AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got a sont str da3300es receiver and am looking to upgrade my speaker setup alog with it. I auditioned the martin logan series 8" today and fell in love with them, but my receiver only puts out 100watts per channel. Is this enough power, and if so what other speakers would be a good match for these fronts. Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14331265

i recently got a sont str da3300es receiver and am looking to upgrade my speaker setup alog with it. I auditioned the martin logan series 8" today and fell in love with them, but my receiver only puts out 100watts per channel. Is this enough power, and if so what other speakers would be a good match for these fronts. Any input is greatly appreciated

There are so many good choices and it really depends on your budget. I have tried several of the Polk speakers from Monitor to LSi, and I like the Polk RTi8/CSi3 speakers for their performance and sale price. JR.com has these on sale. Check the web for other sources. I particularly like the cherry finish. I own these and have them setup in my master bedroom system. I think that you would be happy with them. Search the posts for Polk RTi speakers and you will see that they are many happy users. Many people like the Martin Logans too. They are more expensive. I recommend some research and try to listen to some to see what you would prefer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your response. I currently own older polk speakers and have been very happy with them. I also listend to the speakers your suggested and was very impressed but i was absolutly blown away by the ML, i just dont know if my receiver has enough power to run them

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14332015

thank you for your response. I currently own older polk speakers and have been very happy with them. I also listend to the speakers your suggested and was very impressed but i was absolutly blown away by the ML, i just dont know if my receiver has enough power to run them

I know what you mean. I really enjoy my Polk LSi speakers, but they really need an external amp that can drive 4 ohm speakers. If the Martin Logans blow you away then they are the speakers for you. If you can afford them, then a separate power amp such as the Emotiva UPA-7 should be no problem to purchase and it should provide enough power for your needs.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14332092

how much would an amp like that cost?

I checked to make sure that your receiver had preamp outputs. I did not see them listed in the Sony specs at the following website: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665185978

But i found them on the rear of the receiver.

It looks like you have a very nice receiver.

The UPA-7 amp can be found on the following website: http://www.emotiva.com/upa7.html and you can see the price listed there.

What specific Martin Logans were you looking at?

My guess is that your Sony receiver will work, but the speakers, like most high end speakers, would sound better with more power.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was looking at the ML source 8" for fronts, the ML Matinee Dual 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker and the Fresco 4" for the rears. I Havent heard the center channel in person yet, so that isnt for sure and i dont know what ill do fo ra sub yet, all i know is i want a 12"

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14332326

i was looking at the ML source 8" for fronts, the ML Matinee Dual 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker and the Fresco 4" for the rears. I Havent heard the center channel in person yet, so that isnt for sure and i dont know what ill do fo ra sub yet, all i know is i want a 12"

I checked the specs on the Martin Logans you mentioned.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/specs/source.html

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/specs/matinee.html

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/specs/fresco_i.html

ML Source are 5 ohms, 200 watts,

ML Matinee are 4-6 ohms, 150 watts,

ML Fresco are 5 ohms, 150 watts.

I checked your receiver's manual and found that there is a 4 ohm setting on page 42 that can be set for your speakers. I would still recommend an external amp to maximize the speaker performance, since your receiver, as nice as it is, will be under-powered for all channels.

When you listened to the speakers, what receiver/amp was used?

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros /forum/post/14332631

it was a pioneer ellite running at 140 watts, not sure which one

The Pioneer Elite are excellent receivers. I personally think that they are among the best. That being said, many Pioneer Elite users will still use external amps to better utilize the high end speakers performance.

I looked at your receiver's power rating on page 134 of the manual.

85 watts per channel in stereo 4 ohms 20hz - 20khz.

The surround is rated at 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms but only at 1kHz which is a useless rating since we are interested in the rating over the sound range.

External power amps are generally rated over a broad frequency range and can usually guarantee constanct power from all channels simultaneously which is something receivers can't do. All that extra weight in an amplifier must be there for a reason.

Speakers need their power on the low end especially, so that is why external amps are especially needed. Hope his helps you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes theis def does help, can you recomend an amp that would be best for the speakers i listed above under 1k, thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If your doing all Martin Logan's, i'd go for a Descent i. I just ordered one in Bubinga finish (African Rosewood) 3 10" drivers, 3 seperate 250 watt amplifiers. Digs pretty deep, 18hz and lower with room gain i'm betting.. BTW, i use a Pioneer Elite receiver as a pre/pro. B&K Ref 200.7 amp.

Descent i - http://www.us.martinlogan.com/displa...descent_i.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts