AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 297 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Could you reconsider and include UST projectors in the compendium?
***I think this is the hardcore, JVC/Sony, etc., standard rear projector crowd/thread. It’s unfortunate that UST Projectors aren’t included since the greatest growth potential, IMHO, is with UST’s due to their ease of installation and not having to have a dedicated dark room or hassle with ceiling issues, beam support, etc. Many consumers will try, for the first time, a projector in their living room or dedicated HT area, if they have room for one. This is all good news. I was introduced to the wonderful world of the large screen experience (100”) with an inexpensive, short throw BenQ W1080ST - which was the only projector that would fit in my smaller man cave basement. I didn’t upgrade to a 4K short throw PJ because I really couldn’t find a replacement for my BenQ and I didn’t want to hassle with a whole new setup to fit my screen. I’m aware that projector purists will dismiss UST Projectors and talk about black levels and other advantages of standard projectors, but I think this thread is missing out on a whole new segment of buyers who would welcome 2020 info on UST Projectors.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Are there any actual 4k UST projectors out there aside from the Sony?

The thread says 4k projectors I think it's time that resolution became literal.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Not this year.
you mean no epson for 2020 ? can understand that,

Epson already told us that they would have a new projector next year. I would like to think they are referring to native 4K. I suspect it will be LCD, rather than LCOQ.
so something in 2021 then ? would be great if there is a native 4k !

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
He means he wants laser,

Bandyka had the LS10k.
I still remember your comment when you first saw it my cave: "looks great but flat compared to the JVC" :)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
[

Why "forbid laser"? Epson was the first to do laser Lcos and with an excellent glass lens, power controls, and contrast that can get close to 30,000:1 native while playing 4K sources and all for less than $6,000 USD. And that was back in 2014!!!

Sony is still charging such a high premium for its laser options in its entry and mid level Lcos (below the 5000ES) and JVC...well, JVC is still using lamps there. Never count Epson out. They may just come out with another ground-breaking product with shockingly good prices.
That's what I was referring to friend. Just like the 9300/9400.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Back then no tone mapping, just HDR to SDR, and the LS had no native UHD HDR or WCG support. Was logical to move on. I cant remember what the next projector was, but he ended up with an 9500 and was wrapped. Think he had the very next serial number to my unit :)

I saw that LS machine, it was good. Jumped out of black a bit hard though, but in hindsight, it would surely do a lot better than the DLP I have here :)

Would love to see a native LCOS machine from Epson with laser, I would buy it, but I feel like we will see LCD, which ends up having quite low contrast, though it will be very sharp.
Yeah I did love the laser part of it, great optics too and the pixel gap was much narrower than of the 9400 so looked a lot smoother. I went from it to the 9500 and yes that was that, I settled with if for the longest I have owned a projector for and would still have it if I could get it back. I kept swapping PJ's before and after regularly and I suspect it will go on like that again until I find something similar with laser guts. My comment still stands form back then, I wish the LS and 9500 had a love child, that contrast and laser would be just fantastic.

I was one of the first to work out the WCG coverage on he LS as well and I think the link is still in my signature but no longer works. in WCG SDR it covered something like 103-105% of P3 years ago.

So yes along those lines hoping that EPSON pulls some tricks and enters the 4K market soon. Although I am 99% certain we will be seeing JVC converting the N range to laser as well. Will be interesting to see how the contrast will be affected, up or down.

I prefer EPSON's method of feature set and functionality on their projectors over JVC. Sony I won't touch for a very long time or ever unless they rebuild their reputation and come up with long term proven products once again, I mean no panel issues, excellent optics (not just on their top end products) proper DTM not patch work, truly new product range etc but let's not go there I crossed Sony off my list long ago.

Yep we've had the serial numbers following, two of the very first ones arriving the first shipment form Japan. I went to the warehouse right after they came off the docks :)

Even some dealers came to me asking if I wanted to swap mine for a Z1 for some time so they could test it as even them couldn't get their hands on one :)

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I think it will be CEDIA 2021 when Epson introduces a new model.
I ma not sure anyone will be sticking to the regular schedule given how the world is going to s...t and commercial cinemas are shutting down for good and a rather huge home cinema market is opening up to exploit.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I ma not sure anyone will be sticking to the regular schedule given how the world is going to s...t and commercial cinemas are shutting down for good and a rather huge home cinema market is opening up to exploit.
***Excellent point. And folks are also looking for houses, away from the city, that are large enough to accommodate home offices and dedicated spaces for HT setups. Now is a great time to look at a projector and the big screen experience! Welcome to the party.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
***Excellent point. And folks are also looking for houses, away from the city, that are large enough to accommodate home offices and dedicated spaces for HT setups. Now is a great time to look at a projector and the big screen experience! Welcome to the party.
Yep I recently moved to a farm myself and couldn't imagine it any other way after spending 20 years in Sydney. Already planning my dedicated detached cinema building, similar to what Arrow-AV did except I'll be happy with a single auditorium :)

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
Yep I recently moved to a farm myself and couldn't imagine it any other way after spending 20 years in Sydney. Already planning my dedicated detached cinema building, similar to what Arrow-AV did except I'll be happy with a single auditorium :)
I may be building a detached cinema building at my next house.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Can't wait to get through this whole Covid c...p, it really breaks the world. Things will not be the same after that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
***Single auditorium, detached cinema building - - love those words! 🏣

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Well the building is almost ready View attachment 3044562 and I can’t wait for an all new high lumen high contrast projector that costs less than 30k to hit the market
***So say expenses get a little tight. How about a renter in the projector room with projector rights included? : > )

Reactions: ece2k2

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Hi folks, I have added UST projectors, listed separately 🙂
***Wonderful. Thank you. Great thread(s)! Exciting time for the projector world. A lot more folks are going to be looking for that theater experience due to COVID-19 and theaters closing (unfortunate). For all you early adopters going way back....you always knew the value of the large screen experience.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

Thats my Home /Setup :) .... nearest neighbour is several KM,s away....My Theatre is 80mtrs from the main Dwelling/House.. i could NEVER live with neighbours in close proximity ....

As @ARROW-AV and @Javs will tell you....I live in the "Middle Of Nowhere" 😀

61 - 80 of 297 Posts