AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe there are some good Panasonic people here. Has anyone got the specs for this new unit coming out? My understanding is it is due out in August & will be aggressively priced. Well below where the similar screen Pioneer has out & the one NEC is releasing this month.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is preliminary info:

PANEL:

Pixels: 1024 x 768

Contrast ratio*: 3000:1

Peak Brightness*: 545 cd/m2

New front glass filter improved Red reproduction

ELECTRONICS:

3:2 Pulldown

Dual scan drive

Improved 3D I/P processor

"Real gamma system" resulting in twice the number of light gradations (in Cinema mode only)

Available DVI terminal board (will display at 1024x768 native rate)

*At panel (not set)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Oh the questions: Will the DVI board support HDCP? Will the mean-time-to-half-brigthness spec be upgraded? Will the VGA bug be fixed? If not, will there be an active DVI and component combo possible? Will this thing have a street price of below $6K when it ships? Will Cineramax like it? :)

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I personally find Cine quite entertaining. I do not find Joshy entertaining.

Mon dieu!

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know if and when these plasma's will be available in the UK?

I'm about go out and buy the 42-THPW4B and will be upset if the new model comes out 2 months later.

Thanks

Reaps

·
Registered
65 Posts
No news on the Panasonic XGA42" but the Pioneer 43" is in the shops already and the NEC42MP4 is listed on this UK website. Panasonic had better pull their fingers out or they will be left behind :(

Matt.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think the point is, Pio 43" was announced a few months ago and appeared in the stores within a matter of weeks and if the website link from kamakiriad is anything to go by then the announcement of MP4 and availability is also a matter of weeks. Thus, IMO it would be prudent to hold off as the new panny has only just been announced and should be in stores in a similar ammount of time to that of the others.

Someone else has said panny were late before but the UK got the latest 50" with DVI slot before the US (US doesn't even have ot yet) so now that we know about it, surely it is wise to wait a little.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has the new Panny actually been officially announced? If so can someone post a relevant link.

I've done some searching but as yet have found nothing.

I may try contacting Panasonic direct to see if I can fool some info out of them.

Reaps

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
First of all, the Pioneer was demoed back in January and took months to appear. The "no media box" version took even longer. Second of all, the media box version -- at least -- is not so great.

Second of all, who the heck knows when a NEC will ship. They are almost never at trade shows or retail. The new displays eventually just show up. I have no indication the new NEC 42" is imminent, based on distributor info.

Third of all, Panasonic needs to remove it's what from it's where? The "inferior resolution" existing 42" is still gorgeous whenever I see it. They have now slashed the price. It is easy to find for

·
Registered
26 Posts
Damn good Q's Rogo,

From the spec's above, the contrast ratio of the new Panny is the same as the existing Panny - Doesn't this mean that the black levels will be the same?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Kept in the dark!

Hello all

Even us lowly UK dealers are being kept in the dark on new product releases.

Reading between the lines I believe we will see two new 42" panels later this year - a standard resolution (SD) model and a high definition (HD) model and I expect the SD display will be very similar to today's D4 spec with a few tweaks and a similar price.

I guess the HD model will be demanding a price premium - similar, I suspect, to the c£5k the NEW Pioneer PDP-433MXE costs.

I don't believe the HD model will vary very much from the current D4 input configuration - though watch out for the possibility of fans reappearing on this display; though possibly like Pioneer MXE displays they may not be on all of the time.

As soon as we get confirmed specs and info I will post what I have.

Best regards

Joe

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Ouch,

That's the Panny I was attempting to wait for, but after a year of research and no word from Panasonic on new models, I just couldn't wait anymore. I LOVE my 4UY fer sure, but it will smart a bit if, not long after my 4UY finally gets installed, the HD model becomes available. Ah well, life on the edge of technology...

I'm curious. Is it de facto that Panasonic will use the rectangular pixels to get HD resolution into a 42" screen (a la Pioneer?), and which I understand can cause *some* problems for computer use? Or, is there another solution to increased pixel density that Panasonic might have up it's sleeve?

Any guesses?

Rich H

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Suffice it to say, it looks like it is worth waiting.

Re the rectangular pixels. The XGA rez of 1024X768 is corresponds to 4:3 if square pixels are used so they must have to use rectangular pixels to fit the 16:9 form.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Reaps: There is no reason why the black levels will be the same just because they quote the same spec. There is also no reason they won't be. I'd love to see the same rich blacks and stellar overall contrast combined with better contrast/shadow detail toward the lower end of the range (the Panasonic is weak there as is).

Joe: Fascinating that you think they'll keep both. It would be amazing to see retail specials at Xmas-time of around $4K on the display. [That would put the pricing curve ahead of schedule a bit as it has already delivered 2002's price cut of 25% from 2001 prices.]

Rich: Divvy is of course correct. No way around geometry despite the wizards at Panasonic.

All: I am pretty excited about this display. I look forward to getting my questions answered.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The new XGA NEC will be at Infocomm next week. It is due to land at NEC for shipping the 3rd week of June. Availability shortly thereafter.

The price of the new Panasonic will be equivalent to where the 4UY was at prior to it's price drop. Panasonic is serious about taking charge of the Plasma market. With that kind of pricing strategy, I'm sure you'll see the PDP433cmx or the new NEC XGA have to come down too. Rogo is correct with an August ETA.

Panasonic just reduced the price of their TH-37PWD4UZ model today. Makes sense with the 42 dropping. I'm sure you'll see it reflected late today or tomorrow on the net with retail pricing.

Wish I could answer more questions. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I live in the UK is there any point waiting for the HD Model? (We will all be getting to work using teleporters before we get any HD content in the UK).

Does Anyone think that there will be any significant improvements to the SD model over the current Model and if it's worth waiting for the newer plasma (I'm moving in to my new house in 4 weeks and want my plasma ASAP).

I can also get hold of the latest consumer 42" panny though a work contact for £3150 so I'm not too worried about price cuts later in the year.

Thanks

Reaps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Simple.

If you only intend to watch $ky and DVDs then buy the current panasonic TH-42PWD4BX and live happily ever after, well, at least 3 years or so ;)

If you intend to use the panel as a PC monitor for gaming, web surfing, etc you need more resolution so wait for the new XGA panel.

Alternatively, buy one at that great price, enjoy it for 6 months while things settle out in the 42/43" XGA market then review. You should be able to sell the PWD4 for ~£2500 if you wanted to upgrade.

Matt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.