AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying either a Panasonic TC-P50VT25 or a Samsung PN50C8000. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic, but feel free to commit on either.

My questions is I have a older receiver with HDMI 1.3 pass through, which I believe wont be able to pass through the 3D encoded signal, so I guess I will have to plug my PS3 directly into the TV. I do not want to buy a new receiver so I am trying to figure out how I can get the audio to receiver and still get the 3D video signal to the TV. Would I be able to plug my PS3 into the TV and then use the TV's digital audio output or the return audio channel to send the audio to my receiver? I will also have a DirecTV box hooked up as well that I will need to get the audio to the receiver some how.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/19652247

Generally... PS3 HDMI to display, Optical to reciever / audio system

I was also thinking about doing that, but as I mentioned I also have a DirecTV box that has 3D channels that I need to get audio to the receiver with as well. Any solution for that? Do they make HDMI 1.4 spillters that I can just split the HDMI connection to both the TV and receiver?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Often the return audio channel will only pass along 2 channel PCM unless the source is the TV's tuner.

Can your receiver not take more than one optical? Unfortunately optical is the only real option. If you have to you can get a remote controlled optical switch...

·
Registered
7,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 /forum/post/19652517

I was also thinking about doing that, but as I mentioned I also have a DirecTV box that has 3D channels that I need to get audio to the receiver with as well. Any solution for that? Do they make HDMI 1.4 spillters that I can just split the HDMI connection to both the TV and receiver?

Directv HD receivers and DVRs also have a optical digital audio (i.e., Toslink) output, so you can use the same setup as for the PS3. That is, HDMI to one of the 3DTV HDMI inputs for the video and the audio (optical - Toslink) connected to the AVR. You just need to confirm how many HDMI inputs the specific 3DTV you are considering has that can accept 3D video inputs.

·
Banned
829 Posts
Ya like everyone else said optical from directv and optical from PS3. I have my PS3 hooked that way right now, HDMI to TV and Optical to a sound bar. Remember though you have to change the PS3 sound options. Because it will run sound through HDMI and HDMI only. So you have to go to options and allow multiple audio out for the optical to work. I don't THINK you can turn off just the HDMI audio but you might be able to. Otherwise just mute your TV which is what I do in my setup, unless you want the TV speakers.

·
Banned
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/19659711

Directv HD receivers and DVRs also have a optical digital audio (i.e., Toslink) output, so you can use the same setup as for the PS3. That is, HDMI to one of the 3DTV HDMI inputs for the video and the audio (optical - Toslink) connected to the AVR. You just need to confirm how many HDMI inputs the specific 3DTV you are considering has that can accept 3D video inputs.

Aren't all HDMI inputs on TV's now 1.4 spec? Not really sure why they would use any 1.3 as 1.4 is fully backwards compatible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhereicome /forum/post/19660661

Aren't all HDMI inputs on TV's now 1.4 spec? Not really sure why they would use any 1.3 as 1.4 is fully backwards compatible.

I'm planning on getting the Panasonic VT 50". I would hope all 4 input support 3D. Can someone please confirm this as I would need at least two, one for the PS3 and one for the DirecTV box.

·
Banned
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 /forum/post/19660772

I'm planning on getting the Panasonic VT 50". I would hope all 4 input support 3D. Can someone please confirm this as I would need at least two, one for the PS3 and one for the DirecTV box.

Checked Panasonic's website and nothing is listed. I will assume they're 1.4, having a 3D TV would be useless without 1.4 HDMI ports. The only one I can assume that wouldn't is maybe the side port.

edit:: nope i lied it's right here "HDMI Input-Support Feature Audio Return Channel (Input 1) / 3D Input (All)"

says 3D input all, so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy a bluray player with dual HDMI outs (need to send audio over HDMI to get true losses audio). I have the 7000 and I picked up the Panny BT 350 to go with my slightly older Denon Amp (missed HDMI 1.4 by one year).

Great Setup (I know prob not the answer you wanted as you already have a PS3).

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 3D tv and 3D blu-ray player but an older Yamaha RX-V863 reciever. I currently have the receiver set up to run 7.1 surround sound but it cant decode Dolby true HD when the DVD player is set to 3D. I have been using an optical input to the receiver and watching 3D in 5.1, but I was wondering if there are any converters out there that would take the HDMI 3D signal and convert it to a signal that my reciever can use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I guess i just got caught up in HDMI and didn't even think to resort to analog. I visited 2 mainstream retail electronic stores with this problem before I posted on this site. At both stores I was told I needed to upgrade my receiver to one that is 3D compatible to solve this issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriveau23 /forum/post/0

Thanks, I guess i just got caught up in HDMI and didn't even think to resort to analog. I visited 2 mainstream retail electronic stores with this problem before I posted on this site. At both stores I was told I needed to upgrade my receiver to one that is 3D compatible to solve this issue. Thanks again.

I'm currently using this set up (samsung c6900). The only disadvantage is you lose the bass management capabilities of your AVR. I'm not terribly happy with this set up. I like more deep bass, so it might be just fine to your ears. It doesn't sound bad by any means. I'm looking to get the Oppo 93 with dual HDMI outs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts