AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Replay 4080 arrived today. I can't get it to connect to the Internet.

It goes to the "Checking for network information..." screen, immediately gets "Connection Completed."

Then it waits a long, long, long, long time, and comes back with "Replay service is currently unavailable. Please try again later or call Customer Care."

It's getting an IP number from my router. I can ping that number successfully. My Internet connection is working fine too.

I'm not a moron. I used to install networks.

What's the next step? Can anyone suggest anything?

Is there a way to restore this thing to it's factory defaults?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kohath
My new Replay 4080 arrived today. I can't get it to connect to the Internet.

What's the next step? Can anyone suggest anything?
(I'm speaking out of turn because I don't have a 4k).

First step is to connect it directly to the Internet. At least that will tell you if the 4080 is configured correctly.

If that works, connect it back to the router and, if you can, put it in the DMZ.

If that works then perhaps there is a port on the router that is not open.

=Dave=

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that first. The behavior is the same.

(I bought the router a couple of hours ago on the advice of the Replay tech-support guy. He suggested that the 4080 wasn't getting good info from my ISP's DHCP server, and the router should fix that. Good advice, and the router works well, but that apparently wasn't the problem.)

Thanks though. I really want to get this thing to work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You could try assigning an IP address to the 4080. You'd have to then enter that into the 4080's config.

Try to ping the 4080. It should answer that.

=Dave=

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try that.

What IP and port number does the Replay 4000 connect to in order to retrieve the channel information?

I should try to connect to those from my PC so I can verify that they're accessable from my connection.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
64.124.80.10 or 64.124.73.105, port 80. it needs dns lookups for 'production.replaytv.net' (or 'rns.replaytv.net' if the machine hasn't had an update done in the past month or so) to work, too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kohath
I'll try that.

What IP and port number does the Replay 4000 connect to in order to retrieve the channel information?

I should try to connect to those from my PC so I can verify that they're accessable from my connection.
The IP address is one you use within your router. You access your router and add an IP like 192.168.1.101 and then enter that IP into the 4080. The 4080 will know the IP address or URL that it needs to call home.

The ports that should be open are 53 (DNS), 123 (NTP), 80 (HTTP).

The only other thing I can think of is whether you must specify to your router what devices can access the Internet. Some routers will block access by default.

=Dave=

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'm able to connect to the replay hosts just fine with my PC, but apparently not with my Replay box.

Since the Replay web pages are authenticated, it would make sense to guess that my 4080 is failing in the authentication step.

What's the username and password that it uses on these pages?

One thing I noticed is that, on my 411-Zones screen, it says "PCB serial number is missing". If the PCB serial number is used in the authentication step, it would explain the problem.

Does everyone's 4000-series say "PCB serial number is missing" or is it just mine?

---

More and more, this seems less like a "network" problem, and more like a "defective unit" problem. The networking is too simple to fail.

I'll try it on someone else's network before I give up, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It's really unlikely it's failing authentication -- the same username & password is always used, and it's hardcoded. It's much more likely a network configuration problem.

They seem to all say the PCB sn is missing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yesterday (Tuesday) I received my showstopper back from Panasonic repair and had to reconfigure it for local numbers, etc. I tried about 10 times last night to connect in and each time it failed. It would connect and do a number of initial steps and then it would stop and say it was having network problems. I think your problem may be the same.... I think this is a back-end problem that will hopefully be fixed today. If not, I'd be really grateful for how to fix this...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
When I got my first replay 4k I had a major problem setting it up. Same error you're getting. I eventually set it to DMZ, did a hard reboot, and then did something else to the actual machine that I can't remember that suddenly made it work.

OH, yeah. I know what it was.

I gave it a static IP address. Until I did that, it wouldn't connect. Once I did that, it connected and i switched it back to dynamic.

Curiously this was only on my replay from Amazon, not from Sonicblue. I assume Sonicblue ships their units with the most updated patches whereas Amazon just sends what they have.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been have connection in general for the past week. It sometimes takes several attempts to connect.

I've gotten at least 4 "couldn't connect..." messages in the last week."

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I've got my replay 4000 connected through my linkys router (along with 4 other pcs and an audiotron) and I've never had any trouble connecting. I have not put the replay into the dmz and I have not forwarded any ports on the router. I have, however, disabled dhcp on my router and assigned static IPs to all my lan devices, including my replay 4000. And for what it's worth, my external IP assigned by my ISP is a static one.

So, if you haven't already done this, I would suggest that you try killing dhcp on your router and configuring the 4000 with a static IP in the form 192.168.1.xxx that is different from the IP you assign to your other LAN devices. (And make sure that you kill dhcp on your replay as well.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last week I received a new "replacement" 4320 for a defective one. The new box had similar problems to the ones you describe (it connected to the internet, contacted the server, set clock, then gave some kind of error during the "Downloading OS update" phase). The terminology may be off... it's been a week since I went through this. I called tech support, and they tried to blame my router/network (not likely, I had not changed anything since I unplugged the old defective 4320). After MUCH fuss and having me reconfigure many settings on my router that did not need reconfiguring, they admitted that there was a problem on their server. I had the same experience when I hooked up one of my other 4320s. I think their server is pretty unreliable, and they refuse to admit it (or monitor its health). BTW, a couple of days after I accused them of having server problems, my connection problem mysteriously vanished, with no changes made on my part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I got home from work, I tried it. It connected fine, even though I didn't make any changes since last night.

Thanks for the help everyone. I suspect the problem was with the Replay TV servers.

Things are good now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my 4160... I also have a LinkSys cable modem 4-port router/switch. I spent like four hours trying to get it connected to the Internet. I finally did a search here and found a thread that suggested that I (temporarily) disable DHCP and assign an IP address to the ReplayTV box manually. I did that and it worked immediately. (Afterwards, you can turn DHCP back on again.) I'll pass along the same suggestion to you. There's either a problem with the ReplayTV implementation of DHCP or it just doesn't like the LinkSys DHCP for some reason. I hope SonicBlue fixes the problem at some point. Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the info, that's exactly my setup as well. Cable modem to Linksys 4-port router/swith, with an uplink to another switch with my wireless device hanging off that (Apple Airport, it was the only one available at the time for under $300 and works just fine.) So looks like you just saved me several hours. I'll let you know next week, mine's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I wonder why you'd have to turn DHCP off even if you assign an IP to the 4000...?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by themarshall
Thanks for the info, that's exactly my setup as well. [...] So looks like you just saved me several hours. I'll let you know next week, mine's scheduled for delivery on Monday.
Glad I could help. You should definitely try DHCP first. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work, and don't hesitate to fall back to assigning the IP address manually. I have seen reports of people who don't have any problems with DHCP. (My hunch is that it might depend on either the ReplayTV software version or the Linksys firmware version, but I haven't investigated either.)

Quote:
I wonder why you'd have to turn DHCP off even if you assign an IP to the 4000...?
Well, maybe you don't have to. That's just what I remember doing. I think the ReplayTV might try DHCP first no matter what.

Here are some old threads you might want to refer to:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=125851

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=122750

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.