AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to connect a new Samsung 4K TV to my old Denon AVR 5803 receiver. I don't care about video switching. I am just trying to get the sound output from the TV to the receiver. Can I use the Optical Digital out from the TV to the Optical Digital in on the receiver?

·
Registered
21,152 Posts
Yes, optical output is there just for that reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. My concern is that the optical out on a new TV is not compatible with the optical in on an 18 year old receiver. Have there been any changes to the optical protocols in the last 18 years?

·
Registered
972 Posts
It works the same way. It may have several different names (Optical, TOSLink, SPDIF), but backwards compatibility is a consideration for manufacturers.
You can check the manuals of both to make sure they have support. The physical connector shape is another indicator of compatibility.

If you're still not sure, nothing bad would happen even if there was a change, since it transmits light, not electricity.

Thanks for the quick response. My concern is that the optical out on a new TV is not compatible with the optical in on an 18 year old receiver. Have there been any changes to the optical protocols in the last 18 years?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I suspected. I ordered the cable and will try it when the cable arrives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts