AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
multiple giveaways that it's a hoax. someone in may 2020 had some fun with photoshop
  • Dolby Vision compatibility
  • Color rendering up to 1,070 million colors
  • tri-laser beams able to disconnect (??)
The video game industry is now larger than the movie and music industry combined. Folks are fighting tooth and nail to buy the next gen Xbox X, Sony PS5 and PC Nvidia 3080/3090. The common theme in HDMI 2.1 and systems finally able to exceed 4K/60 framerates.

Epson could be a prime position to target this massive audience and update the 5050 with 4K native LCD panels and HDMI 2.1 and keep it at their impulsive buy price of ~$3K US MSRP.

It's surprising Sony missed this opportunity with their latest 2020 projector updates given the PS5 is likely going to be wildly popular as previous generations. Sony/JVC and other manufacturers should definitely have HDMI 2.1 compatible projectors on their roadmap for next year.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
multiple giveaways that it's a hoax. someone in may 2020 had some fun with photoshop
or perhaps a desperate Epson aficionado who did this to put Epson under pressure… ;)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Epson could be a prime position to target this massive audience and update the 5050 with 4K native LCD panels and HDMI 2.1 and keep it at their impulsive buy price of ~$3K US MSRP.
if anyone can epson can !

It's surprising Sony missed this opportunity with their latest 2020 projector updates given the PS5 is likely going to be wildly popular as previous generations. Sony/JVC and other manufacturers should definitely have HDMI 2.1 compatible projectors on their roadmap for next year.
agree sony's this years release such a disappointment for missed opportunity more than anything...

I do think perhaps next year will bring more...

we shouldn't at this stage underestimate the utter mess 2.1 is right now either ... have a peep at the cables required to support hdmi 2.1 feature set... an even bigger mess seems than what cables were like at launch of 4k uhd. we have ruipros failing.... denons giving blank screens. apparently issues with hdmi chip set specs... lack of robust means to test cables...so be a little while for all that to settle I suspect..

am happy to sit all that out :D

·
Registered
13,357 Posts

agree sony's this years release such a disappointment for missed opportunity more than anything...

we shouldn't at this stage underestimate the utter mess 2.1 is right now either ... have a peep at the cables required to support hdmi 2.1 feature set... an even bigger mess seems than what cables were like at launch of 4k uhd. we have ruipros failing.... denons giving blank screens. apparently issues with hdmi chip set specs... lack of robust means to test cables...so be a little while for all that to settle I suspect..

I'm not sure it's really that bad. Following a number of forum members here running the LG CX OLED's with their Nvidia 3080/3090's and several folks are running these inexpensive cables without issues and these GPU's are pushing high bandwidth at 4K/120.

i'm likely going to pick up the 48" CX as a gaming monitor to hold me over until one of these HDMI 2.1 projectors is released next year. I mainly play racing games and have the steering wheel setup, it's been a blast playing.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The specs on this epson are too good to be true honestly, i wish they are though.

·
Registered
18,639 Posts

I'm with you. I have everything HDMI more or less working perfectly in my theater. I have no need or desire to go mess that up !

·
Premium Member
24,144 Posts
Assuming that's on/off CR, how can a lens possibly affect it?
A fixed iris. Just like every other projector manufacturer out there. Most lenses are not truly completely open pathways. So its still technically native contrast.

Well sure, an iris can increase native CR; a lens cannot (though it can increase intrascene CR).

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
its gotta be a hoax sadly. I hope im wrong

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It is definitely a hoax. Dolby hasn't even defined a spec for home projection and they would have to provide license in order for Epson to market as supporting Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Well sure, an iris can increase native CR; a lens cannot (though it can increase intrascene CR).
I think thats semantics, a projector lens with a fixed iris plate will look like a lens to you upon Inspection , the lens iris is not adjustable it will come from the factory like that. Thats how they are getting more contrast.

Barco and Christie call it a high contrast lens. And it increases the projectors native contrast.

This is whats inside the two barco lenses... With a fixed lens projector you would have no idea and call it native.

·
Registered
29,705 Posts
I think thats semantics, a projector lens with a fixed iris plate will look like a lens to you upon Inspection , the lens iris is not adjustable it will come from the factory like that. Thats how they are getting more contrast.

Barco and Christie call it a high contrast lens. And it increases the projectors native contrast.

You asked, that's the answer.
And decreased lumen output. Everything comes at a cost. But if you have a projector with a ton of lumens it is a quick and easy way to get a big picture quality improvement. Just don't make the iris out of cardboard. :)

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
And decreased lumen output. Everything comes at a cost. But if you have a projector with a ton of lumens it is a quick and easy way to get a big picture quality improvement. Just don't make the iris out of cardboard. :)
I tried that and it burned ;)

The thing is with projectors that have a non removable lens, this is just done at the factory, you wouldn't know that it's decreasing light because it will be specced as such from the start.

I started with 4500 Calibrated lumens on this Panasonic so I am going to keep decreasing iris plate until I get down to 2500 calibrated lumens and see how much contrast I can squeeze from it. So far with the one I added I gained 40% contrast and only lost 10% light

Using metal plates at the moment. Picked up some hole punches of multiple sizes so easy to do.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I'm not sure it's really that bad. Following a number of forum members here running the LG CX OLED's with their Nvidia 3080/3090's and several folks are running these inexpensive cables without issues and these GPU's are pushing high bandwidth at 4K/120.

i'm likely going to pick up the 48" CX as a gaming monitor to hold me over until one of these HDMI 2.1 projectors is released next year. I mainly play racing games and have the steering wheel setup, it's been a blast playing.
still very short cabers there zombie...

the ones falling over are the supposed 8k ruipro... us PJ users typically running longer 20-30ft lengths and longer :) mine is 32ft 10m still no premium certified cable I know there let alone the supposed mandatory certified ultra high speed cable I would need to support hdmi 2.1 chips sets...

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
still very short cabers there zombie...

the ones falling over are the supposed 8k ruipro... us PJ users typically running longer 20-30ft lengths and longer :) mine is 32ft 10m still no premium certified cable I know there let alone the supposed mandatory certified ultra high speed cable I would need to support hdmi 2.1 chips sets...
I just picked up the LG CX tonight and will be testing a number of different cables I have including 20 and 30 foot cables just to see what happens.

HDMI 2.1 is here now, the cable manufacturers will figure it out. :)

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I just picked up the LG CX tonight and will be testing a number of different cables I have including 20 and 30 foot cables just to see what happens.
do post your findings here , am sure be folk keen to hear :)

HDMI 2.1 is here now, the cable manufacturers will figure it out. :)
unfortunately still finding its feet... like denon that seem to only manage 40gbps rather than 48 ! and such :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
do post your findings here , am sure be folk keen to hear :)

unfortunately still finding its feet... like denon that seem to only manage 40gbps rather than 48 ! and such :)
All LG X series TVs also has 40 gbps rather than 48... A downgrade from the 9 series😡But this is off topic, please give us more rumors about the new Epson! 😊

Reactions: Bandyka

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
All LG X series TVs also has 40 gbps rather than 48... A downgrade from the 9 series😡But this is off topic, please give us more rumors about the new Epson! 😊
But we need some substance in this thread, like in the other New Projector thread.

There's nothing here, so please post up if anyone has seen any of these new ones. I would post my findings concerning a pre-production Samsung LSP9T, tri-laser RGB DLP to get things started, but Nigel said the USTs are in a separate category.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
But we need some substance in this thread, like in the other New Projector thread.

There's nothing here, so please post up if anyone has seen any of these new ones. I would post my findings concerning a pre-production Samsung LSP9T, tri-laser RGB DLP to get things started, but Nigel said the USTs are in a separate category.
hi Az, I saw nigel clarified and was accommodating ... the OP now includes UST ... so go for it :D

·
Registered
4,554 Posts

I'd be really really curios to see contrast measurements on that thing though.

101 - 120 of 208 Posts