AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Panasonic 3D P65VT25 Plasma along with the bundled Panasonic DMP-BDT100P 3D Blu-Ray player. I have a Velodyne Minivee subwoofer, a decent but generic center speaker, and 4 in-ceiling speakers (not sure of brand, but they sound pretty good to me). I have a Directv DV-21 DVR and a Windows Media Center PC attached via HDMI. . Everything is running through my 6 year old Denon 4306 receiver. I also have 2 outdoor speakers, 2 dining room speakers, and 2 bedroom speakers running off of Zone 2. I have spousal limitations on upgrading the speakers.

All is working well currently, with the exception being the Denon doesn't support 3D video or TrueHD and DTS-HD lossless audio . I have the following questions:
  • Will there be any noticeable difference in sound quality between TrueHD / DTS-HD vs. the PCM streams I get now, given my current speaker setup? This is primarily in reference to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs that I play on my Media Center PC (the PC has a 5xxx series AMD video card that allows bitstreaming).
  • I believe I have 2 options for 3D; replace my Denon 4306 or replace my Blu-Ray player with one that has dual outputs (send video directly to TV and audio through the Denon). Assuming I am willing to spend the money to replace the receiver, what would be a good replacement that would provide 3D and lossless audio without breaking the bank (roughly a $1000 limit) or sounding worse than my current Denon?

What would you do if this were your setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19547641

1. Your AVR does support HD audio ... via PCM over HDMI, and no, there will be no noticable difference.

2. Much cheaper to replace the BDP with the dual HDMI Panny.

Thanks for the reply! I found a cheaper workaround for the Blu-Ray 3D issue (run HDMI from Blu-Ray to TV and optical cable to receiver for sound...close enough). However, I'm still out of luck with regards to 3D from my Directv box. I've pretty much decided to buy a new receiver, now I'm just trying to figure out which one. So much has changed in 6 years, too many good options now! My natural instinct was to go for the Denon 4311ci, but the issues outlined in the forums here scared me off of that one. I also think that may be overkill for my setup, looks like there may be good alternatives in the sub $1000 range. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts
You could use the same configuration with your sat box, HDMI directly to the TV with optical to the AVR. Get a Harmony remote for easier switching of inputs on the TV and AVR.

For an under $1000 budget, the 3311 would be your next best Denon choice which would include a somewhat more advanced version of the Audyssey MultEQ XT in your 4306.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19549488

You could use the same configuration with your sat box, HDMI directly to the TV with optical to the AVR.

And the sat box's sound will max out with optical anyway.

·
Premium Member
93,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopTTU /forum/post/20067941

So essentially, this will give me a 9.1 feeling with the front height. It's pitty the 4306 doesn't do this. I love the 4306.

So is the recommendation here to move to a 3311 rather than a 4411?

No, the 3311 is a 7.2 AVR .. you can have "either" front height or surround back but not both, while the 4311 is a 9.2 AVR so you can have both front height and surround back as well as add 2 more speakers with an external amp for 11.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopTTU /forum/post/20067948

To add to this, the ALM+ is only applicable for the front channels only on the 3311 and all channels on the 4311, do I have that right?

Yes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.