AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Genii, a new entrant to the local Taiwan LCD TV market, recently launched 1080i 32-inch and 1080p 37-inch LCD TV models, and the company expects to ship 1080p 42- and 47-inch LCD TV by the end of this year, according to Genii founder, Hong Min-Tai (transliterated from Chinese).

Genii’s current line of 1080i 32-inch and 1080p 37-inch LCD TVs are priced at NT$ 69,999 (US$2,200) and NT$109,000 (US$3,426), respectively. According to the company, it was the first to launch a 37-inch (Genii 6037) 1080p LCD TV in the Taiwan market.

Designed with a resolution of 1920×1080, the 37-inch LCD TV has a contrast ratio of 800:1 a brightness of 550cd/m2 and a 176-degree viewing angle. The LCD TV panels come from Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), the company noted.

Genii is cooperating with Proton Electronics Industrial on production, the company stated.

Note this link is good for non-subscribers for just a few days:
http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20050805A7047.html

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Chi Mei is also the panel supplier to Westinghouse. I'm sure you'll see those 42s and 47s from Westinghouse before pretty much anyone else, fwiw.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The significance of this announcement cannot be overstated as these 42 and 47 inch displays are clearly in plasma territory, but with the distinction of having the full HDTV 1920*1080 native resolution.

Certainly a shot across the bow!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
What's a 1080i panel vs 1080p panel wrt number of pixels?

larry
Typically "1080p panel" refers to a display that both has a 1920x1080 resolution and can accept a 1080p signal. In contrast "1080i panel" just refers to a panel that can accept a 1080i signal (which is basically every single 16x9 plasma and LCD display on the market today) - the pixel resolution could be anything.

·
23,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
Typically "1080p panel" refers to a display that both has a 1920x1080 resolution and can accept a 1080p signal. In contrast "1080i panel" just refers to a panel that can accept a 1080i signal (which is basically every single 16x9 plasma and LCD display on the market today) - the pixel resolution could be anything.
Oh, ok, thanks. That's what I assumed but wasn't sure. And, of course, they'll accept all other standard resolutions (except maybe 720p like some other panels).

larry

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate
The significance of this announcement cannot be overstated as these 42 and 47 inch displays are clearly in plasma territory, but with the distinction of having the full HDTV 1920*1080 native resolution.

Well, let me respectfully disagree.

These were announced last year and nothing is shipping from Chi Mei.

The 45 Sharp and 46 Samsung both shipped, 1920 x 1080, and both were / are expensive relative to plasmas. That'll be true for a while.

If / when Westinghouse ships a 42 for $2500-3000, that will be significant, but we're remiss if we compare a Westinghouse LCD to a Panasonic plasma. A fairer comparison is to a Visio plasma (or equivalent).

I expect 1024 x 768 plasma to be routinely available for

·
23,003 Posts
Quote:

Yes, size-wise and price-wise, but what about performance? eg. response time, black level, etc.

larry

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
Well, let me respectfully disagree.

These were announced last year and nothing is shipping from Chi Mei.

The 45 Sharp and 46 Samsung both shipped, 1920 x 1080, and both were / are expensive relative to plasmas. That'll be true for a while.

If / when Westinghouse ships a 42 for $2500-3000, that will be significant, but we're remiss if we compare a Westinghouse LCD to a Panasonic plasma. A fairer comparison is to a Visio plasma (or equivalent).
I actually agree with you. The Chinese competition is forcing the Japanese to wake up. I mention 1080p every chance it get. Then by this time next year we should have HDMI input chips and internal scalers that can handle true 1080p.

If it weren't for the Chinese/Taiwanese, the Japanese based products would take ten years to move to 1920*[email protected]

I am quite aware that most of these new inexpensive products have shortcomings. That is not the the point, as the quality will naturally get better. Right now the three priorities are bringing down the display prices, increasing the panel size and resolution. BTW, these goals are being met!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
I actually agree with you.
Well then I am going to let this all stand to commemorate this historic event! :) :) :)

And, yes, I am being quite serious when I say that.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The people who use their LCDs as HTPCs are a niche market, neverthess, it is a growing segment of the market. Before this company all we had were samsung and sharp making their LCDs that weren't immediately compatible with DVI PC input. I bought the 37 inch 1080p as my PC monitor, and as soon as the 42/47 inch debut, that will also be perfect for me as well. Plasmas just don't work well as HTPC monitors and other japanese companies are not serving the HTPC market like this company.

Give the chinese another decade and they will be a major player in the electronics market. Just look at Korea's Samsung, years ago they were a joke, now they are a respected leader in the field. I'm willing to bet we'll hear good things from this company down the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.