AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did what i said I wouldn't, picked up a 3DTV, from a deal on a Sony HX800 that I'm positive no one would pass on. But now what? I own a PS3 and will probably be grabbing a couple pairs of 3D glasses, my receiver on the other hand is about decade old.

I'm looking to spend no more than $800 on a receiver, half that if I can get away with it... Do I NEED a 3D capable receiver, and/or one capable of HDMI 1.4? Is my PS3 going to do what I need it do do?

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a PS3 firmware upgrade ever allow it to pass the HD Audio or is that more or a hardware issue?

I don't see myself getting a new BDP any time soon... My speakers are all Cerwin Vega 2 x E-712 (300W), 2 x E-708 (150W), 2 x VE-5C (150W one front one back) which I'm sure are nothing special as far as speakers go but I don't see myself getting new speakers either.

Does this mean I probably don't need a new receiver? I was actually looking for a reason to upgrade... I was looking at the Denon 1910 in the past but never went through with it.

Knowing the speakers I have if I were to get a 3D BDP in the future does that narrow down my choices for a receiver?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
If you don't mind connecting the PS3 to the TV directly via HDMI along with an optical cable from the PS3 to your current AVR on the occasion that you play 3D BD's then you can keep your existing AVR with no loss in audio quality.

As you're already familiar with the Denon 1910, then consider the 1911 (HDMI 1.4 3D) which is available from Electronics Expo (call them for their best price though as they list MSRP) for 1/2 your budget if you really want to upgrade. You could then connect the HDMI from the PS3 to the 1911 and be good to go for 3D or 2D BD's as well as 3D cable/sat broadcasts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. That's how I have my setup now. Optical cable from ps3 to receiver, hdmi from ps3 to tv. No problem leaving that the way it is.

Without getting too in depth, would it benefit me to step up to the 2311 or is the 1911 just fine for what I'll be using it for?

One more thing. I was looking at the back of the 1911 as well as the 2311. My current receiver has a couple separate speaker outputs for B speakers that I use for some outdoor speakers. If I get a new receiver I could always just use the old recxeiver to power these but are they doing away with the extra speaker outs?

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/19622062

Does jdsmoothie work for Denon..

He never recommends Onkyo, Yamaha or HK..

Just my $0.02...

Nope .. not a professional like yourself in the biz, rather just a consumer with no direct experience with the other brands and therefore can not recommend them.

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeep6262 /forum/post/19622149

Without getting too in depth, would it benefit me to step up to the 2311 or is the 1911 just fine for what I'll be using it for?

One more thing. I was looking at the back of the 1911 as well as the 2311. My current receiver has a couple separate speaker outputs for B speakers that I use for some outdoor speakers. If I get a new receiver I could always just use the old recxeiver to power these but are they doing away with the extra speaker outs?

The 1911 will work for you ... the 2311 has a few upgrades, although you'll have to decide if it's worth the increase in $$$. See my PM for details.

Yes, Denon has gone away from the separate Front B speaker posts and now uses the Surr Back/Amp Assign posts for Front B when that configuration is desired.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.