AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be a new 36" or 40" XBR model like the 910? Anyone have any information about that? Or will there be a 36" or larger Direct view 16:9 tv. For my viewing distance and other items, something inbetween 36" to 40" widescreen gives me the optimum. Unfortunately, I don't like Plasma, LCD, DLP, or RPTV yet. Just doesn't seem as crisp as a tube.

Thanks..

Russ

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I've yet to hear a peep out of Sony in regards to upgrading the 36 & 40XBR's. Nothing from the CES Show or Sony websites, etc. so who knows?

On my 40XBR, I get approx. 37" diagonal screen in 16:9. To get a larger 16:9 in a CRT direct view, you'll have to fork out mucho dinero for the 38" Widescreen 16:9 Loewe Aconda.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Loewe is a curved tube if that makes a difference to you. I think mucho dinero tranlates into ~ $4000 to $5000, which is 42" plasma type money. When my 34" widescreen direct view (34xbr800) croaks or gets too small, plasma will be next. Have you looked at the better plasmas like Panny, Pioneer, Fujitsu, & NEC? Newer models are more resembling TVs with good electronics and adequate jacks including a HDCP compatible DVI port. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I agree, if you're going to get into the $4000-5000 range, I'd definitely advise you checking into Plasma's...especially the 42" Panny 5UY. Harkness has compared his Panny 42" Plasma to the Loewe Aconda in this forum that you would find a good read. Other than price, what are your reasons for not liking Plasmas?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
russwong, on the Sony website there's a special on the KV-36FV300 for $1299.00. You may be able to get this TV even less at other AV discount stores.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I'm not looking at Plasma, is because I just like the clarity and the crispness I see from CRT. My friend has the Samsun DLP and it's nice, but just doesn't seem as vivid. I get this feeling from most of the Plasmas I see. I'm sure there is some tweaking and all, but it just doesn't seem to give as clean a picture as tubes.

I also like the ability to see the screen from all angles. The room I have isn't huge... probably 11' by 20' wide. So people are spread all over the floor to watch TV and the Wega makes it possible.

Maybe in a couple years, Plasma or LCoS will be at such a level that it wont matter.... but for now, I've been extremeley happy with my 36XBR210 (or 200), but it's almost 4 years old and it doesn't do HD.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ok, no Plasma for now. I too am waiting to see how the Plasma's evolve over the next few years, and hoping for 3 things to happen: (1) Superb PQ w/the 3D lifelike looking thru the glass reality video (2) 60" and up screens (3) prices most folks can afford. A guy can dream, can't he?..heh, heh...

There's been some price drops on the 40XBR w/free stand. Could be a good time to snap up one these excellent 40"ers!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.