AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Looking for some buying advice here on a 42" TV. My budget is around $800 and I have been doing quite a bit of research.

I'm looking for a TV that will produce good blacks, and minimal motion blur. 1080p is a must, and it will be used primarily for Blu-Ray and HD cable through Time Warner with the occasional Xbox 360 playing.

I thought I was settled on the S1 but recently found the S2s are becoming available now and read that the S1 line had issues with black levels over time. I also saw some of the more recent 120/240hz LCDs which caught my eye.

Any suggestions? Pros/Cons of choosing the S2 over the S1? Is LCD good enough on blacks/motion now? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 /forum/post/18234540

with your wants, and budget, I'd go with the S2.

Is the S2 an overall improvement over the S1? I haven't seen any reviews yet. I know the S1 could produce similar results as a G10 through some service menu tweaks. Does the same old true for the S2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongo /forum/post/18234540

you can get a 42g10 for under 800 at 6th ave electronics

Is there any reason to consider a G10 over a S2? Quality/features?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 /forum/post/18235339

Is the S2 an overall improvement over the S1? I haven't seen any reviews yet. I know the S1 could produce similar results as a G10 through some service menu tweaks. Does the same old true for the S2?

Is there any reason to consider a G10 over a S2? Quality/features?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

From what I've gathered on these forums is that the rising black level issue is more prevalent on the G and V series Panny Plasmas. On the Panny S1 series, the black level issue seems to be concentrated on the larger models, like 58 to 65S1s, if that even.

CD

·
Registered
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifus /forum/post/18236242

From what I've gathered on these forums is that the rising black level issue is more prevalent on the G and V series Panny Plasmas. On the Panny S1 series, the black level issue seems to be concentrated on the larger models, like 58 to 65S1s, if that even.

CD

So So wrong!!!! 200% wrong!!!

All sets have the rise to some extent, C-V10 series. Larger models are LESS prone to this problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So which would you choose? A 42S2 or a 42G10? I was hoping to spring for a 42G25, but it's a bit north of what I wanted to spend.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram /forum/post/18238674

So which would you choose? A 42S2 or a 42G10? I was hoping to spring for a 42G25, but it's a bit north of what I wanted to spend.

I own the 42S1 and I love it. The 42S2 improves on the S1 and has a higher black level. The panel is also brighter on the S2 compared to the S1. Panasonic also offers the 42G10 which adds a PC input, VIERA Cast and THX certification. The 42G25 is also coming out in the next couple weeks. But you wont be able to find this model everywhere. If I had to choose I would take the G series over the S series due to the set having THX certification which is basically a factory calibrated picture mode. Don't waste your money on and LCD/LED-LCD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qphillips06 /forum/post/18238749

The 42S2 improves on the S1 and has a higher black level. The panel is also brighter on the S2 compared to the S1.

Is this documented in a real world review somewhere, or are you just guessing based on the specs? I know the specs are an overall improvement over the S1, but I'd like to hear or see some real world evidence before I pull the trigger.

Weirdly, the S2s are selling for less than the S1s. This would lead me to believe that there is something causing the demand for S2 to be low, while the demand for S1 is still high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts