AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, just picked up a new 4K 65" TV and am well aware that the Xbox one doesn't support gaming in 4K, but i thought it had a setting in the video section for selecting 720p/1080p/2160p. Mine still only shows 1080p as an option!? thoughts....

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
No it only has up to 1080p. Same for PS4. The only thing in the box is that the HDMI cable is rated to support 4K. Might have 4K video streaming capability in the future is my guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I believe both companies will support in the 'future', when ever that maybe.

Not sure about PS4s method ( i thought i had heard the hardware might be able to get the jib done at a later point itself) but i know Microsoft thought they could manage a bigger resolution and framerate via cloud systems, helping the system add processing power to help.

But who knows if it will ever getup to 4k standard with a decent framerate.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
thoughts of 4k make me lol.

We are living in a 720p world. Both next gen consoles are struggling with 1080p. There isn't many if any cable and sat. providers putting out more then 720p/1080i. Pick your fav streaming service and its probably not true 1080p. We are lucky ff both consoles steadily put out 1080p from this point on

So, what is the point of 4k? unless its another remake of Atari classics - I don't see any console doing 4k this gen.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3  /t/1522160/new-4k-tv-and-the-xbox-one#post_24474720

thoughts of 4k make me lol.

We are living in a 720p world. Both next gen consoles are struggling with 1080p. There isn't many if any cable and sat. providers putting out more then 720p/1080i. Pick your fav streaming service and its probably not true 1080p. We are lucky ff both consoles steadily put out 1080p from this point on

So, what is the point of 4k? unless its another remake of Atari classics - I don't see any console doing 4k this gen.

Not for games, for now. What about 4K streaming that Netflix has planned?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3  /t/1522160/new-4k-tv-and-the-xbox-one#post_24474720

Yeah, no consoles will be 4K this gen, but PC sure as heck will. In 2016, when Xbox One gamers and PS4 gamers are enjoying Batman Arkham 5: Special Bat Boy Edition, PC gamers will be playing it in glorious 4K (assuming they spent enough on their rig ) Don't throw 4K out with the bathwater, just cause these consoles aren't up to snuff.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if 4k never takes off and disappears by the wayside like other niche technologies such as laser disc. You have all these 1080p but 1080p is still not mainstream. Maybe if OTA ever gets the ability very quickly to broadcast 4k, then it's possible for it to take off. Right now, I can't get 1080p from the HD channels I normally purchase from cable. Streaming or BR is your best bet for now. And streaming 1080p requires a very nice connection. 4k will probably wind up like 3d. It'll get some hype because of the setups that people will see at B&Ms. Then when the average person finds out what it will take to get that 4k enjoyment and how little of it there is, that'll be where the interest ends. A decent percentage of us AVSers will get ourselves a 4k set just because we like being on the cutting edge. But we are far from representing the majority of people out there. These are just my thoughts though..

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1522160/new-4k-tv-and-the-xbox-one#post_24485988

Yeah, no consoles will be 4K this gen, but PC sure as heck will. In 2016, when Xbox One gamers and PS4 gamers are enjoying Batman Arkham 5: Special Bat Boy Edition, PC gamers will be playing it in glorious 4K (assuming they spent enough on their rig ) Don't throw 4K out with the bathwater, just cause these consoles aren't up to snuff.
Something about that just sounds particularly wrong. lol

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I wouldn't put any money towards anything 4k right now. The TV's out today have too many other issues, motion etc. 4k tv's are even worse. We do not need higher resolutions that only 1% of the world will use 5% of the time. We need TV's that are better at motion, more colors, better colors, better blacks, more energy efficient, affordable larger sizes, no ghosting, tearing, burn in. The list doesn't end. Basically we need to get rid of LCD's. Move to another tech like OLED or whatever and make it affordable. I'm sick of the current crop of TV's and all of their related problems. 4k is just simply not needed right now. Don't get me started on gimmicky curved displays.

PC gaming is an entirely different game, and thread. But yes, that is where it'll start .

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
DirecTV has some pay movie channels with the resolution of 1080p @ 24fps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi, just picked up a new 4K 65" TV and am well aware that the Xbox one doesn't support gaming in 4K, but i thought it had a setting in the video section for selecting 720p/1080p/2160p. Mine still only shows 1080p as an option!? thoughts....
Congratulations. Which one did you get and how is the lag/lack of lag for gaming?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts