AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
18,754 Posts
Epson already told us that they would have a new projector next year. I would like to think they are referring to native 4K. I suspect it will be LCD, rather than LCOQ.
One would hope. However, I've been saying that for several years now. :unsure:

·
Registered
18,754 Posts
$61K - $120K:

CHRISTIE GRIFFYN

OHHHHHH!! :p you've got my attention now !!!!
That's not " The One ". When they come out with a " Baby Eclipse " that's $61K, I'll get ready to sell a kidney and a testicle. :oops:

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
That's not " The One ". When they come out with a " Baby Eclipse " that's $61K, I'll get ready to sell a kidney and a testicle. :oops:
I have already offered up one kidney to my brother, think I better keep the second one. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anything new/upcoming that will offer 5,000-6,000 lumens+, with 4k HDR for a 150" or larger screen in a family room, and be under 6k? Or is this still too much to ask?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Epson already told us that they would have a new projector next year. I would like to think they are referring to native 4K. I suspect it will be LCD, rather than LCOQ.
If it builds on the unbeatable value and feature set of the 9400/LS and gets a native panel, god forbid laser and more contrast, absolute winner.

·
Registered
18,754 Posts
Anything new/upcoming that will offer 5,000-6,000 lumens+, with 4k HDR for a 150" or larger screen in a family room, and be under 6k? Or is this still too much to ask?
Native 4K ? Yes, too much to ask for at this point in time unfortunately.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can anyone comment on the ALPD 4.0 triple laser light engine. I believe version 3.0 is currently widely used by many UST manufactures. Any news on when we will see version 4.0 used in a non UST residential projector?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
[
If it builds on the unbeatable value and feature set of the 9400/LS and gets a native panel, god forbid laser and more contrast, absolute winner.
Why "forbid laser"? Epson was the first to do laser Lcos and with an excellent glass lens, power controls, and contrast that can get close to 30,000:1 native while playing 4K sources and all for less than $6,000 USD. And that was back in 2014!!!

Sony is still charging such a high premium for its laser options in its entry and mid level Lcos (below the 5000ES) and JVC...well, JVC is still using lamps there. Never count Epson out. They may just come out with another ground-breaking product with shockingly good prices.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Why "forbid laser"? Epson was the first to do laser Lcos and with an excellent glass lens, power controls, and contrast that can get close to 30,000:1 native while playing 4K sources and all for less than $6,000 USD. And that was back in 2014!!!

Sony is still charging such a high premium for its laser options in its entry and mid level Lcos (below the 5000ES) and JVC...well, JVC is still using lamps there. Never count Epson out. They may just come out with another ground-breaking product with shockingly good prices.
He means he wants laser,

Bandyka had the LS10k.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
[

It will need to be native 4K in my opinion, e-shift really does benefit the sharpness on the 9400/5050/6050 projectors but the Lcos projector they don’t get the same benefit and in fact look smooth by comparison.

Epson really need to bring Native 4K and to be honest some form of frame by frame dynamic tonal mapping. The biggest fear is that in all cases of native 4K the native contrast drops and the Epson can’t really afford to lose anymore as is.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
He means he wants laser,

Bandyka had the LS10k.
Yeah. It's a great projector for the money. Why did he sell it...maybe he wanted more brightness? They can do about 1,500 lumens but if you want the right colors, the lasers push only around 1,200 lumens calibrated in best modes.

Anyway, I have a feeling Epson is going to come out with something big this coming round. It's time!

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
It will need to be native 4K in my opinion, e-shift really does benefit the sharpness on the 9400/5050/6050 projectors but the Lcos projector they don’t get the same benefit and in fact look smooth by comparison.

Epson really need to bring Native 4K and to be honest some form of frame by frame dynamic tonal mapping. The biggest fear is that in all cases of native 4K the native contrast drops and the Epson can’t really afford to lose anymore as is.
The lens on the LS series is different and convergence on it is near perfect nothing like my old Epson 5030. But as you say with native 4K, I think that's really the only direction the company can go to move ahead after the LS10K and LS10.5K...that and maybe more brightness.

As far as contrast, remember, we're talking laser Lcos/Lcoq. For example, the JVC RS4500 can only do about 7,500:1 to 8:000:1 native contrast with open aperture, but with laser dimming improves significantly, dynamically.

The LS unlike the lamp Epson series could do close to 30K:1 closing down the aperture without laser dimming. So why can't a native 4K LS with active laser dimming be competitive similar to what the RS4500 does, but for probably definitely a fraction of the latter's price.

It's time. Let' see.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes hopefully next year we get some new 4K projectors that will give more choice. Epson needs a native 4K HT projector now.

OT: Also... more eye candy for our projectors, the only way to get that cinematic experience!

IT’S OFFICIAL: THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY & THE HOBBIT TRILOGY ARRIVE ON 4K ULTRA HD ON 12/1!

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Yes hopefully next year we get some new 4K projectors that will give more choice. Epson needs a native 4K HT projector now.
I don't see why Epson would create a 4K panel that is so different. The Epson LS10500 or LS10000 average around 20,000:1 native with their panels without closing down their apertures, which is better than the native I measured on the Sony that I had. Sony has decent contrast with its laser series, so an Epson native 4K laser should be just as good or better.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Yeah. It's a great projector for the money. Why did he sell it...maybe he wanted more brightness? They can do about 1,500 lumens but if you want the right colors, the lasers push only around 1,200 lumens calibrated in best modes.

Anyway, I have a feeling Epson is going to come out with something big this coming round. It's time!
Back then no tone mapping, just HDR to SDR, and the LS had no native UHD HDR or WCG support. Was logical to move on. I cant remember what the next projector was, but he ended up with an 9500 and was wrapped. Think he had the very next serial number to my unit :)

I saw that LS machine, it was good. Jumped out of black a bit hard though, but in hindsight, it would surely do a lot better than the DLP I have here :)

Would love to see a native LCOS machine from Epson with laser, I would buy it, but I feel like we will see LCD, which ends up having quite low contrast, though it will be very sharp.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Back then no tone mapping, just HDR to SDR, and the LS had no native UHD HDR or WCG support. Was logical to move on. I cant remember what the next projector was, but he ended up with an 9500 and was wrapped. Think he had the very next serial number to my unit :)

I saw that LS machine, it was good. Jumped out of black a bit hard though, but in hindsight, it would surely do a lot better than the DLP I have here :)

Would love to see a native LCOS machine from Epson with laser, I would buy it, but I feel like we will see LCD, which ends up having quite low contrast, though it will be very sharp.
With the Linker, I could get the LS10000 to do SDR 2020 (with DCI filter) using the UB900 at the time. However, it really didn't quite have enough light for UHD on my set-up. But I still liked the LS10000 and would have probably still kept it (especially as my eventual 820 would have helped tone mapping), but the grey uniformity issues drove me nuts as I was seeing the problems in content. I went through multiple swaps with the same issue before Epson refunded me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't see any signs that a new JVC exclusivity flagship is coming next year. We might see JVC inserting lasers in the equivalent of the current NX models first and maybe sooner than people expected, but that's just my guess.

That’s my gut feeling. NX5/7/9 equivalents with laser in 2021? Do you think they could do that and keep the low end under 10k? I know no one knows but fun to speculate.

I will probably put a new bulb in my 790r and wait for a laser offering from someone worthy of the upgrade.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
That’s my gut feeling. NX5/7/9 equivalents with laser in 2021? Do you think they could do that and keep the low end under 10k? I know no one knows but fun to speculate.

I will probably put a new bulb in my 790r and wait for a laser offering from someone worthy of the upgrade.
Each of the NX series has a port area pre-built in, apparently for a laser, so it appears JVC has made the preparations. So the question is when. My guess is with Sony having a few laser models, all the cheering about relatively inexpensive triple/RGB laser USTs, dual laser DLPs, and laser DLPs, that this may force JVC's hand to release laser for the masses sooner than later.

As far as price, it's difficult to say. With laser light engines, consumers won't upgrade as often. I will say their lamp projectors were always priced competitively in my opinion, for what they offered.

To sum it up, I haven't seen an Lcos with a laser light engine that I didn't like. So, if JVC brings its best with laser added and in the price range you suggest -- all I have to say is look out!

41 - 60 of 297 Posts