I took were with the color temp set to cool. I since set it to "medium" and it looks worlds better now.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc /forum/post/13629913

You make of these what you will. In case you did not know, this is 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So it seems along with the green push we now have PURPLE PUSH. unfortunately toshiba has failed again...oh well...the search continues.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc /forum/post/13630635

Also, those pics I took were with the color temp set to cool. I since set it to "medium" and it looks worlds better now.

Could you do a few retakes if you don't mind now with the different setting?

·
Registered
427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 /forum/post/13631375

So it seems along with the green push we now have PURPLE PUSH. unfortunately toshiba has failed again...oh well...the search continues.

You seem to pass judgement very quickly that 'Toshiba has failed again', because of a supposed Purple Push that none of the XF550 owners seem to complain about or acknowledge. If you have children, or plan to have some in the future, hopefully none of them have/will have any 'issues'. As you know, children do not come with a 'return' policy.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEZO /forum/post/13633521

You seem to pass judgement very quickly that 'Toshiba has failed again', because of a supposed Purple Push that none of the XF550 owners seem to complain about or acknowledge. If you have children, or plan to have some in the future, hopefully none of them have/will have any 'issues'. As you know, children do not come with a 'return' policy.

dude, we're talking about tv's here, not about having children with issues for christ sake, lighten up.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 /forum/post/13633578

dude, we're talking about tv's here, not about having children with issues for christ sake, lighten up.

read jvc's post again..... he had color settings set to cool, says warm looks wolrlds better....

Quote:
"Also, those pics I took were with the color temp set to cool. I since set it to "medium" and it looks worlds better now."

I"m gonna wait to judge this tv once it's in the stores

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone done a lot of gaming on the XV540 series? I am seriously considering buying the 46XV540U and play a lot of games. Any motion blur? I have a Xbox 360, PC, and Nintendo Wii. Any experiences?

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VdoManZ /forum/post/13633628

read jvc's post again..... he had color settings set to cool, says warm looks wolrlds better....

I"m gonna wait to judge this tv once it's in the stores

sorry, but what i read and seen about the 2008 toshiba's they don't look to promising, IMO.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 /forum/post/13633666

sorry, but what i read and seen about the 2008 toshiba's they don't look to promising, IMO.

Really? I wonder how you came to that conclusion? I've read every post of every thread on this forum about the 2008 Toshiba LCDs and so far they've been universally praised and loved by their owners, with very few exceptions. No major issues, fantastic picture, excellent tweakability. Having read countless posts in Samsung, Sony and Sharp threads from owners complaining about ghosting, blurring, clouding, backlight issues, banding, random resets, poorly implemented 120 Hz features resulting in an unnatural "soap opera" effect and other problems (none of which seem to plague the new Toshibas), I've reached exactly the opposite conclusion. Even the dreaded "green monster" appears to have been fixed (or at least is so minor it can be easily calibrated out). I think they look VERY promising! The only one I've seen in person so far was the 46RV530U in a local store, but even uncalibrated, on an OTA cable feed, I thought it looked fantastic. Can't wait to see how good the 540 looks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been a long time lurker of this tread and also the 550 thread and am greatly thankful for your reviews on the Toshiba's sets.

My wife and I went to Video Only in SF (SF bay area).

They had the 42XV540 next to a 40XF550 and 40RV530.

They also had an 46XF550 next to the 46XBR4 (and a 46LX177 for cheap not far).

They were all on cable feed except the LX177, so I'll leave out the LX177 in my discussion even its PQ is really good.

PQ looks good on the XV540 and XF550 when viewing from center.

XV540 viewing angle is not as good as the XF550 or the RV530.

All the TV are not calibrated.

Clerk told me that

- the 40RV530 is a Sharp panel,

- the 42XV540 is a LG panel and

- the 40XF550 and 46XF550 are Samsung panels.

I asked him how he knows about that and with a "big smile" he pull what seems like a small cylindrical magnifier.

He put it against the panels so that we can see the disposition of the "cells" on the panel (those tiny color lines of red/green/blue).

I looked at the "cells" which are disposed as "chevrons".

Both 40 and 46 XF have the same cell structures as the XBR4 (thin fine "chevrons").

The 42XV's cell structure is different and is very similar (if not the same) as an LG showed not far (bulkier "chevrons").

I did not look for the RV since I was not very impressed by its PQ.

If this is some indication, I take it that 40 and 46 XF (not sure about the 52 since I did not see it on display) are Sammy panels and the 42XV is not using the same panel, most probably LG, but I did not know Toshiba get panels from LG.

As of now the 46XF550 is first on my list for my near future HDTV purchase.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb /forum/post/13633896

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcast01 /forum/post/0

Really? I wonder how you came to that conclusion? I've read every post of every thread on this forum about the 2008 Toshiba LCDs and so far they've been universally praised and loved by their owners, with very few exceptions. No major issues, fantastic picture, excellent tweakability. Having read countless posts in Samsung, Sony and Sharp threads from owners complaining about ghosting, blurring, clouding, backlight issues, banding, random resets, poorly implemented 120 Hz features resulting in an unnatural "soap opera" effect and other problems (none of which seem to plague the new Toshibas), I've reached exactly the opposite conclusion. Even the dreaded "green monster" appears to have been fixed (or at least is so minor it can be easily calibrated out). I think they look VERY promising! The only one I've seen in person so far was the 46RV530U in a local store, but even uncalibrated, on an OTA cable feed, I thought it looked fantastic. Can't wait to see how good the 540 looks.

I agree with "einsteinjb".

·
Banned
4,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexasflood /forum/post/13633635

Has anyone done a lot of gaming on the XV540 series? I am seriously considering buying the 46XV540U and play a lot of games. Any motion blur? I have a Xbox 360, PC, and Nintendo Wii. Any experiences?

Toshiba's new LCD panels are great for gaming. Just be sure you select the Gaming Mode when playing games so the response time will be fast.

-Robert

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer /forum/post/13635450

Toshiba's new LCD panels are great for gaming. Just be sure you select the Gaming Mode when playing games so the response time will be fast.

-Robert

I've got a question for you. Why would you disable gaming mode? Isn't a fast response time something that any video source could make good use of? Even if it doesn't, why not just leave it on all the time?

·
Registered
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGGz /forum/post/13635560

I've got a question for you. Why would you disable gaming mode? Isn't a fast response time something that any video source could make good use of? Even if it doesn't, why not just leave it on all the time?

Enabling gaming mode usually disables image processing.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmoine /forum/post/13634069

I've been a long time lurker of this tread and also the 550 thread and am greatly thankful for your reviews on the Toshiba's sets.

My wife and I went to Video Only in SF (SF bay area).

They had the 42XV540 next to a 40XF550 and 40RV530.

They also had an 46XF550 next to the 46XBR4 (and a 46LX177 for cheap not far).

They were all on cable feed except the LX177, so I'll leave out the LX177 in my discussion even its PQ is really good.

PQ looks good on the XV540 and XF550 when viewing from center.

XV540 viewing angle is not as good as the XF550 or the RV530.

All the TV are not calibrated.

Clerk told me that

- the 40RV530 is a Sharp panel,

- the 42XV540 is a LG panel and

- the 40XF550 and 46XF550 are Samsung panels.

I asked him how he knows about that and with a "big smile" he pull what seems like a small cylindrical magnifier.

He put it against the panels so that we can see the disposition of the "cells" on the panel (those tiny color lines of red/green/blue).

I looked at the "cells" which are disposed as "chevrons".

Both 40 and 46 XF have the same cell structures as the XBR4 (thin fine "chevrons").

The 42XV's cell structure is different and is very similar (if not the same) as an LG showed not far (bulkier "chevrons").

I did not look for the RV since I was not very impressed by its PQ.

If this is some indication, I take it that 40 and 46 XF (not sure about the 52 since I did not see it on display) are Sammy panels and the 42XV is not using the same panel, most probably LG, but I did not know Toshiba get panels from LG.

As of now the 46XF550 is first on my list for my near future HDTV purchase.

Wow! It is great idea on how to find panel manufacture!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the response DTV tivo dealer. What is the response time? 8ms?

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do LG panels typically compare with Sharp and Samsung, besides exmoine noticing the viewing angles aren't quite as good?

361 - 380 of 1607 Posts