AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 46 or 47 inch LCD or LED set, 3d not a priority. Want a set with at least basic apps, web browser would be a plus. Room will have varying levels of ambient light. Input sources will be satellite, BD discs mainly. Budget approx $1000. I have tried to look at a lot of reviews but good head to head comparisons are hard to find and some seem to be from web sites where there is a clear home field advantage for a particular manufacturer, hope I'm wrong on that but it seems that way. Please help with the following questions:

1) anyone know if there are a lot of full web browsing capable sets announced for later this year? Seems to me the only options in this area at this time are LG or higher priced Samsungs.

2) Picture quality of 47 inch LG? Seems most of the LG's I have seen are either very badly calibrated or significantly inferior to the image quality of comparable Samsung, Sony, or Vizio sets but wanted to see if the general impression was that this is calibration issue from the warehouse stores.

3) Is edge lit LED any better than traditional LCD or just marketing?

4) Initial impressions are that Samsung and LG are brighter, more visual "pop" but Vizio and Sony are a little truer on colors. Again, calibration or reality?

Please help with candid opinions, I have no particular dog in this fight as far as manufacturer, just don't want to walk away feeling like I really blew it on the choice here.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
The main reason I recommended it was because it fits your budget and your requirements. It also has received mostly positive reviews which is a plus these days since no TV is perfect. I hesitate to recommend Samsung edge-lit LED/LCD TVs because of inconsistent screen uniformity on many models the last couple of years. I also hesitate to recommend LG because I don't feel that the black levels are up to par with the best Sonys, Samsungs, or Sharps. However, many folks on this Forum own LGs and seem well satisfied.

I just threw Sharp into the mix because it seems like a quality brand that many people overlook. Whatever you get, I would suggest auditioning them in person before making a final decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.