AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a matter of time. http://www.tmrzoo.com/?p=501

of course, there is no 4k source material.. but it does beg the question if 1080p is just an interim solution.

no pricing info - but like all things, it will come down over the years. And if the PJ is capable of projecting on a 15 ft screen, that sounds like home theater territory to me!!

And check out those lumens.. wowza.

----

(p.s. didn't see this posted anywhere.. if dupe, then delete)

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The Japanese have developed UDH(Ultra HD), which is like 6 times the resolution of 1080p. Thing is, they recorded 15 minutes of footage that ate up 3 terabytes. We're a good 20 years from that being marketable in a consumer format.

Really 1080p is a very high resolution, on my JVC with a 147in HP screen, I can't imagine an image much sharper. It's already amazing, does anyone think there would be a notable difference even on a screen my size?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/14236921

Really 1080p is a very high resolution, on my JVC with a 147in HP screen, I can't imagine an image much sharper. It's already amazing, does anyone think there would be a notable difference even on a screen my size?

Depends on how close you sit.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby /forum/post/14236415

but it does beg the question if 1080p is just an interim solution.

There's always going to be something new coming down the pike. In this industry, everything is an interim solution.

That said, I think we can take a breather for a little while with 1080p. Most people (ordinary people, not us) still have not switched to Blu-Ray, and when they do, 1080p will be what they want. Even HDTV is still not widely embraced by "normal" people, as there are still not 200 channels of it.

4K will definitely be cool when it comes though. I saw it at CEDIA '07, and was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
all I know is that when there finally is a consumer 4k resolution projector it better damn well be a light cannon for the bigger than average hometheater screens.... right now more people are concerned about finding a high lumen 1080p than increasing the resolution...

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
20 years? Meet you back in this thread in 5 years, I'll bet we are throwing our 10TB drives in the trash for 100TB drives. Look at the people working on TB+ disc tech right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/14236921

The Japanese have developed UDH(Ultra HD), which is like 6 times the resolution of 1080p. Thing is, they recorded 15 minutes of footage that ate up 3 terabytes. We're a good 20 years from that being marketable in a consumer format.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
You could be right, I've given up trying to guess how fast things will change. Lets try to analyse a bit.

Ok 15 min took up 3TB, so with compression lets say 15min per 1TB, for arguments sake. Average movie being 90 min, thats 6TB, so to account for longer movies and extra features, studios would want say 8-10TB media to work with. Well only recently are we seeing 1TB drives on the market, and still fairly pricey. 5 years is a reasonable esimate I think for 10TB hard drives to become the norm(5 years ago I had a 100gb HD I believe, with my current 3 hard drives combined I have 500gb, not a huge leap given the time span).

I can't figure how soon we could expect a portable media capable of 10TB(be it CD sized discs or something else) based on the above estimate, but I wouldn't imagine any sooner than 10 years minimum. Then you have to figure that studios will want to let Blu Ray get good and established, exausting their catalog completely before another format comes out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Guys,

The consumer 4k home theater projector is available now from Meridian. It will set you back $175k, but hey, it's only money. Here is some info on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby /forum/post/14236415

Well, it was a matter of time. http://www.tmrzoo.com/?p=501

of course, there is no 4k source material.. but it does beg the question if 1080p is just an interim solution.

no pricing info - but like all things, it will come down over the years. And if the PJ is capable of projecting on a 15 ft screen, that sounds like home theater territory to me!!

And check out those lumens.. wowza.

I think 4k has a good place in home theater and the source material resolution is irrelevant. What 4k brings us is several things. It completely gets rid of screen door for most practical purposes, probably getting very close to the look of CRT as far as smoothness between pixels. It also has enough resolution to be designed in the projector as native 2.35 panel by actually not using some of the panel.

1080p as a source resolution is plenty for it right now, the real benefits of 4k come from areas other than source resolution for home theater use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think Blu-Ray needs to win over standard DVD first before there can be talk of 4k display devices overtaking Blu-Ray.

In most home cinema set-ups (seating distance), I doubt that people's eyes are able to visually resolve the difference between 1080p and 4k.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolsson /forum/post/14241974

I doubt that people's eyes are able to visually resolve the difference between 1080p and 4k.

Considering most do not seam to notice edge enhancement or noise reduction on HD transfers I have to agree with you.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolsson /forum/post/14241974

I think Blu-Ray needs to win over standard DVD first before there can be talk of 4k display devices overtaking Blu-Ray.

In most home cinema set-ups (seating distance), I doubt that people's eyes are able to visually resolve the difference between 1080p and 4k.

But I sit 1/4 screen width away.

Seriously, these are really geared towards commercial/flight sim/etc.... Although I am sure some put them in their homes.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Rumored...we'll have to see. My point is that on typical home theater screens most would never be able to resolve the added resolution (limitation of the human eye more than anything).

But Art...I will contact you when I get pricing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts