AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Are we getting HDMI 2.1 support anytime soon?
HDMI 2.1 is already out in a dual laser DLP, standard throw projector manufactured by LG. It also has Dynamic Tone Mapping and nearly full DCI P3 color.

See: LG HU810PW 4K UHD Smart Dual Laser CineBeam Projector (HU810PW) | LG USA

By the way, DLP projection has been making significant strides in the technology's solid state platform when it comes to price and options, including single laser, dual lasers, and RGB tri-color lasers. Look at the UST options.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
The primary reason today for a display to have HDMI 2.1 would be for VRR (variable refresh rate) and ALLM (auto low latency mode). unfortunately it doesn't look like the HU810PW supports either.

LG has this for the current OLED series so hopefully they will implement it in an upcoming model.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
The primary reason today for a display to have HDMI 2.1 would be for VRR (variable refresh rate) and ALLM (auto low latency mode). unfortunately it doesn't look like the HU810PW supports either.

LG has this for the current OLED series so hopefully they will implement it in an upcoming model.
Link please.

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Link please.
It's right there in the description. actually what's not in the description. This would have been a massive marketing call out to be the first projector with those 2 features that appeal to the gaming community and they have a large focus on it in their OLED series.

https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-hu810pw-4k-laser-projector

LG CX 77 inch Class 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® (76.7'' Diag) (OLED77CXAUA) | LG USA

OLED series:

we've seen increased latency on the current gen DLP DMD's vs the previous gen, perhaps something baked into what TI has created and may not be easily solvable.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts

Allm not big deal though surely ? Can’t change to latency mode manually. I’d there any harm leaving in low latency mode ?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Allm not big deal though surely ? Can’t change to latency mode manually. I’d there any harm leaving in low latency mode ?
it's not a deal breaker but if they already figured it out for their TV, it would be nice to see the feature in the projector. :) The low latency modes can sometimes be associated with PQ loss although I don't see it on the LG CX it looks remarkable in HDR gaming mode!

For actual latency though, if they can't find a way to lower latency on the current gen DMD's that might leave Sony as the first manufacturer than can pull it off since they historically have the lowest latency in the past vs. Epson and JVC.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
it's not a deal breaker but if they already figured it out for their TV, it would be nice to see the feature in the projector. :) The low latency modes can sometimes be associated with PQ loss although I don't see it on the LG CX it looks remarkable in HDR gaming mode!
I think i read it didnt matter on jvc if leave in latency gaming mode, but happy to be corrected :D

For actual latency though, if they can't find a way to lower latency on the current gen DMD's that might leave Sony as the first manufacturer than can pull it off since they historically have the lowest latency in the past vs. Epson and JVC.
firsts are there for taking... jvc no doubt did firmware update this year so could mean hdmi2.1 next year ? between sony and epson. from memory jvc were first with full 18gbps bandwidth while sony epson were still doing 10.2 gbps bandwidth limited chipsets ?

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
I think i read it didnt matter on jvc if leave in latency gaming mode, but happy to be corrected :D

firsts are there for taking... jvc no doubt did firmware update this year so could mean hdmi2.1 next year ? between sony and epson. from memory jvc were first with full 18gbps bandwidth while sony epson were still doing 10.2 gbps bandwidth limited chipsets ?
hi yes i'm definitely rooting for JVC to also consider making future product changes in this area. I figured it would be easier for Sony since they already have respectable latency in current models and could likely lower it further by shutting off other video processing. Maybe JVC also has a few optimizations in their back pocket if it becomes a product focus for next year.

With the PS5, Xbox X and all newly released PC GPU's having HDMI 2.1 +VRR + ALLM, that's a whole new audience that are looking for next gen displays that can handle these features. As soon as the 3080/3090's dropped, suddenly the LG CX series became a household name on the gaming forums and reddit discussions. I was intrigued and had to see it for myself. now I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night in the last 3 weeks o_O

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Who prohibits it, and why?
At the present time Dolby has exclusivity for the commercial cinema industry with respect to the Dolby Cinemas. The Christie Dolby Cinema projector which is the predecessor to the Christie Eclipse utilizes the same high-contrast technology, albeit the performance measures significantly inferior as compared with the Eclipse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are we getting HDMI 2.1 support anytime soon? Any word on a refresh on the sony 295?

Would also love to see some projectors with a longer zoom lense like 2.5x. Seems having to place the projector at over 20 feet to get a big screen is problematic. Unless you own a mansion its just not happening!

Sure, there are ultra short throw projectors, but I haven't seen JVC or Sony in their true 4k offerings do some sort of short throw or increase the amount of zoom they provide.
Maybe I'm missing what you're looking for, but Sony put out a native-4k UST 3 years ago (surprised it hasn't received an update - up or down market - since.)

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Maybe I'm missing what you're looking for, but Sony put out a native-4k UST 3 years ago (surprised it hasn't received an update - up or down market - since.)
It did get a price reduction recently. In the UK anyway.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Interested to hear about any new projectors. BTW, this new color scheme is tough on brain and eyes, and the non-centering where everything is on left side and ads on right is too intrusive. Seems like most of the regulars in here stopped posting as much, I don't visit anymore much either. Trying to get used to this scheme is more trouble than it is worth. As many of us in here might also have some experience in color coordination, rendering, and other things.

I just have one thing to say, mods / owners of this forum or whomever has the power to change this, the 2 color schemes available (bright or dark) violates every ordinary rule in "relaxing" the eyes for heavy reading.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Interested to hear about any new projectors. BTW, this new color scheme is tough on brain and eyes, and the non-centering where everything is on left side and ads on right is too intrusive. Seems like most of the regulars in here stopped posting as much, I don't visit anymore much either. Trying to get used to this scheme is more trouble than it is worth. As many of us in here might also have some experience in color coordination, rendering, and other things.

I just have one thing to say, mods / owners of this forum or whomever has the power to change this, the 2 color schemes available (bright or dark) violates every ordinary rule in "relaxing" the eyes for heavy reading.
Nearly every motorcycle forum I frequent is now based on this same format. It appears a media conglomerate has purchased these forums and monetized them.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Nearly every motorcycle forum I frequent is now based on this same format. It appears a media conglomerate has purchased these forums and monetized them.
Might be true, but they have no idea about color formats and reading. Black can be used, but you cannot use black with giant white ads next to it or bright colors that are large (small objects with bright colors work). It's foolish and it will backfire if they don't change it, it may take a while to backfire, but it will.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No info on new JVC a projectors for 2020-2021? I’d assumed they’d have new / updated models for Fall or Winter 2020, maybe shipping end of calendar year or early 2021 (give or take pandemic delays). I was going to make the 4K upgrade this year, but not sure now if updates another year off.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
No info on new JVC a projectors for 2020-2021? I’d assumed they’d have new / updated models for Fall or Winter 2020, maybe shipping end of calendar year or early 2021 (give or take pandemic delays). I was going to make the 4K upgrade this year, but not sure now if updates another year off.
JVC have provided a free upgrade to their applauded DTM software this year which provides a great update to the functionality. So no need for a new model as the software, essentially, gives that very thing.
This, instead of releasing a new model with only updated software on, as Sony have done. Albeit at a reduced price.

201 - 220 of 362 Posts