Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

After being a veteran of Tivo units and extracting from them, I just purchased a brand-new 4040 unit from another individual, and I have some concerns about the software versions between the 40x0 series and the 45xx series.

Am I to correctly understand that the 40x0 series units will soon be taking this new v4.3 code when they connect to the mothership, thereby encrypting and eliminating the ability to do video extraction to a PC using all of the currently available methods, such as SwapDV, etc.?

I was under the impression (which I hope remains correct) that the 40x0 series would retain full functionality, and that this new encryption scheme and other restrictions would be limited to the newly-released 45xx series. Am I wrong? Has anyone with a 40x0 series unit had it take the 4.3 software and now are unable to extract?

I would REALLY appreciate some clarification on this issue, if any valid information exists at this point.

Many Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Replay has never said "4000 units will get a software upgrade which breaks SwapDV".

They HAVE said that 4000s will get the 4500 software, and that 4000s and 4500s will be able to interroperate for local LAN streaming.

That could be accomplished just as easily (or more so, fewer units to modify!) by fixing 4500s to use the current 4000 protocol as vice versa.

None of us here (who can talk about it at least) have any magical way of knowing for sure what they're going to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.